What's new
For Sale
Status
Not open for further replies.
To my eyes, trysync is never worth it if you care for 15khz the most..what I have learned so far.. buy 15khz cab for 15khz games, Naomi trysync, TTX2 H widescreen Vewlix, TTX2 V and a few H 4:3 at 480p trysync cabs. I have not seen a UVC downscale from 480p to 240p with my own eyes but I am looking forward to that and maybe all we need is 15khz cabs, UVC and a Vewlix:)

@SNK-NEO-GEO -- the downscaling on the UVC is definitely amazing, worth the investment, especially if you mount it all inside a cab and make it a standalone machine.

2 on the way download (13).jpeghere early next month

To my eyes, trysync is never worth it if you care for 15khz the most..what I have learned so far.. buy 15khz cab for 15khz games, Naomi trysync, TTX2 H widescreen Vewlix, TTX2 V and a few H 4:3 at 480p trysync cabs. I have not seen a UVC downscale from 480p to 240p with my own eyes but I am looking forward to that and maybe all we need is 15khz cabs, UVC and a Vewlix:)
Somebody should upload some detail comparison screenshots because I've seen both and they all look the same to me.

You would notice the difference if you'd see them side by side.

I have not seen a UVC downscale from 480p to 240p with my own eyes but I am looking forward to that and maybe all we need is 15khz cabs, UVC and a Vewlix:)
@SNK-NEO-GEO -- the downscaling on the UVC is definitely amazing, worth the investment, especially if you mount it all inside a cab and make it a standalone machine.
Why would you not want to play a game in its native resolution?

I have not seen a UVC downscale from 480p to 240p with my own eyes but I am looking forward to that and maybe all we need is 15khz cabs, UVC and a Vewlix:)
Take Naomi for example... If you set the Naomi to 15khz it will display/use some (game dependent) interlaced (480i) screens.
However if you set that same Naomi to 31khz (480p) and use a UVC to downscale that, it will remain 100% progressive (240p).

Naomi actually looks better via UVC on a 15khz CRT than directly connected in 15khz mode itself.
Interlaced video modes are TRASH!

Take Naomi for example... If you set the Naomi to 15khz it will display/use some (game dependent) interlaced (480i) screens.However if you set that same Naomi to 31khz (480p) and use a UVC to downscale that, it will remain 100% progressive (240p).

Naomi actually looks better via UVC on a 15khz CRT than directly connected in 15khz mode itself.
Interlaced video modes are TRASH!
Now I'm wondering if this will remove the pixelation with games like CVS1/2 where the characters sprites are upscaled to 480p instead of display them on native 240p.

Now I'm wondering if this will remove the pixelation with games like CVS1/2 where the characters sprites are upscaled to 480p instead of display them on native 240p.
it doesn't. The problem is that the sprites are low resolution and scaled up, not that the game is low resolution and scaled up. So it actually tends to look worse (IMO) because it's like taking a low res photo, blowing it up and then shrinking it back down again; you lose detail every time it's scaled no matter which way you're going.

Right, it's a problem with the way the source material was treated.

The UVC only allows you to bypass interlaced video modes of the Naomi when in 15khz by allowing you to keep it set to 31khz at all times.

It's a fantastic device, I dare say a must have for low rez CRT owners. But it's also totally worthless for those of us who have 31khz+ screens.

I figured, the best looking CVS game is still on ps1 then with all its loading screens greatness.

Yea man, I mean I've never seen this PS1 port but... A port can never be better than the source material, the game was released on Naomi and so nothing will ever top that release. See the Highlander Theroy thread for more details. :D

the game was released on Naomi and so nothing will ever top that release
Given how arcade perfect the Dreamcast release is, but with the convenience of home console options like training and easy versus modes etc for me that's pretty much the best version.

CvS2 on Dreamcast with 480p out to a 31khz arcade monitor is the best the game looks and plays imo.
Yea man, I mean I've never seen this PS1 port but... A port can never be better than the source material, the game was released on Naomi and so nothing will ever top that release. See the Highlander Theroy thread for more details. :D
There's no CvS2 port for ps1. I'm talking about CVS1 and if you haven't seen it you should because it looks stunning. The Dreamcast and Naomi version doesn't look the same since the sprites are upsacaled to 480p and hence look blocky but the ps1 version is 240p the sprites look like they should but yeah the loading screens and being a port it can't compare to the arcade version.

The PS1 version, even though it's certainly outputting 240p... Was made from the same source materials as the Naomi and Dreamcast versions.

The problem is how Capcom created the assets/sprights. But that "problem" was the source material, used for all versions.

Up scale a 240p spright to 480p without snapping it to an integer, then down scale it back to 240p... Tell me how incorrect it looks, and that's what's wrong.

The PS1 version, even though it's certainly outputting 240p... Was made from the same source materials as the Naomi and Dreamcast versions.

The problem is how Capcom created the assets/sprights. But that "problem" was the source material, used for all versions.

Up scale a 240p spright to 480p without snapping it to an integer, then down scale it back to 240p... Tell me how incorrect it looks, and that's what's wrong.
I know what your saying but the ps1 version it doesn't look to me at least that suffers from this problem. I did these test on 2 Sony pvm and bvm monitors that I own with rgb cables. When I finally got the naomi I was disappointed it didn't look the same(also test on the same monitors) then I found out the naomi doesn't support 240p resolutions. CVS on Naomi pretty much looks the same that CvS2 on any platform. Which is funny to me the ps1 port outputs the best picture out all even better than the original naomi version

I figured, the best looking CVS game is still on ps1 then with all its loading screens greatness.
Watch this video and I'm 100% sure you will take back that statement. PS1 version is nowhere near the Dreamcast or Naomi. It's missing a lot of animations and the loading times make the game worse IMO. The Naomi arcade board is basically a Dreamcast but contains more RAM. That why the Dreamcast versions of CvS1, CvS2, MvC1, MvC2 etc are all arcade perfect ports.

Last edited:
[/quote]Watch this video and I'm 100% sure you will take back that statement. PS1 version is nowhere near the Dreamcast or Naomi. It's missing a lot of animations and the loading times make the game worse IMO. The Naomi arcade board is basically a Dreamcast but contains more RAM. That why the Dreamcast versions of CvS1, CvS2, MvC2 etc are all arcade perfect ports.
[/quote]Totally missed my point I guess you don't get the sarcasm I need improve my writing, my bad. I'm talking about resolution here of course the Dreamcast, Naomi version are more accurate with better animation and everything else except resolution.

Yeah I've seen that video I don't know how he got the scanline look, it almost look like the ps1 version maybe there's a way or I'm missing something. It's been a while since I played it I think I'm going to run more tests soon to prove my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back