What's new

doaal

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently purchased a NAOMI 2 with a NetDIMM setup. The seller showed me some pics of the board working but it looks to have had a rough journey to my home, with one of the plastic legs having broken off and rattling around in the box, along with something else rattling inside the unit.

I'm waiting on a power adapter to test the board, so I opened it up to look for the source of the rattle. What I am assuming is one of the GPU fans, has been knocked off the board. I've included some pictures so you can assess the damage. How can this be remedied? Will the board even still work? Help is appreciated.

IMG-4572.JPGIMG-4573.JPG

looks like the fan was glued on that chip so yes, it should still work but you need to put/glue that fan and heatsink back before you try it

looks like the fan was glued on that chip so yes, it should still work but you need to put/glue that fan and heatsink back before you try it
What's a good practice for that? It looks like there was thermal paste on the four corners of the chip so I assume I need to add that back on.

I also see that the loose heatsink has knocked off one of the small capacitors to the right. Hopefully there's no other damage to the board.

Not just the fan, part of the GPU got ripped off rendering the system (nearly) useless. It most likely got damaged during shipping due to the fragile nature of those BGA GPUs (and seems to happen with Naomi 2s more than Naomi 1s).

I ask how the seller shipped the package? Did he not use a WHOLE LOT of bubble wrap as well as take extra measures to secure the pcb?

Not just the fan, part of the GPU got ripped off rendering the system (nearly) useless. It most likely got damaged during shipping due to the fragile nature of those BGA GPUs (and seems to happen with Naomi 2s more than Naomi 1s).

I ask how the seller shipped the package? Did he not use a WHOLE LOT of bubble wrap as well as take extra measures to secure the pcb?
That's awful news. The entire unit was encased in a cardboard box and then covered in two layers of normal (thin) bubble wrap. Not nearly enough especially considering this had to get from Indonesia to Canada. With any luck at least the NetDIMM can be salvaged (it's a 512mb model).

Holy crap I didn't zoom enough to see that! ouch indeed! :(

That s toast. I can repair it doing a new gpu on it . BGA chip set . Problem is the cost of the repair is almost the same a a good working n2

That's awful news. The entire unit was encased in a cardboard box and then covered in two layers of normal (thin) bubble wrap. Not nearly enough especially considering this had to get from Indonesia to Canada. With any luck at least the NetDIMM can be salvaged (it's a 512mb model).
Something tells me the price point got your interest in purchasing this specific Naomi 2. Sending these types of fragiles pcbs isn't easy overseas.

Something tells me the price point got your interest in purchasing this specific Naomi 2. Sending these types of fragiles pcbs isn't easy overseas.
You would be right in that assumption. I haven't seen a NAOMI 2 w NetDIMM setup for sale in NA in a while, that was willing to ship to Canada. I've definitely learned my lesson.
Although, it begs the question of what the seller expected would happen. He's selling several other PCBs and ships worldwide.

Although now I'm wondering: can NAOMI 2s be shipped internationally if the seller packages it well? I'm assuming it isn't as bad as something like the Chihiro where you would want to hotglue the heatsinks down before you send it a long way. I have a contact in Japan who can probably get me a deal.

Just let them put some wrapping in the card slot and then wrap the whole Naomi 2 and make sure the box also have peanut foam. All be good. I never had a n2 go bad in Shipping

that's the exact same thing that happened on my naomi 2. now it can play naomi 1 carts but the netdimm just black screens when loading a game.
How much is the repair cost for the BGA chip set, AMS? just curious as naomi 2 are expensive now. i have even recapped the motherboard thinking the caps are bad.
i cant sell it out as it can't play naomi 2 games.
curiously i was able to boot a game from the netdimm a few times. but that is a very very rare occurence. led me to think the GPU is actually fine but something else is damaged. not the caps i reckon.

Last edited:
I had the exact same thing on a N2 from China, played N1 games but nothing else.

I managed to get a second one but told the seller to glue the heatsinks down and it survived transport, really sad when that happens, but there is hope if you can get it repaired.

@darkgunsou86 BGA repair is not worth the price imo

chip is like 15 euro and labor etc is like 100
Ex ship
And a N2 is worth 200 or so

the problem is it's hard to find a naomi 2 nowadays. after the pandemic is over, i might consider buying a new one or repairing my current one. it's hard to sell off the faulty naomi 2.

The reflow is not the issue . As I don’t think reballing is needed. But to get the large heatsink of to get it ready for reflow can be a pain . As the heatsink can rip the pads.

I can always give it a try . Up to you

Sorry I’m mixing things ...

For your system you need a new GPU chip !

I think I have them in stock

Thanks. I would contact you if i want to send it in for repairs. won't be anytime soon though.
i might buy a new one if i can find one for sale. thanks again.

@AMS I received a Naomi1 and ended up with the same situation. Is replacing the GPU worth trying? Do you have any GPUs in stock?

PXL_20221116_205524968.jpg

Back