What's new

ZoomBoy

Student
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm interested in exploring a Naomi setup next. I have a 15khz Sony PVM that uses RGB input over SCART and need some guidance on how to hook the Naomi up to my PVM via a HAS.

Can I simply adjust the toggle on the Naomi to output 15khz and convert the VGA to RGB via a cable? Or do I need to get something like an Extron Emotia to handle the VGA input?

Can I simply adjust the toggle on the Naomi to output 15khz and convert the VGA to RGB via a cable?
Yes. But a lot of Naomi games look pretty underwhelming in 15k. You'd be better served using a 31k display if possible.

But if it's not in the realm of possibility, 15k works. Just throw a VGA to BNC or VGA to whatever-your-pvm-takes cable in between the two, flip the dip switch, and turn it on.

Yes. But a lot of Naomi games look pretty underwhelming in 15k. You'd be better served using a 31k display if possible.
+1

@ZoomBoy why to use 15khz PVM ? if you maybe thinking such display is cool/proper for NAOMI - no, it doesn't.
NAOMI games was designed to be used with 31khz VGA CRTs or projection displays.

+1
@ZoomBoy why to use 15khz PVM ? if you maybe thinking such display is cool/proper for NAOMI - no, it doesn't.
NAOMI games was designed to be used with 31khz VGA CRTs or projection displays.
Unfortunately all I have is a PVM for my gaming and no room for a dedicated cab. I guess maybe I should look into 31khz VGA CRTs.

Can I simply adjust the toggle on the Naomi to output 15khz and convert the VGA to RGB via a cable?
But if it's not in the realm of possibility, 15k works. Just throw a VGA to BNC or VGA to whatever-your-pvm-takes cable in between the two, flip the dip switch, and turn it on.
Great, thank you!

Unfortunately all I have is a PVM for my gaming and no room for a dedicated cab. I guess maybe I should look into 31khz VGA CRTs.
ah, ok then.
I was thought it was one of cases when people connecting 15khz display to get "cool progressive image with scanlines". but it won't happen in NAOMI, games will use interlaced modes if DIPSW set to 15khz.

Have you tried 15khz mode on your PVM yet? I've had sync problems with both 15khz and 31khz on my BVM so I'm curious if my 15khz PVM would have the same issues (haven't had time to test)

BVM so I'm curious if my 15khz PVM would have the same issues (haven't had time to test)
Even multi-sync PVM and BVM's require composite sync, Naomi spits out separate H and V syncs in 31khz mode (aka VGA).
If you use a device the like Extron 580xi you can composit the separate syncs and it should work just fine provided its a multi sync (aka can do 31khz) monitor.
1ncwvsD.jpg

I'm selling my 580xi pictured above for 50$ shipped as I no longer roll with CRTs. ;)
Includes this VGA breakout cable (but a BVM user would just connect the BNC's directly to the monitor).
73F5Hk5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my PVM doesn’t handle the Naomi sync very well. Wavy up the top.

Thanks all for the advice and guidance. I think I'm going to avoid Naomi to PVM after the discussion and will more than likely just buy a Blast City and leverage the cabinet for Naomi game play as intended.

You can still find old CRT VGA computer monitors around here, Naomi/Dreamcast looks amazing on one of these.

You can still find old CRT VGA computer monitors around here, Naomi/Dreamcast looks amazing on one of these.
They don't exist out here. Second hand shops don't have them. CL doesn't have them unless you're willing to spend $300+ on a junky no-name brand one someone has marketed for gaming. Letgo, etc don't have them. It's sad :(.

They don't exist out here. Second hand shops don't have them. CL doesn't have them unless you're willing to spend $300+ on a junky no-name brand one someone has marketed for gaming. Letgo, etc don't have them. It's sad :(.
What, you don't want to pay 1k USD for a 10 year old Sony CRT computer monitor that cost $300 new? :P

Question for the group. Can I hook up my Naomi with my OSSC via a HAS/HD-15 adapter?

upload img

Last edited:
You can just hook up the VGA cable from your Naomi directly to the OSSC in hi res mode, no need to go through the I/O board or supergun,etc. I would assume the OSSC could display this.

If you want 15K std res, you can run through I/O then signal goes through JAMMA edge connector into supergun and out wherever the supergun has it go, so you could go from there to OSSC.

So I'm revisiting my thread practically a year later. I've purchased a CBOX Supergun from Axun (which is very nice, by the way) and trying to connect it to my D24 BVM direct from my Naomi.

When plugged in directly from the Naomi via VGA port to RGBS BNC there is a sync issue (regardless of 15khz or 31khz dip being set). I understand to run 31khz I'll need to merge both H/V signals to get Composite signal to my BVM.

A great man, Jassin mentioned an Extron 580xi might be the solution to combine the signals and get composite. His Extron is now sold, but does anyone know of a comparable model to the 580xi that will fix my sync issue on my D24 so I can play Naomi in glorious 480p / 31khz?

regardless of 15khz or 31khz dip being set
The Naomi will work on the BVM in 15khz mode...
Just make sure RGB lines are normal and for sync you are plugging in only the H (pin13 VGA side) leaving the V (pin14) unplugged.

As I said however, for 31khz mode to work you must combine/composite the H and V syncs first (pins13&14) connecting the new output to sync (RGB lines are normal)

It should also go without saying that you need a multi sync BVM, some of the older models only do 15khz.

does anyone know of a comparable model to the 580xi that will fix my sync issue on my D24 so I can play Naomi in glorious 480p / 31khz?
I think anything in the Extron RGB range should work
  • RGB 109xi
  • RGB 120
  • RGB 201rxi
  • RGB 202rxi
  • RGB 203rxi
  • RGB 202plus
  • etc.
I can probably scrounge up one I'm not using if you are buying.

edit: I have a NAOMI and a BVM-D32. I don't have a CBOX Supergun. So I'm not sure if I can test it for you or not. Is there a way to hook it up with out the CBOX?

Back