What's new
Reaction score
A little discussion over on the recent purchases thread made me think about other 4 player games I can play with linked cabinets in the Vs style.

The Obligatory "Post Your Recent Purchases" Thread

So I wanted to start a list for vs style linking. I'll test and update as more info comes in.

4 Player:
Powerstone 2 (verified)
ID5VfFh_d.jpg
WWF Royal Rumble(veried)
ELEFHbV_d.jpg
Virtua Athlete(verified)
O7WO3Ef_d.jpg
Beach Spikers (verified)
lmCSymH_d.jpg
a9ZJ0S9_d.jpg

Ring Out 4×4 (need to test?)
Virtua Tennis 2 (??)
Virtua Tennis (??)

Per @nem
nem said:
Toukon Retsuden has a controller test in the test menu for all four players (all four register), but no way to start a four player game. Maybe left out during development?
2 Player:
Lots of fighters...
Any game you want to go head-to-head with two separate cabs

Notes on making it work bootleg stylee:
1) Unplug power, RCA, and VGA from naomi in cab #2(or whatever is in the cab)
2) Plug in 2xRCA splitter and VGA splitter on naomi in cab #1 and run cables to cab #2
2a) I needed a VGA extension cable and RCA female-to-female adapter
3) Run usb cable to daisy chain cab #1 i/o to cab #2 i/o
4) Start both cabs (or power on both i/os and naomi)

I did NOT use a powered VGA splitter. Regular splitter works fine.
I also netbooted the unlocked powerstone2 recently posted to this forum and works fine.

Or with Sega Part #838-13816-91

Last edited:
I've tested all except Ringout and Virtua Athlete.

Unfortunately, neither Virtua Tennis supports 4P. Disappointing.

Are you sure for Virtua Athlete? I don't remember 4P except on DreamCast.

Like I said, I haven't tried it. It's something that @MetalliC dug up. It's possible it's like Toukon Retsuden, technically there's support for linked IOs but it's not implemented in game.

MetalliC, can you confirm?

I've got the setup rocking right now, I can test when I get home some time today.

Have you tested Toukon Retsuden 4, @MetalliC? There's a working input test for that one too. However, there's no 4P in the game (at least I couldn't find one).
can't remember, will check it later. it is Namco game, so in theory might require some specific Namco's JVS IO(s) for 4P.
does anyone seen service manual / wiring diagrams for Toukon 4 ?

Have you tested Toukon Retsuden 4, @MetalliC? There's a working input test for that one too. However, there's no 4P in the game (at least I couldn't find one).
so far it looks like arcade Toukon 4 is 2 Players max, at least when running with 2x JVS IO this game behave as 2P game - 1P inputs came from 1st JVS IO, 2P inputs came from 2nd IO.
perhaps at some point there was plans to make this game 4P, but it wasn't implemented.

Is there a simple solution available to link two Astro City cabs together? For example if I wanted to play head-to-head with just one CPS-2 or CPS-3 setup for example?

I know PGM 1 and 2 have a simple link system available.

Thanks @nem -- I'm definitely grabbing one down the track!

@tiff_lee — this is what you need ^^

Last edited:
Back