What's new

TheDeath

Professional
Reaction score
This is driving me nuts.
As long as i don't have any programmer that supports this sop44 and i could not find any old Wellon VP that was supporting it (like VP480, wich is impossible to find at least on my end), i would like to try making an adapter for the TOP3000 (complete or bank switched).

Datasheet for MX26L clearly specify the ic is in WORD 16bit mode only (4Mx16) so i was wondering, since the beginning, how the hell did people (mostly Joerg/Arcademodbios, i must say) managed to use it in BYTE mode (8Mx8bit)?

The Highest sop44 that TOP3000 can handle (last version, 8.XX) are: MX29L3211 (4Mx8, 3V) and M27V320 (same). They are basically the same exept they differ on PIN 1 and PIN 33.
This will necessarly involve more file splitting/bank switching as both of these supported sops are only 4Mx8.

Can you guys help me figure out the configuration of these differences in order to have my top3000 able to write and read 26L as 29L or 27V?
I'm super-confused about.
Is it possibile to adapt the 26L, by bank switching, writing it twice (4M x2) by toggling HI/LO on the most upper adress, in this case, A21 @pin1?

Datasheet of the 26L saying that, in order to write on the device, CE and WE must be LOW, and OE must be HI.
WE is on PIN33 of the 26L
and
BYTE is on PIN33 of both supported devices (29L and 27V)

From what i've understand, BYTE is the pin for selecting the BYTE or WORD configuration. To use it as BYTE, the pin must be LOW state.

I was thinking that 29L3211 was the mostly good one to adapt for since this ic got WE on pin 1 (27V does not have it all, no idea why), but unfortunatly that shitty programmer was giving me an incorrect ID check and i'm not sure if you can disable it somehow (or is it because of different pins)

Please someone help me out is this could be a thing, i'm trying to understand if this is possible somehow or not.
Thanks

Attachments

• Senza titolo-1.jpg
    Senza titolo-1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I'm having a sort of similar issue with my GQ-4X. I should have just bought the chips preprogrammed from buyicnow but their website was being crappy :/

After reading some posts between DS and TheDeath in other threads, I modified my ADP-019 adapter to read 64MB chips in two parts. I did this by manually connecting A21 to either VCC or GND (through a resistor) and by using the MX29L3211MC*PSOP44 device profile in the programmer software. I was able to get easy access to A21 through Pin3 on J2 of the adapter.

I have been able to read the chips pulled from Virtua NBA, concatenate the read data, then confirm that it is the same as a Virtua NBA ROM found online. This made me pretty confident that I would be able to write in the same fashion. The ID check also seems to work out just fine. reading an ID of 1614 saying they are manufactured by Synertek. Device ID from my 26L6420MC-90 is 0000, which seems sort of fishy. My programmer reads an ID of FFFF with no chip inserted.

I split my 8MB file and try to write the first 4MB with a21 tied to gnd.
But when attempting to program my 26L6420MC-90 the status bar hangs at 0% forever. I have tried a few chips and get the same result each time.

I have also rewired the write enable pin from the programmer to the appropriate pin on my adapter (I think)

J3 jumper is configured to 5V, but supposedly the GQ-4X takes care of the 3.3V switching internally according to some posts on MCUmall.

J1 jumpers are setup for 29L3211 chips

Any ideas, have others here used this programmer for these 64MB chips? I might buy some 29L32 chips to confirm that my programmer is working right, sincehis is the first time I've attempted to program PSOPs.

Thanks much

Attachments

• IMG_4371.jpg
    IMG_4371.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I'm still waiting for my adapter, regulator and chips, but I pretty much came to the conclusion that the Top 3000 isn't compatible for the Naomi cart conversions and my option was to get an Xeltek Superpro 610p or try and find a compatible cheaper burner.

@GC8TECH pretty much found me a second hand Weller VP490 which is currently in transit to allow me to write that particular flash

Hopefully it all works out when I get it.

Datasheet for MX26L clearly specify the ic is in WORD 16bit mode only (4Mx16) so i was wondering, since the beginning, how the hell did people (mostly Joerg/Arcademodbios, i must say) managed to use it in BYTE mode (8Mx8bit)?
What makes you think AMB is using this chip in Byte mode? I can't say I've ever seen that.

I gave up with a Xeltek Superpro 610, it wasn't worth the hassle.
I use the Superpro 580U (older revision than the 610P) for both 29L3211 and MX26L6420 without issue.
What problems did you have with the 610. I know several people with that specific version who have used these chips without problem.

i keep meaning to build a cut down version of this:
https://github.com/sanni/cartreader
Programs flashrom chips like AM29F016B/D, AM29F032B, MBM29F033C, MX29F1601, MX29F1610, MX29L3211, MX29LV160, MX29LV320, S29GL032M, MX26L6420, MBM29F800BA, AM29F800BB, LH28F016SUT, AM29F400AB, E28FXXXJ3A and AM29LV033C (HW4 needs modified adapters)
Programs M27C322 eproms (HW4 needs modified adapters)

What makes you think AMB is using this chip in Byte mode? I can't say I've ever seen that.

I use the Superpro 580U (older revision than the 610P) for both 29L3211 and MX26L6420 without issue.
What problems did you have with the 610. I know several people with that specific version who have used these chips without problem.
I think he means he gave up and bought one instead of trying to use the top 3000

That makes sense.

I still don't understand the MX26L6420 being used in byte mode statement though.

That makes sense.

I still don't understand the MX26L6420 being used in byte mode statement though.
I think i was mentioning the byte structure (16byte 4MB or 8byte 8MB) because the programmer i used keep selecting 16byte for me, so even i was able to write some, it was still in half (4MB).Also datashets i have found were not mentioning the 8byte mode so i initially thought how the hell they were using them like that (but as you already know, datasheets are confusing sometimes as first users)
But since it's been a while i honestly don't remember and i was probably explaining that wrong. Being a "learning-alone-guy" has many cons and less pros, so thats why i gave up by buying that programmer, that also lets me choose the byte mode in settings! piece of cake.

I made few converts like CVS2 or Death Crimson OX, then my stack of Virtua Tennis carts just sits there, losting interest on doing anything else. I realize how much money i have spend in these years just for doing this kind of stuff and learn probably half on what you really supposed to learn in this hobby, so i just gave up on basically anything because i cannot learn by myself at all.

I realize that if i find the solution from someone else, i'll do it, but i won't try to find it by my own no more, i just don't get it.

Last edited:
8bit or 16bit is the wiring,

you can program it in 8bit mode and use it in 16bit mode,
or the other way around.

you dont have to program it the way it will be used.

So the GQ-4x seems to program MX29L3211 chips in 8bit mode since the Byte pin is typically low.

and according to the datasheet the MX26 seems like it wants to be programmed in a 16-bit configuration.

Soooo seems like that may be my current issue. Maybe I can find something on the GQ-4X supported device list that is programmed in a 16-bit config.

Back