What's new
I did notice there's a Giant Tetris game listed now that I have not seen a conversion for. It should be playable on standard hardware.

@[u]@Dreygor[/u] I see. right, it is in Naomi list in Demul, because I was too lazy to add separate list/category for SystemSP games :saint:
but it will not work on NAOMI, there required porting/patching similar to AW->NAOMI conversions.
Ah OK. Yep I see it's System SP now .. which was a modified Naomi. Maybe someone might patch it :)

@Dreygor I see. right, it is in Naomi list in Demul, because I was too lazy to add separate list/category for SystemSP games :saint:
but it will not work on NAOMI, there required porting/patching similar to AW->NAOMI conversions.
That tetris game looks awesome on a giant screen. Can I convert my Sega Dino King game board to this tetris game??

@Dreygor I see. right, it is in Naomi list in Demul, because I was too lazy to add separate list/category for SystemSP games :saint:
That tetris game looks awesome on a giant screen. Can I convert my Sega Dino King game board to this tetris game??
yes

yes
Sweet, gonna have to chat with about this at some point. :)

@werejag explains the same process for windows here with Virtua On:
neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.…30&viewfull=1#post3795930
ignore that, @werejag talking bullshit, as usual.including statement "we need guiltygear x ic22 dumped properly the one from mame is bad"
So instead of getting all wax poetic on him... why not outline the PROPER steps to create a concatenated file on windows?

So instead of getting all wax poetic on him... why not outline the PROPER steps to create a concatenated file on windows?
No, because there is no simple solution. The concatination is one thing but most games are protected and will not work.
Netboot is special and requires patches that the CF solution does not. All GD-ROM games can be used on CF directly.

Bah, can't we all agree to disagree and get along :(

I like coming here because @Darksoft and @Mitsurugi-w both enforce a non-drama atmosphere. Arguing stifles creatism .. stifling creatism prevents the real work from getting done.

I would rather see you guys work together to create a unified solution that works for everyone.

Alas, this is the exact reason I share things I do so verbosely.
Amen, that's why I tend to share everything I do (stressing what I do. If someone else asks me to play some cards to my chest until they release their info I will respect that request until they feel it's time to share) .. or ask whatever question pops in my head.

So let me get this straight.... there is a solution that works in some cases, but you refuse to share it, and would rather collectively browbeat someone for trying to share what they know?
Since you are curious about the concatenation I will explain it you.

First look at: naomi.cpp in MAME (I did not list all of them)

Code:
ROM_LOAD("epr-23356.ic22", 0x0000000, 0x0400000,
ROM_LOAD("mpr-23342.ic1",  0x0800000, 0x0800000, 
ROM_LOAD("mpr-23343.ic2",  0x1000000, 0x0800000,
As you see there is a gap in memory from 0x400000 up to 0x800000, so it needs to be padded, you can zero pad but I just duplicate the EPROM. Some games have a smaller file so then you need to pad a bit more.

open a cmd window

copy /b epr-23356.ic22+epr-23356.ic22+mpr-23342.ic1 + the rest of the files ggx.bin

then netboot ggx.bin

Now as I said in very many cases this will not work because of protection as well as the artifacts of netboot. in those cases you need to disassemble the code and fix it. There is no simple solution to this and it cannot be automated.

Thank you for that brother. After having taken many hints from others on the forum, I took the initiative to understand the layout by reading the source last month when I attempted to get Ringout working. (some of my asking was to help out a fellow forum member whom obviously was unable to find the correct information on his own)

I appreciate the verbosity in explaining the memory gap. That explains the requirement for the following command if you are a unix user:
$ dd if=/dev/zero bs=1 count=$((0x400000)) >> RingOut.bin

It would seem we should also have a windows equivalent of this command on deck? I noted that an analog was absent in the "copy /b" example that was given for windows. I assume that is an issue that there is no padding example for windows? Whoops I missed you said "you can zero pad but I just duplicate the EPROM" as a fix.

"in very many cases this will not work because of protection as well as the artifacts of netboot", indeed, I suppose this could spawn into a side conversation to re-educate folks on these nuances. Alas this is probably not the best thread for that, and with a bit of RTFM much of this is already documented.

For posterity, is there a list of known protections that have been implemented and subsequently bypassed? I know for example one issue can be caused by region locking. There is a "patchv6.exe" among others that is purported to fix this specific nuance. What are some other known "fixes"? Feel free to just link up some threads if all this has been discussed (probably has).

Does the House of Dead 2 NAOMIHAT IPL region-switch technique differ from what ever patchv6.exe does? I understand this "fixes" a number of games that freeze or black screen post booting.

So let me get this straight.... there is a solution that works in some cases, but you refuse to share it, and would rather collectively browbeat someone for trying to share what they know?

Maybe *I* and other people don't care about the various permutations, what you have described is not a reason to present the elitist attitude many of you do at times.
@Finisterre stop the drama. I'm not sure what seemed wrong to you about @rtw answer.
@Mitsurugi-w

I dont know what just crawled up your ass @Finisterre but you need to chill out. No one has attacked you so I have no idea what your problem is right now.

Darksoft and I have let you do your thing and tried to keep people off your back (including other mods) but if you are going to attack us then the sympathy factor will be zero.

BTW I also dont understand why rtw's answer warranted the response you gave him. And yes we dont allow drama so if I need to lock a thread and clean it up and give warnings or suspensions then I will as that is a mod's job.

Amen, that's why I tend to share everything I do (stressing what I do. If someone else asks me to play some cards to my chest until they release their info I will respect that request until they feel it's time to share) .. or ask whatever question pops in my head.
returning to original "question", which was moderated by now, about sharing NAOMI cartridge protection information - there is nothing hidden or hoarded, it is all available in MAME source code, with some brief comments. \src\mame\machine\naomi*.* and \src\mame\machine\315-5881_crypt.* files.

some people may be interested to know - why where is no long blog posts or cool stories explaining all these things for mass public ?
let's look at the list of people who reverse engineered NAOMI cart protections:
Andreas Naive (Spain)
Elsemi (Spain)
Deunan Knute (Poland)
CaH4e3 (Russia)

as you may see there no single native English person. as you may imagine, it is hard to write long texts using foreign language, it may take few evenings(!) of spare time. so, the best you can get is brief posts in DK's or CaH4e3's blogs, and C++ code in MAME which explains EVERYTHING. but sorry, there no amazing stories for dummies.

some people may be interested to know - why where is no long blog posts or cool stories explaining all these things for mass public ?
let's look at the list of people who reverse engineered NAOMI cart protections:
Andreas Naive (Spain)
Elsemi (Spain)
Deunan Knute (Poland)
CaH4e3 (Russia)
Waddya mean? @Darksoft isn't in the US as with probably half the forums .. but I have seen him make posts and speak more eloquently than half of the actual Americans I know lol. However I get your point.

@Dreygor it was more about time - even writing of not long message, like previous, may take half of hour. for the same time I can do something more useful, like "fixing" some game protection for example ;)

it is even more depressing, taking in account me, @rtw and others did a lot of research and then documented all the NAOMI-related tech information in MAME's code, with the goal so everyone may read and use it, and we will not be wasting our time explaining all that to various people again and again...

Back