What's new

erzane

Professional
Reaction score
Good evening,
I applied an electrolytic treatment to this part but I had to dismount it first (since the moving plate is inox and not allowed for the electrolytic treatment ). For this, I had to cut the holding rod/stem .
Pls check the following pictures. Sega crushed the tip of the stem to make the hold possible. But logicaly they used a plier. I'm looking for a tool (a plier) capable to crush the stem like this in a very short distance. The short distance is an issue and because of that issue, I cannot use any hammer.
Thank you!

Attachments

• DSCN0028.JPG
    DSCN0028.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN0029.JPG
    DSCN0029.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 60
Looks like it's a pretty soft steel. You could using something like locking / vice grip pliers to generate enough force to cause the deformity. The distal tip of the jaws ear usually machined flat with 5mm+ surface to grip the pin.

1666210391724.png

Yeah, they got several of them at the workshop.
Should I turn the back screw to put pressure?
p.s. my stem is about 2mm thick.

Bench vice isn't able to do it unfortunately.
Btw, locking / vice grip pliers do not work also.

Tap the end and add a nut?
This would have been done with a hydraulic press - a hammer is your best bet for applying that sort of force, but there isn't much material to work with of course...
Another option would be to cut a notch in a piece of wood and place that over the stem (on the inside) for protection and work it carefully with the hammer.
Use a longer stem and work inwards...

I had a try with the pliers but maybe the steel isn't workable with the vice grips.

Demonstrated with an M3 screw. Don't use full rotations on the turning screw.

1666298199156.png

1666298227357.png

1666298240234.png

nam9 : fortunately, I found a bigger bench vice and it did the job well. The only matter is that the bench vice mouth has teeth, so I have to operate with a ''plate'' mouth.

mdk : great! I'll test tomorrow with some bigger pliers I can access in another place.

You was both right. Thank you!

Back