What's new
Carnage is done, i got the tables 99% worked out.
TEXT.TBL is wierd, they use a proportional font and a lot of cheats (L = 7 upside down O=0 ..saves rom space).

For some reason the proportions are not used correctly, so font spacing is off and text can appear outside boxes.
Other than that, and the continue issue, i think it's good to go. Needs more testing. Sample font issue pic:

1681947804600.png

Also this game sucks with keyboard ;)
Code on github: https://github.com/Asure/total-carnage

Nice one, are the line boxes manually set size wise and not based on the text length? if so we could just expand the values alittle so it all fits in

Nice one, are the line boxes manually set size wise and not based on the text length? if so we could just expand the values alittle so it all fits in
I did not look into that yet, i did with the fonts itself, they cheated a lot there and i have no idea how it would make the right table (address is good, but x/y size..) with load2.
For example, i = j but they have different Y so the bottoms gets cut off. I think with a little manual adjustments the font could be nice. This data is also in the original roms if we wanted to really do this. It took quite some time to get to this point, and i'm sure there are still some errors in the tables that i need to double check or fix.

If i was good enough with coding, i'd go make a solution for our load2 problem. The one they used on Total Carnage is different from Smash TV/Trog at least in a way it does
image de-duplication and image recycle (i = j with bottom pixels cut off..).The WIMP format appears to have this added in the iteration for Carnage.
If we want to manually re-insert or edit images at some point, this load2 version is also useless for Y-Unit, it generates IRW files for DMA2 hardware (Wolf unit).
Also the 'neosis' editor can work with this format, and the plugin is in python, we can borrow from them perhaps.

@mecha The leaked Total Carnage & Smash TV code has some proto build code, this puts the stack at FFC0000 instead of FFE00000 and those roms indeed generate a black screen when you drop them in MAME. We ran into the same issue when building the game at first. It appears Midway has some boards that are set up differently for proto.

That Arcade with the 2.0 Carnage proto now likely has hardware which sorta will become a paperweight when the roms become corrupt. I do not see any mention of it being submitted, they probably sent it to someone outside the "Dumping union", or maybe they forgot. Anyway, it would be nice to see those textless roms, likely they need a different set of gfx roms, as these are paired with the game code. (Dumps for Mame should always be a complete set, to avoid problems like this.)

MK2 / UMK3 Plus has not released any source code on Github that i can see or learn from. All my work is on github for others to inspect & learn.

I did not look into that yet, i did with the fonts itself, they cheated a lot there and i have no idea how it would make the right table (address is good, but x/y size..) with load2.
For example, i = j but they have different Y so the bottoms gets cut off. I think with a little manual adjustments the font could be nice. This data is also in the original roms if we wanted to really do this. It took quite some time to get to this point, and i'm sure there are still some errors in the tables that i need to double check or fix.

If i was good enough with coding, i'd go make a solution for our load2 problem. The one they used on Total Carnage is different from Smash TV/Trog at least in a way it does
image de-duplication and image recycle (i = j with bottom pixels cut off..).The WIMP format appears to have this added in the iteration for Carnage.
If we want to manually re-insert or edit images at some point, this load2 version is also useless for Y-Unit, it generates IRW files for DMA2 hardware (Wolf unit).
Also the 'neosis' editor can work with this format, and the plugin is in python, we can borrow from them perhaps.

@mecha The leaked Total Carnage & Smash TV code has some proto build code, this puts the stack at FFC0000 instead of FFE00000 and those roms indeed generate a black screen when you drop them in MAME. We ran into the same issue when building the game at first. It appears Midway has some boards that are set up differently for proto.

That Arcade with the 2.0 Carnage proto now likely has hardware which sorta will become a paperweight when the roms become corrupt. I do not see any mention of it being submitted, they probably sent it to someone outside the "Dumping union", or maybe they forgot. Anyway, it would be nice to see those textless roms, likely they need a different set of gfx roms, as these are paired with the game code. (Dumps for Mame should always be a complete set, to avoid problems like this.)

