What's new

pzlate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning on consolizing a Naomi soon and would like to mount my i/o board inside the Naomi case. I'm going to be using an external psu so I was wondering if there would be any issues pulling 5v and 12v from the back of the filter board from, I suppose CN1, to power the i/o?

Also just a quick video question, does the VGA connector on the filter board output 15Khz RGBS and does it output sync on pin 13 or is it RGBHV? Wondering if I could just get away with using my VGA to BNC cable that I'm already using on my BVM.

I don't see any problem pulling power from the back of CN1, I use the header on CN2 to power the I/O board all the time. and CN2 is just routed straight from CN1.

the VGA connector will output 31K or 15K depending on how your dipswitch is set. it outputs RGBHV reguardless of the resolution so if you want C-Sync you'll have to combine the H V signals yourself. (This is usually handled by the Capcom I/O or the Sega JVS to JAMMA I/O)

Thanks for the reponse. Guess I'll either build a sync combiner or pick up an Extron 580xi or something.

I think that header only supplies 5v though, not 12v. Your IO works fine with just the 5v though, the 12v is only needed as a passthrough for some peripherals I believe.

Another quick problem I have. Looks like my idea of using an Extron 580xi did not pan out, I either get an all black picture with only the white text and the orange O in the NAOMI logo (if I leave in my 75Ohm BNC terminator on sync), or a dark picture that looks like this.

v4d8Zgy.jpg

If I bypass the Naomi the picture is bright and normal but obviously no vertical sync. 31Khz over VGA on an LCD looks fine. The only dip switch I have on on my Extron is the c-sync one. Is there another easy way to turn RGBHV to RGBs? Or am I gonna have to grab RGBs off the jamma connector on my i/o

I've never used an Extron device so I can't help you there. If all you're trying to do is combine sync signals that can be accomplished by simply running the H and V outputs to a logical OR gate.

it might be helpful if you told us what display you're using, what all the components are in your setup and how they're attached and what output mode you have your NAOMI set to.

I'm using a Sony BVM-20F1U which only supports 15Khz Composite, RGBs and RGsB. My Naomi is set to 15Khz (DIP1 On). I'm pulling video directly from the HD15 connector on the Naomi filter board. Right now it's Naomi -> VGA cable -> Extron 580xi input -> 4x BNC to 4x BNC cable into the back of my BVM. I only have the CSync dip on on the Extron 580xi

If I enable the DDSP dip along with csync, I get a picture that rolls upwards vertically.

Last edited:
sounds like everything is connected properly. What I'm seeing in the image doesn't look like a sync issue though.

what did you mean by "If I bypass the Naomi the picture is bright and normal"

What i mean is the colors look correct, but the picture just rapidly scrolls upwards vertically. Which I assume is from the lack of vsync.

Actually test menu works totally fine, no weird color issues, no bleeding, no sync problems. Although Horizontal alignment is still messed up. Super shifted to the left and my BVM can't go far enough to center it.

Maybe the naomi boot screen is at a weird resolution on 15Khz? My capture card can't capture it either. it also had zero problems capturing the test menu. My card was listing the boot screen at 640x266.

I dunno I'll try some other things and if I can't get it working I'm fine with just using an old CRT monitor.

Last edited:
Back