What's new
Hello,

Here's a small update.

I have ordered a first batch of a prototype of the bank switch PCB. Waiting to receive it to make some tests with it.
I already have some idea of improvements to be done to that board but the general idea won't change.

I have also added IDE connection self-test check, the test is not validating any checksums yet but the presence of an IDE drive properly connected.

One last thing, i have improved the bootscreen and game version selection screen.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 20.22.25.png
Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 20.18.33.png
Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 13.10.53.png

The KI1 and KI2 characters displayed on the game version selection screen are random and match their respective game version.
Source of the sprites : https://www.deviantart.com/blzofozz/art/Microsoft-KI-668294406
Would it be possible to add an option where P1 can choose either game? like P1 would press right and Gargos switches to P1 side and then press start? let's say in instances one has a cab with a non-working button or non-wired wouldn't be able to do this unless they service their cab or someone with certain superguns that doesn't have their p2 wired. Would be an easier convenience.

Just make it P1 Button 1 for KI and P1 Button 2 for KI2. No need to complicate things.

It's a good suggestion though.

Yes, i changed based on your suggestion, the selection will be done by "pressing" left or right while on the selection screen.
Left = KI1
Right = KI2
Same order has displayed on screen.
Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 13.26.29.png

Is this fine ?
Yes, that is fine, thank you :) I appreciate your work.

Hello !

It's finally here, the video update, i have added captions this time as i made few mistakes while speaking (64 was really the number that i was not able to say correctly once :D).

View: https://youtu.be/DUH0ATRGXPo

The version of the EPROM demonstrated in the video is not the latest one, in the mean time, i have corrected the reset combination handling code to add some lock mechanism to it because it was a bit too sensitive (all buttons need to be released before reading inputs again).

You heard it right, KI1 and KI2 HDD combined fit in less than 512MB.

I haven't show it in the video but the check disk diagnostic KI1 and KI2 are passing.

I am working on the breadboard prototype of the sound ROMs switcher and should be able to post a video update this week-end.
I have a working Killer Instinct 2 board left if you need any additional testing help done. I forgot about this project, I watched your demo videos, it's positively brilliant what you're doing.

Very nice!

I think it's possible, and probably not too difficult with a bit of reverse engineering. The sound ROMs have SMT jumpers next to them (JP1, JP2, etc), which connect to pin 1 on the EPROM (A19 on a 27C080). The jumpers are currently set to connect pin 1 to VCC, but if they're moved to the other position, it should connect to the output of a D-FF @ U9 (pin 5).

The D input is connected to the ADSP-2105 pin 6 (D15). The FF clock goes to the GAL20V8 @ U1, but this clock is shared with other flip flops which drive other circuity, so should just be a matter of figuring out what code controls that clock, and setting D15 to the appropriate KI/KI2 sound bank when the clock is toggled. And have the R4600 communicate to the sound processor to change banks.

Of course people will need to move the SMT jumpers... they're 0805s, so pretty easy to work with, but some people can't solder DIPs without destroying a board, so I won't say it's trivial. ;) It would have been easier if they simply tied all pin 1s together and just had a single jumper for VCC or A19, but oh well. If you remove all the jumpers, you can add jumper wires between all pin 1s and just install a single SMT jumper.

DogP
I have a Killer Instinct 1 board that plays wrong sounds, had some damage in the audio amplifier section that I recall (jumper wires), you think these jumpers may have something to do with that?

This is coming along incredible, I love the idea of the game selection screen and wondered whether it can be selected traditionally like highlighting either game using left or right and hitting a start button?..
I must admit though, in my personal opinion I'm not a huge fan of using the deviant art sprites for this particular application.. they are cool but they seem somewhat 'kiddy' for this game, or almost give a feel that its running on a Sega master system or a console over it's real arcade hardware! Lol

I don't know if it would even be possible but a horizontal split screen between the marquee art using 'up/down' or vertical split screen with the original logos on either side using left/right would be insane..
https://images.app.goo.gl/pxXYKshwJeTDbjut7
https://images.app.goo.gl/6nCQ1aXAHg9aMWX68

A similar concept to the NFL Blitz/NBA Showtime selection screen on Midway Sportstations....
Just some polishing thoughts that have been coming to mind!..

Keep up the incredible work, and HUUUGE thanks!!

