What's new
The truth about net-booting NAOMI...

1. It's a pain in the ass and expensive to get all of the needed parts to complete a working setup to net-boot NAOMI.

2. It takes longer to boot up a game than most other multi-kits.

3. To reduce potential issues, use a good working SUN power supply.

4. But once you have the setup working good, it's totally worth it as there are tons of great games on the NAOMI!

I love mine! (of course a Darksoft NAOMI Mult Flash Cart would be totally kick ass!)

:D

I hate netbooting with avengence so I purchased the CF-reader from Mitsu and flashed to fw 4.02.

I was lucky as we decommissioned an IBM XIV at work and I had the job of stripping it down for recycling - turns out each tray boots from a 1Gb industrial CF-Card so I got 38 cards for free.

So I have all the naomi games I want to play on CF's, they boot 100% of the time and because I physically plug a game in I can leave it in the cab power-cycle it etc as normal.

Initial load times seem a little slower but it works like a stock naomi system.

I'd still like a flash cart solution (even if it was a single game loaded via USB) so I could run it like a standard cartridge based system using a capcom converter in my JAMMA cab

netbooting is ok, but is subpar for...

* unatended uses, like when my kids want to fire up the cab to play monkey ball.
* power use, the blast psu can barely handle it
* needs too many extra parts...troubleshooting the bad link in the chain is total PITA
* slow boot

CF is what I normally use these days, but the it has most of the same drawbacks as netbooting.

not having to dick with dimm boards would be the pinacle of naomi home use.

I play 90% of my NAOMI Games on original carts these days.

yes power consumption is lower and boot times are faster
but those of you who think it's going to fix the whole "it didn't boot this time so I need to re-seat the board and try again" it wont.

The only way to fix that is to clean the connectors well and hope for the best reguardless of whether you're using a cart, a DIMM board or some theoretical multi.

netbooting is ok, but is subpar for...

* unatended uses, like when my kids want to fire up the cab to play monkey ball.
* power use, the blast psu can barely handle it
* needs too many extra parts...troubleshooting the bad link in the chain is total PITA
* slow boot

CF is what I normally use these days, but the it has most of the same drawbacks as netbooting.

not having to dick with dimm boards would be the pinacle of naomi home use.
I tried to setup my Naomi with Netdimm in my NNC yesterday and realized the situation there is even worse than on a Blast!

The Sun PSU in the cabinet alone simply can't handle powering everything and a second PSU is needed for netbooting :-/

I even tried two different Sun PSUs hoping to get the whole setup working with just one power supply.

Interesting, are you powering the pi through the Naomi?
I have a Pi NetBoot setup with my NNC and no issue at all, but my Pi (+LCD touchscreen :/ )is currently powered separately. Also runs on a Naomi 2.

Last edited:
The Sun PSU in the cabinet alone simply can't handle powering everything and a second PSU is needed for netbooting :-/
Either you're doing something very wrong or your PSUs are in dire need of a rebuild. The SUN PSU in the New Net city is the specific, single PSU that a Net-Boot setup is supposed to be run on.

I don't even know how to respond to that except to point out that literally tens of thousands of Net Cities around the world run a NAOMI with a DIMM board (usually with a GDROM sucking power in addition to the DIMM board) because that's how Sega intended them to be used.

If you all hate netbooting so much, I'll happily trade a regular dimm for a netdimm to get that nasty sucker off your hands.

Interesting, are you powering the pi through the Naomi?
I have a Pi NetBoot setup with my NNC and no issue at all, but my Pi (+LCD touchscreeb :/ )is currently powered separately. Also runs on a Naomi 2.
Yeah Pi powered from Naomi here

Either you're doing something very wrong or your PSUs are in dire need of a rebuild. The SUN PSU in the New Net city is the specific, single PSU that a Net-Boot setup is supposed to be run on.
I don't even know how to respond to that except to point out that literally tens of thousands of Net Cities around the world run a NAOMI with a DIMM board (usually with a GDROM sucking power in addition to the DIMM board) because that's how Sega intended them to be used.
Not sure what I could be doing wrong, but anything is possible!

With my original cab PSU I get a Error 22 (Naomi can't communicate with dimm board), if I unplug that and hook up the spare Sun PSU I've always used for netbooting in it's place, the Naomi will try to start up but it seems it cannot draw sufficient amps and shuts down after a few seconds. Everything else on the cab including monitor remains working.

If I disconnect the rest of the cab stuff (e.g. JVS I/O board) then I'm able to netboot off the second PSU but of course get an I/O error after the game loads.

I'm probably just going to drop in an old ATX PSU to power the Naomi alone and let the cab PSU handle the rest.

That or pull the Naomi back out and setup another system that's less of a pain.

With my original cab PSU I get a Error 22 (Naomi can't communicate with dimm board), if I unplug that and hook up the spare Sun PSU I've always used for netbooting in it's place, the Naomi will try to start up but it seems it cannot draw sufficient amps and shuts down after a few seconds. Everything else on the cab including monitor remains working.

If I disconnect the rest of the cab stuff (e.g. JVS I/O board) then I'm able to netboot off the second PSU but of course get an I/O error after the game loads.
what model# psu is it?

what model# psu is it?
MP-22160A is the original cab PSU
MP-22160B is the secondary PSU

Both have identical amps ratings for the various lines

the model number should be something like:
400-5397
400-5443
and posted in large numbers on the top sticker.

400-5443 should be for NNC and 400-5397 should be for early model Net cities and NAOMI Universals.

Some may also have been upgraded to Lindbergh PSUs: 400-5457

the model number should be something like:
400-5397
400-5443
and posted in large numbers on the top sticker.

400-5443 should be for NNC and 400-5397 should be for early model Net cities and NAOMI Universals.

Some may also have been upgraded to Lindbergh PSUs: 400-5457
The part number is 400-5443-01 on the NNC PSU, I'd have to double check the other one later but I'm pretty sure it's the same.

That is the higher power output version of the SUN JVS PSU I believe power output was increased to support the Chihiro and Hikaru so there should be NO issues fully powering a NAOMI with a NetDIMM.

I'd suggest that if the voltages are set properly and there aren't any issues with the harness; then the PSU simply needs a rebuild.

@fsckewe Really?
I deleted your post. Please consider this as a warning. We don't talk to each other like that here. Make your point in a polite and respectful way and we'll be good. Otherwise we will continue deleting posts and banning accounts. Thanks.

Alas... you digress. Don’t act like you all haven’t treated me like that. Snark is common around here, snark is OK as long as it’s from the good ole boys club.

Let’s all get back to being awesome, instead of waving our peters around. ;)

We all know the pros/cons, the wants/needs, etc..for some netbooting works great, they have no issues, for others its the opposite experience. I have had systems work without issues out of the gate, and some that just would not work at all, and tracking down what the issue is can be a major pain in the ass.

Now, lets get back on topic guys, this is an interest check thread for a multi flash cart of sorts to be made.

We all know the pros/cons, the wants/needs, etc..for some netbooting works great, they have no issues, for others its the opposite experience. I have had systems work without issues out of the gate, and some that just would not work at all, and tracking down what the issue is can be a major pain in the ass.

Now, lets get back on topic guys, this is an interest check thread for a multi flash cart of sorts to be made.
Yup definitely! Not sure I voiced my interest before, but I'd definitely love a multi flash cart to be made that acts like a regular Naomi game cartridge.

Back