What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the NG:DEV team maybe be contacted about this ?
I can imagine they could come up with a way to keep protecting their games but still allow it to be legally added to the multicart.

They could then release games like they used to but also provide a cheaper software only version for use with the multicart.
Maybe adding something like a security chip for those games if having an unchangeable serialnumber for the multicart can't be an option ?!?
It might even boost their sales ?
Or they could create some kind of a subscription service that they could also use to make owners of a multicart potential software testers for upcoming titles.

This might up the cost of the card somewhat but if that would mean you could add NG:DEV titles to the cart in a legal manner I think this would be acceptable.

I talked to them some time ago. This is an excerpt from what they answered:

"Our newer games are heavily protected with ARM, MCU,FPGA and CPLDs. I would prefer if your multi can't play it, even last hope because it's from a todays perspective a rather bad game ;) And of course it could lead to people not buying our MVS games anymore and wait for a ROM release. Most people lack the knowledge to understand that our new games can't be played anyways. So this could do some damage."

I hope it's clear to everybody why they won't be supported.

I read that like this:

"We run our newer games in a cartridge containing our own ARM CPU/MCU/FPGA and CPLD combo while the NEO-GEO is just being used for it's inputs and video/sound hardware". ;)

If nothing else it made me chuckle to hear them call Last Hope a rather bad game.

I talked to them some time ago. This is an excerpt from what they answered:

"Our newer games are heavily protected with ARM, MCU,FPGA and CPLDs. I would prefer if your multi can't play it, even last hope because it's from a todays perspective a rather bad game ;) And of course it could lead to people not buying our MVS games anymore and wait for a ROM release. Most people lack the knowledge to understand that our new games can't be played anyways. So this could do some damage."

I hope it's clear to everybody why they won't be supported.
Fully agree, as long as a company is still making money (in a legal/valid way) from the system, the games should not be supported by such multi-cartridges.

The feature set sounds great, 4 slot stylee rotation and an on screen menu right?
I personally have no interest in the ngdev releases and the inability to play them on this device is great, the less drama the better for this ;)
Looking forward to the MVS version =]

I like the 4 game idea, how would it work with a 6 slot mobo? Would it raise the total potential game count to 9 then? What if some crazy soul were to put six DS multi carts into a single six slot system?

Also, with ddr2 memory wouldn't that mean you'd have to reflash the games each time you boot up the MVS/AES? I do like the idea of using standard off the shelf memory though.

You may want to check the new work that has been done bringing Crossed Swords 2 to MVS/AES format
Booooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!
LOL, I'm sorry man, for a minute I forgot it. My apologies.
LOL No worries. I won't change a single bit of code or design for those two games. Don't care if they work or not. People won't stop buying because of those two games.

I like the 4 game idea, how would it work with a 6 slot mobo? Would it raise the total potential game count to 9 then? What if some crazy soul were to put six DS multi carts into a single six slot system?

Also, with ddr2 memory wouldn't that mean you'd have to reflash the games each time you boot up the MVS/AES? I do like the idea of using standard off the shelf memory though.
Mmmm interesting question...It depends on the combination used to change game.

I'm afraid that I decide to use your normal NEOGEO change game button to change the game and the cartridge is in a 4 slot mobo when you press it, it will change the game both in my kit and in the mobo, so it will go to slot 2 and when I press it again so it goes back to slot 1, the game would now be the following one in the kit. Either I choose a different combination like i.e. pressing LEFT+1P to change game or run it alone.

6 slot mobo with 6 multis? jeez you want me to have a heart attack :)

About memory, yes it will erase, but I plan to include a battery like mobile phones so it will hold the content hopefully for a week or so. I still need to check.

Mmmm interesting question...It depends on the combination used to change game.
I'm afraid that I decide to use your normal NEOGEO change game button to change the game and the cartridge is in a 4 slot mobo when you press it, it will change the game both in my kit and in the mobo, so it will go to slot 2 and when I press it again so it goes back to slot 1, the game would now be the following one in the kit. Either I choose a different combination like i.e. pressing LEFT+1P to change game or run it alone.

6 slot mobo with 6 multis? jeez you want me to have a heart attack :)

About memory, yes it will erase, but I plan to include a battery like mobile phones so it will hold the content hopefully for a week or so. I still need to check.
I also own a 6 slot. Ideally, the cart would always begin in it's "virtual" slot 1, and every press of the Change Game button would iterate through virtual slots 2-4 and only then go to the next real physical slot. That way you'd have a smooth transition in a fixed order for every slot. And for the user the change game experience is the same.

I'm not sure that's possible given that it's just a cart you plug into the system, as changing games is a MB function.

If this is going to be designed for both 1 slot (which has not change game button) and 2-6 slot (which has a change game button), it might just be better to have a non-standard button combination to change games on the multi-NG cart. Something like "HOLD 1st player button A + 1P start button" or something. It would be ideal if the button combination wouldn't interfere with those of use that run non-stock bios with our cabinets on free play.

Maybe a couple different button combos could be programmed and we could select either via jumper or OSD. I dunno.

I've had issues with software button combos on my 161... I understand this is different, but what I would like is a button on the cart its self.

I'm sure this idea is less popular then fully software controlled, but I believe it will be easier to support on different hardware configs.

Like pointed out above 6-slots vs 1-slots... If the VR change button was on the cart, the real change button (if you have one) functions like normal. No crazy 6-slotx6-multis tests needed. ;)

I would figure issues with the button combos not working well are due to poor programming on the 161. Personally I'm far more content to use those than have a button on the cartridge itself, since its much more of a pain to have to open up the control panel on my cabinet whenever I want to interact with it.

Maybe an onscreen in game menu selection much like UniBios to select between the 4 games stored on the multi, then the physical button works like usual on the multi slot boards? Perhaps a dip setting or option someplace could change this for single slot boards so that a physical button could also work.

How about hold P1 start for 5 seconds? Thats what the multis do to reset to pick another game and it doesn't interfere with games. Simple solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back