Just want to point out I am both very excited about neku’s achievements and massively applauding him on everything he has done for this project, I do not have anywhere near the skills and knowledge he has so my comments above are simply ideas spoken out loud, and I am in no way trying to 'steer' him to make any changes, but am just making suggestions as others have done here along the way.. I’ve no idea how extra complex certain tasks are but they are just collaborative ideas for discussion and perhaps inspiration if Neku or anyone else decided they like an idea too.

Hello,

I got some time to test the board and everything worked fine on breadboard.
But things don't always go according to plan.
I made i mistake and i am back to square one with the bank switch hardware.

The issue is the KI board is holding CE# (Chip Enable) and OE# (Output Enable) lines low even when the ROM is not read.
I thought i verified this before but looks like i did not ... shame !

I think i will go back to my first idea of using. specific address to trigger the bank switching.
It requires a bit more of logic gates but everything should fit on the PCB.

Before ordering a new design i'll make sure no access to the ROM addresses line is done by the board when the game is running with a stock ROM.
I really hope the address lines are not shared with something else.

Sometimes we succeed,
Sometimes we learn.

Last edited:
Unless the Uzbekistani national anthem plays at boot every time, unskippable, then this project needs to end immediately.

:p

Keep up the good work, impressive stuff.

Hello,

I got some time to test the board and everything worked fine on breadboard.
But things don't always go according to plan.
I made i mistake and i am back to square one with the bank switch hardware.

The issue is the KI board is holding CE# (Chip Enable) and OE# (Output Enable) lines low even when the ROM is not read.
I thought i verified this before but looks like i did not ... shame !

I think i will go back to my first idea of using. specific address to trigger the bank switching.
It requires a bit more of logic gates but everything should fit on the PCB.

Before ordering a new design i'll make sure no access to the ROM addresses line is done by the board when the game is running with a stock ROM.
I really hope the address lines are not shared with something else.

Sometimes we succeed,
Sometimes we learn.
Hi Neku, have you had any further success with the bank switch modifications?
Hope everything is well 🙂👍

Hi Neku, have you had any further success with the bank switch modifications?
Hope everything is well 🙂👍
Hello,

Sorry for the long silence, i have been busy with the renovations in the house.

I am working on multiple ideas regarding the bank switching mod.
However i have hard time sourcing some components so i am trying to work around it.

Right now i have two solutions, one based on a bunch of logic gates stitched together and an other one based on a GAL 16v8 or 22v10 (i have ordered some 22v10 but its delivery date is for April 2024 ... so i fell back to using two 16v8 for now).
I have an idea for a third one that would replace the EPROMs entirely by a Flash memory and a CPLD but it wouldn't be a stealth mod, in the other hand i should be cheaper than sourcing the nine 8Mbits EPROMs + the boards sittings in between the EPROMs and their sockets.
Anyway i will continue with the boards sittings in between the EPROMs and their sockets and later maybe creating a mod based on flash memory.

I have planned to release this week-end a first version of the KI 1 ROMs for KI2 board and a test ROM for both KI1 and KI2 board.

I am also working on two other projects related to KI arcades and Midway cabinets.
1) Trying to create an adapter from PGA to SMD for 79R4600-100MD or 79R4700-100MD (R4700 @ 100Mhz should be compatible as well, wondering what would happen with on clocked @ 133MHz).
This part is already quite advanced but not yet ready for a first production and all of my five KI/KI2 boards are in perfect working condition, so i have to find a non working one with a dead cpu for cheap to test on it.

2) 3D Modeling midway cabinets for CNC machining (Every pieces are done for Fighting cabinet (KI/Mortal Kombat) and sport cabinet (NBA Jam))

Your other 2 projects both sound Incredible!…

Neku my friend, I have a KI1 pcb with a dead CPU, I use it to aid diagnosis on faulty boards and have used some generic parts from it to repair 2 boards in the past...

Will your PGA/SMD project require the desoldering of the CPU chip from the board or will it be somehow external solution?

If you are interested maybe I can provide you with my bad board for the project… Pm me if you like and perhaps we can discuss

Thank you for your awesome work! 😎

Very very nice!

I've a faulty ki1 that looks like bad ram (default boot rom shows a glitches across the blue boot screen). Going to run this later. Dying to see what the new diagnostics say!

Very very nice!

I've a faulty ki1 that looks like bad ram (default boot rom shows a glitches across the blue boot screen). Going to run this later. Dying to see what the new diagnostics say!
That left me thinking i should have removed sprite decompression to RAM, in the test ROM as I have enough room to read the uncompressed image from the EPROM directly.
I will make an update with this change.

Let me know of the result with the current version.

Back