What's new
The Battle Gear 3 drive cannot be read on Windows. What do you mean with a lot of small files ?

What software is that ?

Anyway to get it mirrored connect it using a USB adapter and use HDD Raw Copy to kmage it or dd on Linux.

we used EaseUS Disk Copy. But that didn't work then i tried to dd it and my ssd wouldn't boot it up. So plugged the old ide into it and it would boot doing it's thing then once to boot tatio it would just freeze up on me.

Are you sure it’s not a voltage issue? Problems with the power supply like low +5v or +12v? I know that if I don’t have enough +5v on my Time Crisis 4 pcb (which uses a hard drive) it will crash. Don’t forget that the Namco System 246 is a very power hungry system, under +5 volts can cause some issues.
The hard disk and optical drive must use 12v and 5v. This kind of power supply can be connected by the big 4 on the computer. The yellow line represents the positive pole of 12V, the black line represents the negative pole or ground wire, the negative pole is connected to the power supply shell, and the red line is the positive pole of 5V.

If you want to clone a hard drive smoothly and easily, you must buy a Namco 2x6 hard drive, which can be easily copied and pasted.

If you want to clone a hard drive smoothly and easily, you must buy a Namco 2x6 hard drive, which can be easily copied and pasted.
Any IDE HDD should work to clone the original HDD. You can also make a HDD .IMG dump and then write that IMG file to your new IDE HDD. You don’t necessarily need to get another 246 HDD but you can find a similar model.

Reactions: nem
I have tried and tried to write battlle gear 3 to a 40gig and 80gig IDE HDD Quantum and WD, and I can't get it to read the data, it boots the dongle, and then hangs and never comes back from the black screen. I don't know if it's looking for a specific driving JVS Setup, or hardware revision, maybe I'm not burning the image properly, but I have 2 setups one is an old time crisis and another is a Moto GP 246+ Neither boots that game, so I just keep the dongle as a potential conversion candidate. It's not really a huge loss, as I don't have the room for sit down drivers, but I'll keep it for now.

I have tried and tried to write battlle gear 3 to a 40gig and 80gig IDE HDD Quantum and WD, and I can't get it to read the data, it boots the dongle, and then hangs and never comes back from the black screen. I don't know if it's looking for a specific driving JVS Setup, or hardware revision, maybe I'm not burning the image properly, but I have 2 setups one is an old time crisis and another is a Moto GP 246+ Neither boots that game, so I just keep the dongle as a potential conversion candidate. It's not really a huge loss, as I don't have the room for sit down drivers, but I'll keep it for now.
I believe BG3 needs a specific Taito driving I/O to boot but I’m uncertain. That’s what I was told a couple of years back, not sure if anything has changed or what. I believe BG3 is also a 266 specific game, meaning that you need an actual 246 and 246+ mode on the 256 won’t work for that game. Time Crisis 3 is also a 246 specific game as well. MotoGP should work as a normal 256 game tho.

Any IDE HDD should work to clone the original HDD. You can also make a HDD .IMG dump and then write that IMG file to your new IDE HDD. You don’t necessarily need to get another 246 HDD but you can find a similar model.
I have tested it and it cannot be read directly by Windows. If you must read it, you need to right-click this computer in the Windows system and select Manage - Disk Management. In the last unstarted drive letter, if you want to load it, you need to The disk operates in the Windows environment, but once you perform this step, the core data of the disk will be damaged. If you start 2x6 again, it will stop at the infinite reading interface. If you change to a new 80G disk (the actual capacity is 74.5G) and you copy it directly, it will show that the disk space is insufficient and you need another 143MB or 148MB. The partition that comes with Windows cannot copy the data of the partition table, which means you will lose this part of the data.

Last edited:
BATTLE GEAR 3 and BATTLE GEAR 3Tuned cannot be started on a clone drive (confirmed on actual machine).
There may be protection that checks the serial number of the HDD used in BATTLE GEAR2 (TAITO Type-Zero).

be interested if I could convert the HDD to SSD.

I have a genuine BG3Tuned dongle + HDD + I/O & handle unit.
don't have a rewritable dongle.
(waiting for the redistribution of the USB dongle.)

BG3Tuned's & BG3 HDD shuts off immediately when connected to Windows via USB.
It is necessary to image quickly after connecting the USB.

Do you have a Linux machine @mokona ?

Also which version of BG3 and BG3 Tuned do you have ?

I have both BG3 and BG3Tuned.
(BG3Tuned is 30G (Maxtor) and 40G (WD))

Win10(OS) and WinHex(TOOL) are used for HDD backup.
Connection is standard USB to IDE device.
(Jumper is changed CS to MASTER)
Backup must be initiated before the HDD loses power over time.
Once the work is started, the power will not be turned off until it is finished.

The format of HDD is similar to TAITO Type-Zero,
I hope a file manager for BG3HDD.

Back