What's new

kasaski

Student
Reaction score
Hey all,
After finally repairing my mv1b I'm putting some attention into my other broken board. This one is much worse and has a few issues.
Ive already tried a few things but now im lost, so this is a post last ditch effort to see if I'm missing anything, and hopefully document any repair for others in the future.

Apologies about the camera work, its hard to try and play and film at the same time.
As you can see in the video of metal slug1, the background has some weird glitches going on. I Was unable to capture it, but when the backgroung first starts glitching the game would completely freeze, background would then cycle through random sprites, then unfreeze and let me play again, with the background still glitched. You can also hear that its just playing weird sounds for the sound effects and there's no music.
However in KOF2002, only the stage and character selected music is missing, everything else is fine. no graphic issues here.
In pulstar, some sprites go black or are completely the wrong color (solid bright green, pink or blue usually, sometimes a mix), but this changes each time I boot, somtimes no sprite issues. Music is perfectly fine.

I'm using a 161-in1 and yeah i know these arent the best, but I've tested the cart on my mv1b with no issues, works perfectly so ive ruled out any issues with the cart.

I've reflowed ram, z80 , ym3016, the big yamaha audio chip and pretty much every through-hole chip + Full recap. Reset backup ram and also completely removed the battery. I've also reflowed zmc2 but i doubt thats got anything to do with this.
With unibios i sometimes get an illegal instruction error, but its rare and hard to replicate. Ive thouroughly cleaned all contacts and checked for any cut traces, cant find anything and the board looks pretty good with very minimal scratches, but it doesnt help that im not sure where I should be looking.

Is it time to give up and put it in my junk pile, or am i missing something obvious here?

FME with FZ style boards, it’s usually power related (too low), board interconnects aren’t making good contact due to not seated properly or corrosion in the connectors, dirty cart slot or bad custom chip.

Back