What's new

2006Chaos

Student
Reaction score
Marvel super heroes vs street fighter grey asian board

Been trying to rebuild my game i had 3 missing masked roms and I was missing all the game roms too but i was able to find all the missing mask roms with the full game rom set I needed on ebay, I don't have any rom burning equipment or experience I'm not not interested in buying the equipment stuff to fix 1 game only, it doesn't make sense to me to spend 180 bucks for equipment and whatever the cost is for the correct eprom chips for 1 game to me, I just like to play the games and not do conversions games or rom rewiring stuff X( but the game roms turned out to be the Phoenixed edition roms for the game but unfortunately for me.

The games starts up to the warning part with the copyright stuff. Everything is fine for the 15 seconds Then all of a sudden, the game will not load the next part of the game just a black screen. If I press the Test button during the copyright screen, I can get into the Capcom test menu. Under Memory Check, everything is OK except for ROM 4 and 5 which indicated NG. So i don't have any way to fix that problem and i wouldn't know what to do. I can't rewrite all the roms over on my end and if i did i would like to have them back to original roms without the Phoenixed edition stuff. But also i don't know what rom chips or chip that isn't working correctly. I don't know who still has a shop on here that is still doing repair work for this stuff, Thank you for any helpful advice on this.
20210406_195305.jpg

What is the date code on screen when you first power on the game? How are the program ROM chips labelled?

The program ROMs you have are either corrupt [likely the chips in sockets 07 and 08], or they are a mix of ROMs from different revisions of the game.

It’s also worth checking that all the pins of ROMs 07 and 08 are properly located in the sockets, and that they’re in the correct way around (I’ve seen boards where the labels had been peeled off the chips and reapplied upside down).

Since you describe that they are phoenix ROMs, it’s apparent that the security data on your board is gone. You will not be able to restore it to original ROMs unless you rewrite the security data (e.g. InfiniKey, PIC mod or Arduino).

Last edited:
What is the date code on screen when you first power on the game? How are the program ROM chips labelled?

The program ROMs you have are either corrupt [likely the chips in sockets 07 and 08], or they are a mix of ROMs from different revisions of the game.

It’s also worth checking that all the pins of ROMs 07 and 08 are properly located in the sockets, and that they’re in the correct way around (I’ve seen boards where the labels had been peeled off the chips and reapplied upside down).

Since you describe that they are phoenix ROMs, it’s apparent that the security data on your board is gone. You will not be able to restore it to original ROMs unless you rewrite the security data (e.g. InfiniKey, PIC mod or Arduino).
So it turned out that chips 7 and 8 was swapped and was not correctly labeled so chip 8 was actually chip 7 and 8 was 7. I didn't know what was wrong with it because the seller had tested it before sending it to me and he said it was working but the mailman got the package to me in a state that most of the chips had popped out of the Styrofoam they were loose in the anti-static bag. So we thought that the chips was damaged by the rough time they had in the mail system. But that is what it was. But it is still something that is annoying to me as a buyer im not a fix it up type and have no idea where to look for faulty hardware or software problems on theses chips. It would be great to have a few shops that have the skills that would help people like myself that don't own a PC or laptop or equipment for doing repairs for stuff like this and don't have the skills or knowledge to think about what is wrong with it. Most people my age will just put the thing in the trash if it doesn't work thinking that its so old that it was its time to go instead of going through the trouble of asking about it. Thank you for the response though you were very helpful.

Attachments

• 20210407_081510.jpg
    20210407_081510.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 83
Ha! Swapping the chips over did cross my mind, to be fair... Not sure how the seller managed to mis-label them.

Glad you’re up and running. Enjoy the game, it’s a good one! :)

Back