What's new

Crangoon

Beginner
Reaction score
I have a KI1 jamma that fails to boot. When powered on it does the usual time to signify the sound hardware is OK but nothing further happens (the screen does get power however, same with the cabinet lights).
The first thing I did was replacing the HDD (still had the original) with an SDD And replacing the U98 boot chip with one that contained the L1.5 version.
This achieved nothing, so I replaced the PSU with a newer one, but this still did nothing.

I now suspect the CPU has gone bad, since the legs are not lifted or bent, and am thinking of replacing it. Has anyone done this or can offer advice? (I ordered a spare CPU already)

Attachments

• PXL_20210627_015305605.jpg
    PXL_20210627_015305605.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 107
Sell it on eBay as untested!

What makes you think the cpu is bad? Not booting could be as simple as low power. You swapped the psu but did you measure and set the 5v line? Could be bad work ram, some bad logic somewhere, could be cold joints on the cpu instead of it just being dead, etc. Any chips feel hot?

that cpu is no fun to replace. but if it comes to that I’d recommend chipquik to help get it off cleanly.

Also the last supply of cpus I knew of ran dry, where did you get yours? UTSource says they have them but last I’d heard they didn’t.

Last edited:
Sell it on eBay as untested!

What makes you think the cpu is bad? Not booting could be as simple as low power. You swapped the psu but did you measure and set the 5v line? Could be bad work ram, could be cold joints on the cpu instead of it just being dead.

Also the last supply of cpus I knew of ran dry, where did you get yours? UTSource says they have them but last I’d heard they didn’t.
The thing is: I want the arcade! So selling is out of the question

I checked the 5V line on the PSU outputs, the Jamma connector lines and the boot chip, all seemed to read fine, so I doubt the fault is due to low power (although I could be wrong, I have been told these boards are very picky)

As for the RAM and cold CPU joints, is there any way to check these? All chips apart from the CPU ran cold so I figured since the machine bonged on boot the RAM chips were OK, but again I could be wrong

I got the CPU on UTSource, so maybe they restocked?

Thanks for the quick answer!

the eBay thing was just a joke ;) so many folks selling bunk KI’s for $$$ on there…

you could lightly press on the cpu during boot to see if the extra pressure helps close a cold joint. If you had a logic probe you could get a little more insight about what the board is and isn’t doing. They’re $20 in money but hours in time spent looking up chip pinouts and learning where to poke.

if it were me I have known good ssd’s and bios chips so I’d make doubly sure those were good. You can measure 5v on the bios chip if you’re looking to eliminate that pickiness. 27c4001 is pin 16 and 32. You’re using the AnyIDE rom? https://www.thekillerinstinctproject.com/?p=55

You may hear from UTSource that their supplier is out of stock… but if you do get a chip let us know!

Back