Student
Reaction score
anybody seen this error message before?

any advice would be a great help.

Attachments

• password issue.jpeg
    password issue.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 88
These have a battery powered RTC/NVRAM chip. If that one starts dying, the settings can go all screwy. And by now, the batteries in these chips are now usually either dead or dying.
I'm not sure because I haven't messed much with these, but a combined RTC/NVRAM implies there isn't another (secret) way the board can store settings.

NOTE: Drilling open the RTC chip to get to the battery contacts somehow destroys it. There seems to be additional circuitry in the epoxy on top of the real chip which disconnects if you disconnect the battery. I had three of these, one was already modded and I modded three and they all give HARDWARE ERROR P11 (or something) followed by a reboot.
There seem to be replacements for this chip though. It's a Dallas part and if you open the card cage, it's in the bottom right on the CPU board, so if you have the additional sound board, it's right under there. Unfortunately it's not socketed.
(Note 2, unimportant - of the two RTCs I drilled open, one had a completely dead battery and the other was at around 2V, should be 3V, not enough to run the clock but still enough to retain the settings, so there is a chance that yours literally just started dying now)

so the The RTC chip (timer clock) was replaced and the games was working well, but now just getting "game lock mode".

I'm not getting a ERROR P11, do i need to replace the RTC chip again? or will this passcode work ?

00000000 | 47 4B 39 33 31 00 00 00 20 00 55 41 41 00 98 3F | GK931.....UAA...

Sorry, knowledge is zero here... but if you can dump the chip, maybe try wiping it (since it looks like you have it backed up anyways - is that the first 16 bytes of the Chip's RAM?)
(the ERROR P11 was after breaking the three chips, the one remaining one makes the machine work, but the settings are different almost every time it's turned on, sometimes it boots to Free Play, sometimes it doesn't, stuff like that)

Get a new chip and before do anything check the voltage . Some suppliers have verry old stock .check the region and revisions of your game . Take the rom from mame and copy to the new chip . Rest should should be fine :)

Check all your connectors and make sure none are loose. Check voltages. Then finally check voltages on Dallas chips BEFORE burning and after. Some of these chips are dying so the best thing to do as I did on my Konamk Viper thread is to expose a bit of the epoxy (won't hurt the battery if you do it like me) just expose a tiny square to expose the positive and negative leads and use a battery holder for a 2032 battery or whatver you can find that's at least 3v and you'll he good to go with the RTC nvram code.

It’s part of the RTC process. Check test menu and see if there’s an option for password unlock and lmk. But it’s fixable and I can probably help you get it

Also which silent scope? OG? 2/3/EX?

Because it’ll be diff on Hornet than it will be on Viper

Back