What's new

Mickysmoke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Namco V257 STR PCB is a PCB that can be connected to the 246(Driving) chassis via its proprietary front cable port to provide normal driving game and force-feedback functionality. Game that supper this PCB may verify that the force feedback motor is powered by performing a power-on test that checks the wheel potentiometer value while turing the wheel via force feedback. If this check fails, the game may not boot ( Ridge Racer V and Wangan Midnight).

Just wondering is there any solutions around this?
Told it cant be done
I beg to differ. with today mods and the absolute genius of the arcade scene, surely in 2022 we can play these badass racing games on a 246.

Namco V257 STR PCB is a PCB that can be connected to the 246(Driving) chassis via its proprietary front cable port to provide normal driving game and force-feedback functionality. Game that supper this PCB may verify that the force feedback motor is powered by performing a power-on test that checks the wheel potentiometer value while turing the wheel via force feedback. If this check fails, the game may not boot ( Ridge Racer V and Wangan Midnight).

Just wondering is there any solutions around this?
Told it cant be done
I beg to differ. with today mods and the absolute genius of the arcade scene, surely in 2022 we can play these badass racing games on a 246.
I have never got Ridge Racer V to boot no matter how many STR pcbs I have got. Wangan Midnight and WMR will work without them connected, however you will need the 64MB RAM expansion or a secondary 32MB RAM card. Did I forget to mention that you will also need the 246 A or Driving variant to make those two specific games to boot? Well, the sad truth is that you need at least one of those systems as those games require 64MB RAM. I have been told that someone has been working on a FFB patch for RRV (to bypass the motor check) but haven’t heard any updates since last year. As for Wangan Midnight, there’s no way to modify the game to run on 32MB. The only way to play those games are either hunting down the 246 systems with expandable RAM slots or the PlayStation 2 port.
F2DCDA00-9301-4A35-BC08-75FC5644C6BD.jpeg
2A785C3B-E7A0-4066-825B-24BBFB3F7BB3.jpeg

Last edited:
Its a shame mate, the 246A is impossible to find today, thats what i was thinking surely theres a way to patch FFB, two massive games, lol im just got some kinda ocd, cant play the console ports

Just keep looking 👀. I got a bit lucky and found both this Ridge Racer 246 and a second 32mb ram card, however I did have to repair them, which was a bit of a pain. I’m still hoping for the FFB RRV patch to release as I do have an original dongle/CD that I would like to patch. As for WM(R), downsizing the game to work on a normal 246 (which all come with 32MB RAM) will be quite a feat!

Ridge Racer V will work on any 246 though, the FFB stuff is the issue though.

I passed on the RRV cab about 6 or 7 years ago, there was something wrong with one side of it, did't even give it a look, big time regret haven't seen once since. Hopefully a patch will turn up mate the last ridge racer deserves to live again :)

Iv reached out to the Mr Guru, and a few other people who really knows their stuff, hopefully someone can help patch this game. Id love have the skill to try it myself but unfortunately im not a coder, but ill will keep trying and looking for solutions :)

Yep! Definitely! This is one game I have been eager to try out, especially since I love the PlayStation 2 version. Like I said, I have the original disc, dongle, and hardware but I can’t do anything with it.:)
884963D1-05E1-4A54-B9FB-604BC699C9FF.jpeg

Back