What's new
I really love that acrylic case for Killer Instinct
If anyone in Canada can make one please PM me

I may run a switch to the top of the cabinet to make it easy to switch games without having to open the cab

Heh, I actually started the mod to make KI1 run on a dedicated KI2 PCB (it's booting, but not fully working yet), but I've been sidetracked on a couple other projects lately. So, hopefully I'll get back to it eventually...

DogP

@DogP
I will be watching this very closely
I have a KI2 board and would love to run both KI and KI2 on it

Just to clarify... connecting pin 1 of all the chips to GND is for lower bank (KI) and connecting it to 5v would be higher bank (KI2)?

@luke7110 @mathewbeall
When you created the microsd for KI and KI2, what version of chdman did u use?
I am using 146 and when I try to extract it to the microsd it gives me this:

S:\Arcade\eprom\Killer_Instinct\Multi\CHDs>chdman extracthd -i kinst.chd -o \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE4 -f
chdman - MAME Compressed Hunks of Data (CHD) manager 0.146 (May 21 2012)
Output File: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE4
Input CHD: kinst.chd
Unable to open file (\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE4)

I know the drive is correct
I did a diskpart on it and performed a clean just like I did with my compact flash but it seems to have issues

Can you give any guidance?
Thanks

Last edited:
chdman version doesn't really matter. Older version just uses different syntax. Yours is correct for 1.46.

Did you run command prompt with admin rights?

If that doesn't fix it, you could extract the chd to an image and then just use hddrawcopytool or Etcher to write the image to your card.

chdman extractraw -i kinst.chd -o kinst.img

Yes I used admin on the command prompt
I will try the extractraw way

Ok, has anyone on here actually done some extended testing and played through both games one after the other on here?

The reason I ask is this, I got everything installed to my cabinet using the exact same parts in this guide, and at first I thought it was up and running perfect…
I was running KI from side-A of the 2in1 SD/TF adapter, and KI2 from side-B.
At first I got about 20mins of smooth gameplay and then KI freezes up on me and resets/crashes.
But KI2 ran flawlessly.
I investigate wires, connections, everything and then switch Dual adapter sides (along with 5v and GND lines)
So now KI2 is on side-A, and KI on side-B.
Now KI plays fine, and KI2 begins the crashing.
Therefore I suspect a faulty 2in1 micro SD adapter.
I replace with a new one, and exactly the same problem is happening. After tweaking up 5v and checking all my connections, metering my switch I am out of ideas.
My 5v is at 5.15v, and my GND for the switch lines are both taken straight from my Happ PowerPro supply terminals, not jumpered from anywhere.

I finally decided to remove the 2in1 dual SD adapter completely and run each game from the micro SD cards directly to the board while keeping my switched 5V and GND lines hooked up to the linked ROMS respectively, and sure enough this way both games play flawlessly back to back.

It’d be great having it all at the single switch but at this point I’m tempted to bin off the dual adapters for good, I’ve tried 2 of them and both present the exact same problem, Side-B will run either game fine, but side-A for some reason is not up to the job.
They also seem to act up when switched back and forth a few times, however without it, the actual board will boot and play both KI and KI2 back to back faultlessly.

Can anyone else do some extended testing and confirm they have both sides running flawlessly back to back using one of these 2in1 adapters?
I’d really like to keep it hooked up but at this point I think they are trash!
Very interested to hear from everyone 😎👍

Last edited:
I'd be keen to see a custom IDE switcher to allow the user of 2 DOMs instead of SD cards.

i have twin cf adapters, but they are full size ide pin headers - maybe you can get compact 44pin ones.

Ok, has anyone on here actually done some extended testing and played through both games one after the other on here?

The reason I ask is this, I got everything installed to my cabinet using the exact same parts in this guide, and at first I thought it was up and running perfect…
I was running KI from side-A of the 2in1 SD/TF adapter, and KI2 from side-B.
At first I got about 20mins of smooth gameplay and then KI freezes up on me and resets/crashes.
But KI2 ran flawlessly.
I investigate wires, connections, everything and then switch Dual adapter sides (along with 5v and GND lines)
So now KI2 is on side-A, and KI on side-B.
Now KI plays fine, and KI2 begins the crashing.
Therefore I suspect a faulty 2in1 micro SD adapter.
I replace with a new one, and exactly the same problem is happening. After tweaking up 5v and checking all my connections, metering my switch I am out of ideas.
My 5v is at 5.15v, and my GND for the switch lines are both taken straight from my Happ PowerPro supply terminals, not jumpered from anywhere.

I finally decided to remove the 2in1 dual SD adapter completely and run each game from the micro SD cards directly to the board while keeping my switched 5V and GND lines hooked up to the linked ROMS respectively, and sure enough this way both games play flawlessly back to back.

It’d be great having it all at the single switch but at this point I’m tempted to bin off the dual adapters for good, I’ve tried 2 of them and both present the exact same problem, Side-B will run either game fine, but side-A for some reason is not up to the job.
They also seem to act up when switched back and forth a few times, however without it, the actual board will boot and play both KI and KI2 back to back faultlessly.

Can anyone else do some extended testing and confirm they have both sides running flawlessly back to back using one of these 2in1 adapters?
I’d really like to keep it hooked up but at this point I think they are trash!
Very interested to hear from everyone 😎👍

I have run both KI1 and KI2 on my setup for over 24 hours each with no freezing.

UPDATED
Added an extension for the switch in case you want to run it to the top of the cabinet or coin door
You would need to solder the ribbon cable to the DPDT switch

1645748655350.png

Last edited:
Ordered some boards to try it out
Now I need to find some 32pin sockets that will extend down and plug into the sockets on the KI pcb
Which sockets would be the best to use for this that would be long enough?

This would be very nice to have but I would need to figure out the circuit for separate 44pin connectors
I'm not an expert on PATA/IDE but given that it's is designed to have multiple devices on the same bus I'd suspect all you'd have to do is swap power.

not the power,
you use the master and slave enable pins , select0 &1

Back