What's new
God bless Ijor, he's doing so much for this device. Hopefully his efforts will also be used to improve other projects
*cough* mame *cough*

On FGPA being emulation or not - depends on the core. The important difference with FPGA is due to how it works when defining the hardware descriptors you can get to practically replica state if you were to copy every circuit in an actual system. Many of the cores we have are based on software emulators (like the SNES one - the author never owned a SNES) so of course they can only be as accurate they are made to be.
That's exactly the current problem with the MiSTer hype, now it's all about releasing new cores. Accuracy does not seem to be important anymore..

Now we have a bunch of cores that synthesize the functional emulation of a platform. Once these cores are fully implemented, we're going to have a perfect FPGA implementation of an emulator. This can make sense for some people, but it doesn't really make sense to me (at all)

My De10Nano + MiSTer-Small USB-OTG adapter + 4-Port USB 3.0 Ultra Slim Data Hub
IMG_20190120_120310_resized_20190120_121018800.jpg

Good you dont have the AIO board, upcoming Neogeo core might need a different type of RAM.
The LL Cool J one ? We need another xs sdram for that right? Now i'm using XS SDRam v1.1 & IO board v5.5
Not the LLCoolJ, Neogeo core is still in Beta and we dont know if the current spec rams would work yet. IO Board v5.5 means you can change the RAM, hopefully its not needed though.

On FGPA being emulation or not - depends on the core. The important difference with FPGA is due to how it works when defining the hardware descriptors you can get to practically replica state if you were to copy every circuit in an actual system. Many of the cores we have are based on software emulators (like the SNES one - the author never owned a SNES) so of course they can only be as accurate they are made to be.
That's exactly the current problem with the MiSTer hype, now it's all about releasing new cores. Accuracy does not seem to be important anymore..

Now we have a bunch of cores that synthesize the functional emulation of a platform. Once these cores are fully implemented, we're going to have a perfect FPGA implementation of an emulator. This can make sense for some people, but it doesn't really make sense to me (at all)
There are dozens of people working on different FPGA cores, so saying they aren't focused on accuracy is a gross over-generalization. Transcribing PCBs and ICs to Verilog and VHDL isn't "hype". There are fundamental differences between software and hardware FPGA emulation.

MiSTer is an open-source project in its infancy (and every core is its own individual project), and for each new hardware component that gets an FPGA implementation, the cores improve. Right now, you have to work with what out's there, which is actually quite a bit considering the monumental task.

The SNES core is not based on a software emulator. Its original author didn't own a SNES (and wouldn't need to, to recreate such well documented hardware), but now lots of people who do own SNESes are actively working on it because it's open-source, and they'll continue to improve it. And it's really good already--light years better than any software emulator was at such an early stage.

The SNES core is not based on a software emulator.
Technically no, although srg320 did comparisons of his FPGA against BSNES for accuracy. It's thanks to both emulator developers and FPGA developers alike that we have so many excellent recreation options available today focused on high accuracy.

Capture.PNG

Ordered my set-up yesterday! I remember being really interested in the mini-mig boxes when they first appeared and now @SmokeMonsters tweets have pushed me over the edge to commit!! Cannot wait until the weekend!

Just a heads up incase you are having issues with wireless keyboards or anything like that, it's recommended to use a powered usb hub. Mostly because the usb port on the de10 nano is pretty low power. I initially had problems trying to use a keyboard and 2 controllers at the same time (they would randomly stop working) so i got a powered usb2.0 hub (the usb port on the de10 is only 2.0).

Also looks like the neogeo core might end up fitting now so some good news there.

Why's it sneakily called a SHART cable?

A universal standard that adopted all analogue video signals is a bad thing? Only to be superceeded by HDMI, modern day equivalent, some 30 odd years later.

Attachments

• scart.jpg
    scart.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 58
Nah, it's SHART for the first half a second of video then it quickly changes to SCART. The thumbnail just happened to capture the moment before it changes.

Not a big deal, just had a larger than usual dose of misinformed individuals lately.

NeoGeo on the MiSTer this soon is truly amazing.. these people are truly gifted "we are not worthy".....why is no sound normal? What is going on with the sound of the NeoGeo core?

I think it’s “normal” in the sense that the core developer hasn’t started implementing it yet, so the lack of sound in the video isn’t a problem with his equipment setup.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good powered USB hub that fits underneath the de10 board? I'd like to keep it inside the housing. All the non powered ones have good form factor to fit, but powered ones are shaped too oddly.

Back