What's new

That's right, it's in my bucket list of futur project.
My goal is to do the same as i am doing for the killer instinct multi meaning in full software and replacing the eeprom with flash memory
But it still an idea no much research spent into it.
First i will have to properly understand the architecture of the board and create a custom bootrom for it.

Last edited:
That's right, it's in my bucket list of futur project.
My goal is to do the same as i am doing for the killer instinct multi meaning in full software and replacing the eeprom with flash memory
But it still an idea no much research spent into it.
First i will have to properly understand the architecture of the board and create a custom bootrom for it.

The custom bootrom already exists - AnyU64 allows you to run any Wolf Unit game

The problem will be some games need a flash memory for high scores, others use an SRAM in one of 2 sizes and some games require an extra crystal in that area

The problem will be some games need a flash memory for high scores, others use an SRAM in one of 2 sizes and some games require an extra crystal in that area
it's true

outside of the ROMs and U64 there are 3 differences
1. the U57 PAL, Most games use "A-20093" but Open Ice and Rampage use "A-20255"
2. the S-RAM size (U62). MK3, UMK3, and WWF use an 8K "LH5268AN-10LL" and the rest of the games use a 32K "LH52B256N-10LL"
3. WWF alone has U55 populated with an "MK41T56N" and a small crystal to support it.
I have this documented in a sheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/187hDbbW7TGaGQd30-FcVxwTrSuexIaEoCB7RrBjhKyA/edit?usp=sharing

These can co-exist though as a while back when I was documenting these differences I did a test and Upgraded a UMK3 to the larger 32K-SRAM and populated the U55 area without issue and was able to run WWF on it.

Yep but for a potential multi it means you will need to modify the host board in some way

@twistedsymphony I did a lot of work in reversing Wolf/T-Unit games and i am not sure that WWF Even uses the real-time clock that the crystal powers. I remember there being some unused date/time related events in the code though. I need to look into that. Currently working on NBA (Max) Hangtime.. ;)

* Edit
There's a routine "_Alarmclock" in MAIN.ASM. However, this is never called. It uses a table "ALARM_TAB" to make event happen at date/time.
(It was supposed to be called by the DIRQ routine every minute when seconds are at 0.)

Last edited:
Aww man, I would love a wolf mult because looking for reliable chips to burn WWF is a pain. Had to scour a bit to convert a UMK3 to an MK3.

@twistedsymphony I did a lot of work in reversing Wolf/T-Unit games and i am not sure that WWF Even uses the real-time clock that the crystal powers. I remember there being some unused date/time related events in the code though. I need to look into that. Currently working on NBA (Max) Hangtime.. ;)

* Edit
There's a routine "_Alarmclock" in MAIN.ASM. However, this is never called. It uses a table "ALARM_TAB" to make event happen at date/time.
(It was supposed to be called by the DIRQ routine every minute when seconds are at 0.)
That's good to know, I was going simply by what I observed being populated on original board sets. Seems it's not needed at all, which is great news.

Yep but for a potential multi it means you will need to modify the host board in some way
Well, according to Azure's research above so long as you have a board with the larger 32K SRAM it should work for any game without modification.

If that’s the case I have a WWF playing blind I would love to convert to a NBA Max HT if I can get a replacement for that CPLD

Back