MK2 / UMK3 Plus has not released any source code on Github that i can see or learn from. All my work is on github for others to inspect & learn.
I can send you Total Carnage 2.0 roms. ;)

I think they said they updated to LA1 roms. the game was at MGC about 3 weeks ago. so do those have different security chips or something? I had another Total Carnage, when I lost my job cause of the pandemic I had to sell it off. it's infuriating looking back on it but that's what I had to do to survive.

I'd love a copy of them :)
Pandemic got us all. Financially or mentally.

I know there are hacks and plus versions already, but this mostly compiles after fixing a bunch of macros :)

1682120055210.png

I know there are hacks and plus versions already, but this mostly compiles after fixing a bunch of macros :)

1682120055210.png
This is good news. Was it just the std macro stuff we already sorted out? What else is broken? I was looking to look at this along with smash tv. These are the 2 I’d like to mod

This is good news. Was it just the std macro stuff we already sorted out? What else is broken? I was looking to look at this along with smash tv. These are the 2 I’d like to mod
Biggest hurdle is missing linker cmd, tables are included.

Smash TV modders, can you add an option in test mode adjustments for always run? :P

I am looking to add as many improvements as possible so yes. I want to add the proper dip switch settings back in for test mode on etc

Anything that you want please mention it and I will see what I can do. Smash TV is missing a lot of the later boot stuff, like 'press a key to skip rom test to' during boot

I am looking to add as many improvements as possible so yes. I want to add the proper dip switch settings back in for test mode on etc

Anything that you want please mention it and I will see what I can do. Smash TV is missing a lot of the later boot stuff, like 'press a key to skip rom test to' during boot
I think the only working dipswitch option was for using the SNK rotary joysticks, and it was pretty undocumented that I recall. I think you refer to there being no dipswitch test right? I don't remember if it was a board or in MAME, but I had that thing where it would only shoot left and that's what it was lol

well, I got the dip switch added to smash tv, but the 1mb rom is too small so I am looking at 2mb rom size now like with total carnage I think. Need to look into the changes for 2mb roms

on the mk2 front I got passed the link /symbol reference issues and managed to build a mk2.out and mk2.map file, though I can't make roms yet. I created a new lrn and bat file for the rom generation but it doesn't work yet

Something is still broken as it says the .out file is not executable :(

IMG_7063.JPG
IMG_7064 2.JPG

Last edited:
well, I got the dip switch added to smash tv, but the 1mb rom is too small so I am looking at 2mb rom size now like with total carnage I think. Need to look into the changes for 2mb roms
Amazing what you and Asure did so far anyway 🙏🏻

on the mk2 front I got passed the link /symbol reference issues and managed to build a mk2.out and mk2.map file, though I can't make roms yet. I created a new lrn and bat file for the rom generation but it doesn't work yet

Something is still broken as it says the .out file is not executable
:(

Looked at production rom: The original rom is 1024KB when merged, so two 512KB files should be the end result..
I'm looking into the .text alignment, i guess link order is wrong for many of the obj's still. It should be aligned.
Entry point should be at 0xFF810F80 as far as i can tell, with these instructions, as per MAME debugger:

This matches POWERUP section in MKINIT.ASM:
Code:
*check out audit page
POWERUP
    dint
    setf    16,1,0            ;word sign extend
    setf    32,1,1            ;long word
    .if    printer
    move    sp,@laststack,l        ; preserve value of this sucker
    move    a0,@lasta0,l        ; a0 gonna get wasted, too
    .endif
    movi    stckst,sp,l
    movi    syscinit,a0
    move    a0,@sysctrl,w
    move    a0,@syscopy,w        ;keep a copy in ram

1682595328191.png

The link order is just a little puzzle we need to solve, i think i can find the OBJ in the merged 1MB rom and adjust the order in the CMD.
Not sure if we should indeed have MK2SYSTEM and MK2DIAG as relocatable objects, but looking at the Death Race proto it's very likely.

Last edited:
Well, at least some sort of .out helps us compare against production ROM. Or i just gotta convert the OBJ to SREC :)

Turns out I can create mk2 roms..

the lrn file needs to be set as 128 regardless it seems and it creates batches of 1mb (128k) file images. I wonder if there is a way to tell is to make 2mb or 4mb images instead. not found it yet but I do have these now...

IMG_7066.JPG
IMG_7067.JPG

Back