What's new
So here's the deal on Magician Lord.

Maglordh is the correct romset.

Using the unibios to swap between modes this is how it behaves:

When booted in AES mode it plays the custscenes as expected (these do NOT play even on AES in the usual Maglord romset).

When booted in MVS mode it gets a little weird with INSERT COIN flashing, but after 4-5 coin insertions and it kinda snaps back to the title screen with the AES press start screen (feels janky, hangs a moment), but once you are allowed to press start it plays the custscenes and acts nice.

Video's uploading to show it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z9fb73iifP4Qd2n8A

It is ABSOLUTELY a little janky. I'll test it on one cart and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Just tested this in FBA alpha like I mentioned in the PM.

Weird thing is - this doesn't have the UniBIOS enabled as far as I can tell. Trying to bring up the UniBIOS menu with ABC+start does nothing. But booting the NGH-005 version of the rom (H for home, duh) it does the exact same thing. Says insert coin but after 1 or 2 coins it changes to Press Start, Memory Card Continue. I recorded a video as well lol. Please ignore my horribly dirty monitor.

View: https://youtu.be/BlPwcGPLiqE?si=0e2Jl6LgMis1rKCj

quality might be shite for a few minutes until it processes it into HD.

I don’t even care about magician lord, because I actually owned the real cart. I was thinking more in the other thread. They were discussing some different versions of fighting games, and to be honest I don’t know anything about the differences, but I know there’s some that were never actually released on the NG hardware, but there are ROMs for. Those are the ones that I think we need to look at at a little more closely.

But yeah, I don’t wanna have feature creep for your work here. I’m just happy that you’re doing it all I’m saying is at the end of the day. If you need some assistance with ROMs as a community, we should help you get the set that makes sense for everyone.

So far it's : official romset, MS2 Turbo, 240p test suite, as long as ML behaves nicely on a real cart the aes version, and XC if desired.

I'll finally get around to seeing what additional space there is tonight for ssv revisions and st etc. I just did the set Vortex posted for my personal cart (aka test subjects). Bummed I didn't know about the NitD fix before doing mine but you live and learn.

Don’t forget KOF2002 Unlimited Magic Hack Speed Turbo Purple 😉

But there is a slick hack of KOF98 that adds in characters from UM 🤷‍♂️

So far it's : official romset, MS2 Turbo, 240p test suite, as long as ML behaves nicely on a real cart the aes version, and XC if desired.

I'll finally get around to seeing what additional space there is tonight for ssv revisions and st etc. I just did the set Vortex posted for my personal cart (aka test subjects). Bummed I didn't know about the NitD fix before doing mine but you live and learn.
I believe the fix for NitD is to the V rom. Assuming you made yours removable it should be just a matter of fixing vrom file, re-run the compiler, and rewrite the chip

@rewrite is doing what no one else is willing to do, and although I'm sure he's clearing some money on this, likely he is working cheaper than ANY other current person would be willing to work on these.

That being said, THANK YOU!

Now, the ML, MS2T, NitD fix, Perfect versions of fighting games etc, they are cherries on the whip cream in my opinion, not to bog the poor man down working. I'm just asking and if he's able to get them on there, we'd all appreciate it (I'm sure!), but if it's the base set plus some of the extras, so be it!

Thanks again and please don't let my nagging bother you!

Thank you for the kind words, gents. I greatly appreciate them, especially today.

Got a bit between carts/pins being here and end of my work cycle, so I'll have time to do the best I can on the game line-up.

@rewrite is doing what no one else is willing to do, and although I'm sure he's clearing some money on this, likely he is working cheaper than ANY other current person would be willing to work on these.

It's decent per cart for sure, but I think the hourly is going to be below my usual monitor/PSU rate by *quite* a bit and it's much more difficult work. It is more interesting/challenging work though, so I'm excited for that (don't ask if I'm still excited 50 carts deep please). Hopefully I can assembly line it to some degree and come up with a process.

Is there a list of the “official romset” games that anyone can point me to? I’m curious if that list would contain games like Crossed Swords II, Bang Bang Busters, or Iron Clad. I’m guessing those aren’t considered official releases, though.

EDIT
I just looked at the list Vortex had posted on Archive.org, and all 3 games were there! Awesome!

Last edited:
Is there a list of the “official romset” games that anyone can point me to? I’m curious if that list would contain games like Crossed Swords II, Bang Bang Busters, or Iron Clad. I’m guessing those aren’t considered official releases, though.

EDIT
I just looked at the list Vortex had posted on Archive.org, and all 3 games were there! Awesome!
I was just going to link you to that post, lol.

Wow, this seems to be an incredibly tight fit.

If anyone more intimate with Neogeo game versions could shed light on differences between:

smsh5spo / smsh5sph / samsho5sp

nitd / nitdbl

I would appreciate it.

I'm definitely down for an MVS cart. I have multiple banana carts but no v3s to sac.

Greatly appreciate your contribution to the community.

Wow, this seems to be an incredibly tight fit.

If anyone more intimate with Neogeo game versions could shed light on differences between:

smsh5spo / smsh5sph / samsho5sp

nitd / nitdbl

I would appreciate it.
googling around I see

smsh5spo = Samurai Shodown V Special (1st release, censored)
smsh5sph = Samurai Shodown V Special (2nd release, less censored)
samsho5sp = Samurai Shodown V Special Perfect (?)

nitd = nitd
nitdbl = nitd bootleg

googling around I see

smsh5spo = Samurai Shodown V Special (1st release, censored)
smsh5sph = Samurai Shodown V Special (2nd release, less censored)
samsho5sp = Samurai Shodown V Special Perfect (?)

nitd = nitd
nitdbl = nitd bootleg
Thank you, Sir. Perfect's the one everyone wants it seems, so we'll use that!

BL = Bootleg. I feel stupid. I was hoping to see if it was perhaps a version with /already/ fixed audio. I will have to just use the darksoft rom conversion tool after fixing the MAME rom in this instance I guess.

Further searching leads me to:

samsh5fe and samsh5fep are the fully patched complete versions of SSVSP? There's also samsh5sp too. Good naming schemes around here.

But I receive this error when using them:
Error: samsh5fe mrom size 0x0000000000080000 bigger than 0x00040000

Hypernoid throws the same error.

On the upside, everything seems to fit.

Full standard library, Rally Chase, "better" Magician's Lord, both revisions of Shock Troopers, Neotris, Xenocrisis, and the 240p test suite.

Last edited:
On the upside, everything seems to fit.

Full standard library, Rally Chase, "better" Magician's Lord, both revisions of Shock Troopers, Neotris, Xenocrisis, and the 240p test suite.
IMG_6258.gif

Back