What's new

mmmmaerk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I turn on my Versus City the P1 side MS9 looks fine at first but after being powered on for a little bit starts to flicker up and down, like it's alternating lines. Here is a video even though it doesn't really show up on camera. In person the flickering is aggressive.

I was crawing around inside to mess with the P2 side harness so I could've bumped something. I'm praying this is an easy fix lol.

Well I have no idea why but it stopped doing it. The other day it was flickering even after multiple shutdowns so I thought it was a real problem. Anyone know why it happened in the first place?

Well I have no idea why but it stopped doing it. The other day it was flickering even after multiple shutdowns so I thought it was a real problem. Anyone know why it happened in the first place?
Alot of people usually recommend a capkit is a must on this monitors.

But even I myself which have done that, everything would be working for few months and then something else. As of now I'm dealing with no colors at all in my blast.

I also have new astro with that issue you have. And all I did was check all connections, and re- seated the neck board on monitor and has stopped so far.

I'm starting to learn that with these machines it should be one and done.
Everytime I swap a game or install something ne like a mister, or even look inside them something almost always goes wrong. And I'm to the point that everytime I turn on machines I cross my fingers. Lol

I guess I spoke too soon because now it's flickering again. It starts to be noticable after 10 minutes of being powered up. What connections should I look for? I know CRTs can be dangerous so I don't want to poke around the wrong stuff. Also a new problem was discovered. Sometimes the speakers cut out randomly 😢 I can't catch a break.

Last edited:
cold solder joints, components going bad are using tell tales signs of something like this where it needs a "warm up" to happen. you can either shotgun it with new caps, now or start reflowing the chassis. sounds like you need to do both if there has not been recent service. whether we like it or not, all 90's cabs and all games period at this point need a service. a large portion of the caps are out of spec and or leaky no matter how nice they look.

Yes that capkit looks good, Nichicon and 105C. Don't forget to order the filtercap. And MOST importantly, do look into discharging the tube, you don't want to kill yourself in the process!

I'm still not sure what I want to do. I'm very nervous about discharging the tube. I know someone who had a guy recap his monitor but it cost around $400. Is there a video guide out there on how to recap a monitor? Also, I searched for a filter cap on that website but I'm not sure which one I'd need.

I'm still not sure what I want to do. I'm very nervous about discharging the tube. I know someone who had a guy recap his monitor but it cost around $400. Is there a video guide out there on how to recap a monitor? Also, I searched for a filter cap on that website but I'm not sure which one I'd need.

Here is one of @imbord3rlin3 ’s streams where he reccaped one of his chassis (ms8-29 in this case , but process of reccaping is same for any chassis recap)

View: https://youtu.be/78GY62XWQNA

Also ( imbord3rlin3 explain too how to discharge in his video) :

View: https://youtu.be/COUJPMbJ7EY

Last edited:
I guess this means it's getting worse lol. This eventually fixes itself but it seems like a random amount of time before it actually happens.
PXL_20230427_193639597.jpg

Back