What's new

m-ramone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems the sound board on my Violent Storm died...always worked perfectly but when plugging it in yesterday,no sound at all...
anything to fix here or better replace with a new/repro one?
20230718_110250.jpg

There seems to be a missing component in the midle but I would replace it with a repro. You might have to transplant one of the chips from the underside of the original board to the repro board.

Yes, that is why I pointed out the missing component, unless it worked without it before.

Thanks guys!
Yes it seems like one of the 4 little components is damaged,but it worked fine before.
Guess i will look for a comlete repro.

...or maybe not and try to repair,the parts are only a few cents and i have nothing to lose.
Thanks for the link with the cap kits @Roch

Last edited:
Oh and anyone here knows the value/type of that 1 of 4 small broken chip capacitor or whatever this is?

Thanks guys!
Yes it seems like one of the 4 little components is damaged,but it worked fine before.
Guess i will look for a comlete repro.

...or maybe not and try to repair,the parts are only a few cents and i have nothing to lose.
Thanks for the link with the cap kits @Roch
Those capacitors will be leaking and this is an expensive board. I'd replace the whole unit or get someone else to do it if you don't have the skill set?

Definitely replace the whole module. Acid is no joke. Silent PCB killer! It might look fine, but it's doing irreversible damage.

I recap these if they aren't too far gone, no acid required. It's so much more work to remove the module and solder the two surface mount chips on to the new board. The old caps come off easy with hot air and doesn't damage the pads.

I recap these if they aren't too far gone, no acid required. It's so much more work to remove the module and solder the two surface mount chips on to the new board. The old caps come off easy with hot air and doesn't damage the pads.
You need to remove the module anyway, leakage spreads to the bottom too.

Rarely, I've seen maybe 1 in 10 that's leaked bad enough for it to go under. That one clearly hasn't leaked 'yet'.

Rarely, I've seen maybe 1 in 10 that's leaked bad enough for it to go under. That one clearly hasn't leaked 'yet'.
Typical Shrodinger case, you wouldn't know if you didn't pull the module.
It's not rare at all, even 10 years ago it was common. Visual inspection isn't enough, but if you try to scratch the black paint with your fingernails it will come off in flakes.

These caps leak I'm not arguing that it's very common just like in sega game gears, it also leaves an awful mess that's very obvious. It's not invisable or magic if it makes its way to the bottom of the board and through the paint you're going to know about it. I am going from real world experience though of recapping dozens of these modules not just what I've read online.

Oh and anyone here knows the value/type of that 1 of 4 small broken chip capacitor or whatever this is?
The missing part is a 100nF (or 0.1uF) tantalum capacitor (Case A) as well as the other near three.Anyway, you shoud hear sound also without one of them.

As for the reproductions suggested on the french site, not for bragging myself, but they came out way later than mine.I was the first to reproduce the Konami sound modules (as well as many other custom parts) :)

As for the reproductions suggested on the french site, not for bragging myself, but they came out way later than mine.I was the first to reproduce the Konami sound modules (as well as many other custom parts) :)
What reproductions on a French site? If you think about the link I shared, it's for a capkit, not a reproduction ;).

Mine was done this year and it's a very nice job :
20230712.jpg

20230711.jpg

There is a link at bottom of this page :

https://www.rep-arcade.com/2017/11/soundboard-054544/054986a-konami.html

The link redirects to an online store.

If I remember correctly, at time of the post (2017) there was a link to my reproductions (back in 2017 there were no other Konami sound module reproduction than mine) then afterwards the author replaced it with the link to this store.I know some people do not like my work because they says it's not for preservation but only for profit therefore they try to boycott me.But I don't care of this (I reproduced hundreds of custom parts), many enemies, much honor! :)

There is a link at bottom of this page :

https://www.rep-arcade.com/2017/11/soundboard-054544/054986a-konami.html

The link redirects to an online store.

If I remember correctly, at time of the post (2017) there was a link to my reproductions (back in 2017 there were no other Konami sound module reproduction than mine) then afterwards the author replaced it with the link to this store.I know some people do not like my work because they says it's not for preservation but only for profit therefore they try to boycott me.But I don't care of this (I reproduced hundreds of custom parts), many enemies, much honor! :)
You have every right to make profit on your reproductions. No one else is going to manufacture these parts, so its only fair that you get something for your efforts. No haters here.

I like your work, but I don't like that you print "repro" on everything. It ruins the aesthetic.

I like your work, but I don't like that you print "repro" on everything. It ruins the aesthetic.
Thanks, I'm glad you like my work.I can't name the reproduction like the orignal part (using also the logo of the manufacturer) because of copyrights, I made it at beginning but someone in Japan strongy suggested me to remove the name and logo of the company.Other people who put them on their reproductions may be subject to severe penalties, be careful!

Back