What's new

Karnov2017

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi everyone, got a Moon Patrol Arcade where the tube keeps dropping out after 20-30 minutes on. If i turn it off and let it rest, will work again on reboot - but it will go out again normally within 20minutes. Sometimes will last longer, but appears to be getting worse. When i say "off" i mean, no glow to the yoke btw.

Guessing its something on the chassis? Is there anything i should try myself to repair first, or just send away to be repaired

Check for cracked solder joints, replace capacitors. Easy enough to do if you can handle a soldering iron.

Check for cracked solder joints, replace capacitors. Easy enough to do if you can handle a soldering iron.

Awesome, yeah can handle myself around a soldering iron so will have a crack. In regards to Caps, is there any specific i should be changing or just a change in general?

Thanks for the reply too!

They're all old, might as well replace all of them. Shotgun approach, but ultimately it saves you time.

Capacitance has to match, voltage can be same or higher on the replacement. Try to match similar characteristics, as not all capacitors are made equal. If you're replacing a physically large electrolytic capacitor with a small one, then something is off. 95% of the time you can use general purpose caps, but there will be a few special ones. Use good quality brands. I buy Nichicon and Rubycon almost exclusively.

Pay attention to polarity. If you put a cap in the wrong way, you can blow components.

Take pictures before hand so you can double check your work if you make a mistake and put a wrong valued cap somewhere. Or you can draw capacitors maps, I do that for all hardware I replace caps on. I have terrible memory. I don't even trust myself to replace two capacitors without drawing a pic that shows which is which.

Last edited:
before you do that, check the voltage going into the chassis is still there when it's blacked out - incase it's a faulty isolation transformer.

Back