What's new
it depends WHY, if he determined the CPU is bad and doesn't have a replacement then someone with a CPU could fix it (or if you sourced one Ken could fix it)
but if it's bad because CPU pin traces got ripped off the board, then it might be really ugly to fix or near impossible to fix.

Part of what makes Ken so well regarded is that he stands behind his work, and his work stands the test of time. So a lot of times when the only fix is an ugly and fragile fix he'll say no. Doesn't mean it can't be done, it just means he's not willing to risk his reputation on the fix holding up.
I still need to make time to send my Virtua Fighter 3 pcb to him but I still don't have the wires to even run a model 3

Hi guys,

Today is a great day, I tested the full setup including the sound roms and guess what ... IT'S FREAKING WORKING !

I will post a demo video after my holidays, I'll be back in two weeks, but I couldn't wait to share the news with you :)

I am still not satisfied with the EPROM adapter, to complex to assemble and to use, so still improving on that part.

For the members living in the USA, do you know a cheap way to ship goods from Europe ?
I have been asking quotes from almost all the carriers available here in belgium and pricing is crazy, like 50€ for a simple enveloppe and starting at 100€ from a small package ...

Oh boy, I am so excited !
Regards

Hi guys,

Today is a great day, I tested the full setup including the sound roms and guess what ... IT'S FREAKING WORKING !

I will post a demo video after my holidays, I'll be back in two weeks, but I couldn't wait to share the news with you :)

I am still not satisfied with the EPROM adapter, to complex to assemble and to use, so still improving on that part.

For the members living in the USA, do you know a cheap way to ship goods from Europe ?
I have been asking quotes from almost all the carriers available here in belgium and pricing is crazy, like 50€ for a simple enveloppe and starting at 100€ from a small package ...

Oh boy, I am so excited !
Regards

maybe ship station or parcelabc.com might work?

Flash memory over Eeprom is a smart move. That multi-menu logic built-in is very sharp. This is going to be a very very proper multi setup.
I look forward to the final product.

This is very cool. I was going to do the original mod at some point but I never got around to it and now I'm very much looking forward to this set up.

this is truly amazing. if you need any hardware testing help let me know. and thank you for what you're doing.

Hello,

I am working on the final PCBs with flash memories, here's a first look into it.
The kit will be made of two PCBs.
- One control board with the IDE adapter with an embedded CompactFlash to ATA adapter and the flash memory (16 Mbits) for the boot rom
- One sound board with the flash memory (64 Mbits) for the sound roms

Each board will sit on top of the motherboard and will be linked together by a small flat cable.

The fixation holes visible in the sound board render are there to fix a plastic cover hiding all the electronics (same will be done for the control board).

This is not the final design but I would like to hear what are your thoughts about this.
control-board-angled.png
sound-board-angled.png

Attachments

• control-board-bottom.png
    control-board-bottom.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 50
  • control-board-top.png
    control-board-top.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 50
  • sound-board-bottom.png
    sound-board-bottom.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 52
  • sound-board-top.png
    sound-board-top.png
    195.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
nice work, some comments and suggestions

1. I love the low profile design, keeps the boardset nice and compact.

2. I would appreciate some through -holes to add support. IF the KI board has holes that we can line up. for proper stand-offs that'd be good, but even not just being able to add a support peg on a empty spot on the main board to help keep the sub boards from flexing that'd be good too.

3. I would appreciate the option to run a DOM instead of a CF card. they're more expensive but they're faster and more reliable and I'm running DOM instead of CF on every HDD game I own when possible.

4. I really appreciate your method of switching games. it's much nicer than most in-game switches I've seen. If possible I'd love to maybe have a 3-way switch on the board that set:
[ KI1 only | KI2 only | In-Game Switch ]

5. I know it's just a render but for PCBs I usually like the multi to match the color of the main board, or be black (since black goes with everything). I tend to find other colored PCBs paired with a green mobo to look tacky.

nice work, some comments and suggestions

1. I love the low profile design, keeps the boardset nice and compact.

2. I would appreciate some through -holes to add support. IF the KI board has holes that we can line up. for proper stand-offs that'd be good, but even not just being able to add a support peg on a empty spot on the main board to help keep the sub boards from flexing that'd be good too.

3. I would appreciate the option to run a DOM instead of a CF card. they're more expensive but they're faster and more reliable and I'm running DOM instead of CF on every HDD game I own when possible.

4. I really appreciate your method of switching games. it's much nicer than most in-game switches I've seen. If possible I'd love to maybe have a 3-way switch on the board that set:
[ KI1 only | KI2 only | In-Game Switch ]

5. I know it's just a render but for PCBs I usually like the multi to match the color of the main board, or be black (since black goes with everything). I tend to find other colored PCBs paired with a green mobo to look tacky.
Broo black and red would be fire

+1 for the through holes. Wouldn't even matter if they lined up with any of the holes on KI -- you can always add a standoff that rests or 3d print something.

More options are of course better, but there's nothing wrong with CF cards. I have a dozen cabs running on CF cards. Mostly Transcend Industrial, but also some cheap generic ones. I have put thousands of hours on every one of them. Never had any issues.

As for speed, does that really matter here, like at all?

But DOMs are indeed more expensive, I'll give you that!

Back