What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few threads ago the cost of the device came up, and I believe $400USD was mentioned.

I know that there are other FPGA / FLASH based devices that are very popular for other consoles (Everdrives, SD2SNES, etc) but none of them are close to this price range. Most are 1/2 price or less (and yes, they too are designed by a single developer who spend hundreds if not thousands of R&D time making them)

I think as the time gets closer, it would be nice to go into detail on what makes this thing tick (in terms of hardware, etc) because $400USD is a lot of $$$.
Back in the day a Sega Genesis or an SNES were $100, but the Neo Geo was like $600. It's the same with its carts, they are way more complex than the Sega Genesis or SNES ones, which usually have a single data chip inside. The Neo Geo has 5 different buses, all working in parallel to bring the nice graphics and sounds we are used to. So the neo's multicart has to be way more complex, therefore way more expensive than the ones for smaller, less complex consoles.
Here's a fairly simple way to think about it, though it's far from the full reality of differences: the Everdrives are a single PCB. The Neo uses a dual PCB cart so that right there about justifies twice the price. Krikzz himself has said he likely would not make a Neo Everdrive in part because of the end pricepoint. IN FACT...check out Krikzz's own estimate if he were to have sold a Neo Everdrive: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=90.msg15443#msg15443 If he had been right, then Darksoft's device comes in lower than what Krikzz's might have been.

^THAT^

Not to mention that we are talking of 2 PCBs double the size of a SNES Cartridge each of them, so like 4 cartridges in total.

luckily enough, I have managed to fit everything in 6 layers PCBs. Initially was 8...

I think Krikzz Everdrives have 2 or 4 layers tops.

We are talking about this:
pcb_layers-520x611.jpg

It's 2 more layers than this:

I'll post some pictures of the current design soon.

It's the constrast pot for the LCD (see connector besides). It will work with LCD and I want to do a menu as well, but for now for my prototype it will work with LCD.

So cart will come with an LCD on board for a menu I presume. Can it be navigated using the Neo Geo stick? Thanks =)

OK Guys. Here is the final design (for now).
Like I said D, if you need me to beta test or you know do some quality assurance testing. I am here for you guys. I can send you payment now for the carts. ;)

Last edited:
OK Guys. Here is the final design (for now).
Like I said D, if you need me to beta test or you know do some quality assurance testing. I am here for you guys. I can send you payment now for the carts. ;)
We know :) As soon as there is something tangible, stable to test, you'll be the first to know :thumbsup:

Can it be navigated using the Neo Geo stick? Thanks =)
This sounds like a great idea if possible.
No no, the LCD is there to be used as in CPS2, to choose the game to load in each slot. That's intended first, for me to do the testing while there is no menu and for those who don't want to see a menu at all and want to have a neutral cartridge.

I would prefer to have a menu on screen, like the Everdrive, so I guess it would be awesome if that is an option (and perhaps a cheaper one).

There will be one version for sale after these protos are tested. One price.

3ft minimum LCD ribbon cable please. Ideal is 6ft. To satisfy desire for discrete external mounting. Thanks!

3ft minimum LCD ribbon cable please. Ideal is 6ft. To satisfy desire for discrete external mounting. Thanks!
Maybe it is designed to be mounted in the cart's shell?
Possibly. There are those that have full size cabinets that would like to facilitate easier game selection. Most arcade users are in their mid-30's-to-40's with kids and would like to keep those cabinets secure at all times. Short cable would require nesting the LCD selector in the coin mech, under the CP, or inside the back panel. Making the selection process cumbersome. A longer cable allows for flexible mounting options. Simple user experience tweak/suggestion is all.

Excited to play these in my cab finally, and not deal with ebay prices. Thanks DS and Mitsu!

Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad
Sengoku 3
Samurai Shodown V Special
Robo Army
NAM-1975
Last Resort
Viewpoint
:D

looks awesome, and the ram will be low spec enough to not require spreaders yea? If there'[s any SMD hot-spots you'll find them through the prototyping process also :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back