What's new
Is this something I could just setup on like an Ubuntu VM and leave running on a server?

Is this something I could just setup on like an Ubuntu VM and leave running on a server?
I kinda did the same, had a Ubuntu box netbooting several cabs. I can't speak for the image here but it is Linux at the end of the day so you can probably make it happen. Also, Ubuntu aside you could probably just VM the raspberry Pi image with little work.

With the current supply/prices on Pi stuff I might just try that myself, I have plenty of spare laptops that are collecting dust that I can use for free.

I know JUST enough about linux to get it installed and follow instructions on how to install stuff via CLI. Beyond that, I can't really do much. didn't know if there were instructions or anything for setting it up via VM. Didn't see anything on the github
I kinda did the same, had a Ubuntu box netbooting several cabs. I can't speak for the image here but it is Linux at the end of the day so you can probably make it happen. Also, Ubuntu aside you could probably just VM the raspberry Pi image with little work.

With the current supply/prices on Pi stuff I might just try that myself, I have plenty of spare laptops that are collecting dust that I can use for free.

No instructions for that, sorry, if you'd like to set it up on a PC running Ubuntu you can grab all the files you need from github, the list of installed packages is attached, another option is to play with qemu and see if you can get it running that way. The web frontend is PHP based running on lighttpd web server with Python 3 running things on the backend. It would be fairly straightforward to set it up to run as a simple web server minus the captive portal networking but to be honest, it's designed and built to be installed and used on a Pi, install the software and use server mode would be my advice.

Attachments

• WiPi Packages.txt
    10 KB · Views: 90
If I grab the version thats in google drive right now, do I need to do anything with the update.zip file?

I've lost track what that was for! just copy the files into the relevant folders using the structure within the zip file and that should be fine. I'll aim to release the new version in a couple of days time so you might want to hang on for that. Just out of interest is the lack of pi supply a big issue in the US? I've had to buy my last few second hand in the UK but prices haven't been crazy.

If you manage to get an image up and running I'd love to hear about it! got me thinking now maybe I should put some work into another image for PC platforms ...

I can hang tight for the new release, no worries there.

I have more heard from others that prices are going up enough to be annoying. One tip I have heard is to find kits that include the Pi, sometimes those are cheaper now.

I've always been a "see if I can make this work with what I have on hand" kinda guy so when (not if) I mess with it I'll update here.

A thought here, bear with me;

A live boot USB image.

My thinking is it would be relatively easy to take a lubuntu live boot, make one with persistence, install the necessary packages and take an image.

It would be really easy if you used the browser to localhost on the laptop. Wireless would be more complicated I think (new menu makes this a non issue or lesser issue perhaps) but nonetheless, this would give anyone the ability to easily netboot without or before buying a Pi.

Just a thought. Totally open to hear any hurdles or input.

A thought here, bear with me;

A live boot USB image.

My thinking is it would be relatively easy to take a lubuntu live boot, make one with persistence, install the necessary packages and take an image.

It would be really easy if you used the browser to localhost on the laptop. Wireless would be more complicated I think (new menu makes this a non issue or lesser issue perhaps) but nonetheless, this would give anyone the ability to easily netboot without or before buying a Pi.

Just a thought. Totally open to hear any hurdles or input.
Never hurts to have another option out there!

That said for my personal use case nothing beats @chunksin 's V5 image. I've got it setup with the touch screen, so if I don't have my phone handy I can just open the front door on the cab and pick a game quickly. Otherwise if I have my phone it's as simple as navigating to the web interface and clicking the game from there.

My personal setup was an apache/php server on a prototype chrome book. You could access the game list from the laptop itself, or over wifi. But this is all much tidier.

I noticed that on the version 6 gundam gives me not enough memory when it has its 512 mb and the house of the dead 3 gives me wrong version . Im using a chihiro type 3

Attachments

• 424A06F8-B0D2-4801-BEE1-E635F195AB43.jpeg
    424A06F8-B0D2-4801-BEE1-E635F195AB43.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 3064EF1C-974E-44A4-AD0A-1FB5D68C0E03.jpeg
    3064EF1C-974E-44A4-AD0A-1FB5D68C0E03.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 44
I will reupload 6.0 and post it here - if people want to grab it, so @chunksin doesn't burn up his gdrive space... :)

Also - it might seem small, but KUDO's to @chunksin for not just working on this, but putting together an excellent document that goes over all the aspects and things like passwords, etc. I can't tell you how many times I have looked stuff up on old projects and there is no documentation - just a .img file - this is HUGE!

Thanks Chunskin!

Matt

Forgive me, but what's the difference between the "old" v6 and the v6.1 from the startpost @mathewbeall? Scrolled through a few posts, but couldn't find the answer..

Good explanation @Murray thanks. Perhaps useful to add to the startpost for people like me who can't seem to search properly :)

Gotcha, going to download both and test. Not using OpenJVS though, but a Sega JVS IO.

Back