What's new
Reaction score
Here's quick little upgrade you can do to your Namco System 1 board to tap into the awesome stereo capabilities already on the board. This will give you amplified stereo output if you have an older cab without a built in stereo amp. The manuals for this hardware say to use the Jamma edge for audio L and J106 for audio R. The problem with this is you would have to make a funky harness to come off the Jamma edge. Luckily Namco also gave us audio L to an unpopulated part of the board at J105. I couldn't find any good information online or in the manuals about what plugs to use so I did a little research and was able to find everything on DigiKey!! They are part of the AMP Mate-N-Lok series of plugs used in a lot of older Japanese cabs like Canary and Madonna.
What you'll need:
AMP part #350786-1 X1
AMP part #350536-1 X4
AMP part #350777-4 X2
18 AWG wire
Crimpers - I'm using TE crimpers 354940-1 with Die 90684-2. These work fine with old and modern AMP pins

Install The header plug into J105 same orientation as the existing J106 header. I used a hot air gun to heat up both vias and slid the plug in and then touched it up with a soldering iron.
Crip the pins on a 12" length of 18 AWG wire and insert them into the plug end. Speaker + goes to pin 1, Speaker - goes to pin 2.
For the speaker side you need your cab to have separate harness to each 8ohm speaker. You can run them directly off the board or if you have a stereo/mono break out connection you will need to wire to that. I'm using this in my Windy and there's a plug in the bottom you can wire to. I had the amp plug and pins on hand already but I don't have the part numbers for it on hand.
Lastly, you'll need to change jumper 4 from mono to stereo.
If you have a JVS cab or one with a stereo amp you can also just hook up to the existing headphone stereo jack at J108 and use something like this. Just keep in mind that this plug is line level and won't work for a standard Jamma cab https://www.tindie.com/products/everten/system-1-stereo-audio-pcb-namco/
Sys1Stereo1.jpg

Attachments

• Sys1stereo2.jpg
    Sys1stereo2.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 73
Awesome job on this! I'll be converting my Splatterhouse soon!

Back