What's new

GumGum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like in Mame, you can disable bilinear filtering in Atomiswave Bios using dipswitch. I do wonder if this can be done on an actual hardware?

do you happen to know if it is possible to hack the rom to disable billinear filtering?

short answer: there is no such thing as "Atomiswave BIOS", there is just a tiny bootloader
each game have Test mode implemented in it's code. yes, it's possible in theory to modify the code and disable bilinear filtering but you'll have to examine and hack every game.

isable bilinear filtering but you'll have to examine and hack every game.
there are only two games that I really to disable billinear filtering, 1. KOFXI and 2.Metal Slug 6
Those sprites are so blurry that's so distracting to play.

I suppose you'll get these games quite ugly looking without bilinear, especially KOF
because they reuse characters sprites from Neo-Geo games, which had different pixel aspect ratio, so sprites are non-integer scaled in AW/NAOMI games, and use BF to make artifacts less notable.
same thing with Capcom games btw.

PS: if you see some sprites blurry - this means there used some fractional scaling. if sprites will be rendered with integer scaling, 1x 2x 3x etc - there will be no any visual difference with bilinear filtering or without it (point sampling), sprites will look crisp clear in any way.

Last edited:
Back