What's new
I think I will add test points to the MiniGun so you can calibrate the resistance with a DMM. Right now, I haven't cut the axial leads off my freshly assembled units. I can clip DMM leads to them to calibrate the pots. But I am sure there will be some drift over time. Probably put the est points under the voltmeter so there isn't too much work that needs to be done.

With an oscilloscope. There is some sneaky stuff in that post that I had forgotten about.
Post in thread 'In this thread we build the projects that others have shared'
Not everyone has such a thing. Then there is the learning curve required to use a oscilloscope.
I use CPS2/3 and tune till i see every palette.
That is assuming your monitor is already perfectly calibrated though and adjustments to the MiniGun's pots aren't compensating for your monitors shortcomings as well.

I think I'll just add test points to the MiniGun and rebuild a new one.

While I am at it, I am aware that the LPF switch is misrouted. A simple silk screen swap of ON/OFF should fix that. Any other small issues with the MiniGun I should look at? Won't be redesigning it. Just making small improvements. Otherwise, will go through all 88 pages of this thread now.

I adjust the pots until white is white.
I also use another device on the same input, like Neo Geo CD, AES, or Genesis (anything that doesn't have adjustments) for a/b comparison on the strength of the signal.

When white is white and the general strength of the minigun signal matches that of the other device(s), I consider it done.

I'm happy with the results, so far.

I just pulled up color bars on a CPS2 and adjusted till it looked right…
Is there a list of Jamma systems that has the color bar ROMs or which games/service test has that built in? I should probably do that on my miniguns as I only used my eyes as to what "looked" right to me but could be very well off.

Is there a list of Jamma systems that has the color bar ROMs or which games/service test has that built in? I should probably do that on my miniguns as I only used my eyes as to what "looked" right to me but could be very well off.
CPS2 is the gold standard. So good in fact, CPS2's test patterns are replicated into 240p Test Suite. But all boards are different and you do have to eyeball some of them. For instance, my R-Type Leo conversion is very dull. I have to eyeball that board. Hatsune Mike posted a great guide on it.

CPS2 is the gold standard. So good in fact, CPS2's test patterns are replicated into 240p Test Suite. But all boards are different and you do have to eyeball some of them. For instance, my R-Type Leo conversion is very dull. I have to eyeball that board. Hatsune Mike posted a great guide on it.
I do have a CPS2 but it's in the middle of a recap, so I'll have to dig in there later and fine tune my superguns. Appreciate the insight.

Using the CPS2 or MVS monitor test screen. CPS2 shows all 4 colours at the same time which is helpful

MVS Diag Bios has a SMPTE pattern, you can use an oscilloscope and measure the peak to peak voltage.

Last edited:
Ok, next question just for American's using consumer CRT display devices (because were were bee stung when it came to RGB SCART):

How are you connecting the MiniGun to your consumer CRT display device?
  1. You use a mini-din8/9-to-VGA cable to connect to a computer CRT monitor as it can display 240p just fine
  2. You use a mini-din8/9-to-BnC cable to connect to a CRT with BnC connections
  3. You use OSSC because your conusmer CRT display device has HDMI input
  4. You RGB modded your TV set
  5. You use an RGB-to-Component adapter.
    • If so, which one?
      • I bought an inexpensive $20 unit on Ali Express and plan on going this route
      • It also has D-Sub15 input
Or has the whole world, even us Americans, moved on to displaying SuperGun sourced video/audio on digital displays via OSSC (and the like)?

Ok, next question just for American's using consumer CRT display devices (because were were bee stung when it came to RGB SCART):

How are you connecting the MiniGun to your consumer CRT display device?
  1. You use a mini-din8/9-to-VGA cable to connect to a computer CRT monitor as it can display 240p just fine
  2. You use a mini-din8/9-to-BnC cable to connect to a CRT with BnC connections
  3. You use OSSC because your conusmer CRT display device has HDMI input
  4. You RGB modded your TV set
  5. You use an RGB-to-Component adapter.
    • If so, which one?
      • I bought an inexpensive $20 unit on Ali Express and plan on going this route
      • It also has D-Sub15 input
Or has the whole world, even us Americans, moved on to displaying SuperGun sourced video/audio on digital displays via OSSC (and the like)?
I go mini-din to SCART, SCART to BNC.
1675623167025.jpeg

Last edited:
^ This! Also works great with PS1 & PS2 native RGB support. I'm guessing they might be getting slightly harder to find but a Sony Trinitron KV-27S42 looks great & I know someone like yourself could definitely handle the task. =)

My post is at the bottom of the thread here, I've since swapped the RCA plugs to BNC connectors.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56155&start=4290
I am actually terrible at reading electrical diagrams :)

I suppose I could just suck it up and give it a whirl. I think I have this exact TV ready to go.

Back