What's new

notsonic

Champion
Reaction score
I have a Naomi 1 and a Naomi 2 net booting Virtual On. They seem to go out of sync every few minutes and go back to the network initialization screen.

I haven't really tried anything to troubleshoot this yet, just thought I'd ask if anyone has seen this before.

I'm going to try swapping the Naomi 2 with a Naomi 1, try different optical cables, double check dimm and bios versions to make sure theyre the same, etc.

Edit: The whole thread has the stuff I tried but in the end, reseating the link board and dimm is what fixed it. Naomi 1 with AMD link board, linked to Naomi 2 with Lattice link board, and the cheapest fiber optic cables from Amazon is working just fine.

Last edited:
I switched to two Naomi 1's and still getting the same thing.

I noticed one dimm is 4.01 and one is 4.02. I'm going to update the 4.01 to 4.02 next.

How does the light look at the end of the optical cables? Bright? I would probably change those first.

I updated to 4.02 and no change.

I was testing some cheap optical cables so that was my thought too. I've gone back to my better ones (not originals though) and it's still desyncing. Light seems no dimmer than how it looks with no cable. I swapped the cables between rx and tx to no effect too.

During gameplay before it resets to the syncing screen, the master game seems fine, like it receives updates from the slave.

The slave always seems to be delayed on receiving.

I'm gonna switch which is master and slave and see if that changes anything.

Switching which board is the master didn't change which board was showing a problem.

So I think I can confidently say this one board is not receiving properly. (Or possibly the other board is not sending properly.) I'm going to try swapping the link boards.

So I have 3 link boards, all the same part number 840-0001E. BUT, they have different chips.

Two have lattice brand chips, and one is AMD. Using the Lattice paired with the AMD was not working. I switched to the two Lattice boards and it's working fine.

This doesn't bode well for trying to get four of the same for a 4P Outtrigger set up. :(

Edit: Reseating the link board made the problem go away. I don't think there's a compatibility issue between the revisions.

PXL_20240128_174730823.jpg PXL_20240128_174847667.jpg

Last edited:
I just paired up the AMD board with the other Lattice board, and it seems fine.

Either the AMD board originally wasn't fully seated or it doesn't like the original Lattice board.

Edit: I went back to the original configuration and there's no problems. Only thing that's different is I reseated everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: nem
Back