What's new

BroadwayJose

Professional
Reaction score
I recently lucked into some cheap Naomi 2 hardware and I'd like to get this fully restored with either a CF or netboot setup. First order of business will be to clean this thing up properly.

Confirmed that the motherboard does fire up and I can load a game but at least one or all of the fans sound terrible. Opened up the case and I can guess as to what might be contributing to this - I'm gonna assume this board has been neglected for a while in a dusty location by its previous owner (got this from a local in Las Vegas, so that's not exactly uncommon).

20210412_090217.jpg

20210412_090228.jpg

20210412_090240.jpg

A couple questions:

• How common is it to replace these fans in a Naomi board and what should I be looking for as a replacement model for each one?
  • What should I use to safely clean this board? I'm very much new to doing stuff like this, so I'm all ears re: process and PCB cleaning solutions

The case fan can be replaced with any 60x60x15mm 12V fan. The stock fan moves 16cfm and is 32db loud, I believe. I would recommend going with a quieter fan if you intend on using this outside of a cabinet as 32db can be surprisingly loud. Sunon and San Ace make very good industrial strength fans and can be found cheaply on places like DigiKey.

I don’t have recommendations on the CPU fans, unfortunately.

The dust on the PCB can be removed using a soft bristle brush, (make sure it’s anti-static) and a blower. You can used compressed air can but that can get expensive if you use them often. I picked up a camera lens cleaner that works really well. For the spots on the PCB with caked on grime I would recommend 99.9% isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs.

Thank you @kikaso ! Much appreciated!

I'll start with the case fan and if I need to replace the CPU fans hopefully someone has done this and can shoot me a replacement recommendation. Otherwise guess I'll just measure the existing ones and look for something similar.

Back