What's new
I know your troubleshooting is always on point @mR_CaESaR but the last two things I can think of is that there’s different versions of the software that might be worth a try.

Also have you tried another machine (if you have access).

Also cleaning the pins on the adapter, programmer and also checking the pins on the adapter where the SIMM is seated?

I'm not sure of any other version of the software, I've just used the one in the documentation. I'm more than happy to try it, the logical part of my brain is saying it doesn't make sense as I've been successful in writing 7 simms (when you count the U9 and U10 simms). However, I'm more than happy to try it out to rule out it.

I've also just tried a windows 7 box - same issue (although it did come up with a no driver found for a lunuxg_printer, have nfi it was trying to find a printer, it first showed up as proman hi-speed something)

1667785244929.png

I've also just tried a laptop with win10 - no go. Also used changed around 4 or 5 different cables all still displaying the same error.

Pins/sockets and pads have all been given a good clean with IPA

If all the other SIMM chips programmed fine, but 5 isn't working - I would guess that particular ULTRASMIMM is faulty.

Matt

That's the only thing I can think of, but I just wanted to completely rule everything out just incase it's user error :)

If all the other SIMM chips programmed fine, but 5 isn't working - I would guess that particular ULTRASMIMM is faulty.

Matt

I agree with Matt. The other SIMMs programmed fine with the same hardware and software so it would seem to be an issue with that particular SIMM. If it doesn’t void the warranty and you’re comfortable with SMD soldering, I recommend reflowing the solder joints on the flash chip.

Nah I'm not comfortable with mucking around with it at smd level as it is not mine. I'll send it to @djsheep on behalf of @DRAGONKZ so he can "test" and confirm and then the discussions can be had with how to move forward - I'm just the dude trying to help a mate out by writing the data on the simms :D

Thanks for the comments and work guys, the best course of action seems to be as already mentioned, we'll get it sent to djsheep and see where to from there!

No problems, get it over to me. Also, by “testing” I simply meant trying to write it here with my programmer and adapter. I don’t have any elaborate test equipment or skills to work with fine components unfortunately.

If it’s borked then I will send it to @Darksoft to hopefully fix as I believe the UltraSIMMs are well and truly sold out at all vendors for who knows how long.

Failing a repair we will sort out something @DRAGONKZ - sincerest of apologies to you and @mR_CaESaR for this.

It’s fine mate, out of your control! Well send it up and see what needs to be done.

Stuff like this does show that I should pull my finger out and get my other multis going which are still sitting in boxes 😂

All good on my part.. CPS3's just haven't been really nice to me recently haha i'm cursed.

Stuff like this does show that I should pull my finger out and get my other multis going which are still sitting in boxes 😂

Well at least we know CPS2 multi is done and dusted.. now I just need to read the doco for CPS1 install and next visit I can get to that one haha

I am going to ask some very noob questions.

I have a CPS-III MB that I got for free. It has all the 3rd Strike SIMMs on it. I have a New Generation CD/cart, but no CD-ROM. I have never been able to test the MB to see if it works.

It gives a scrambled picture with the New Generation cart installed (I think, it's been a while and as I currently have no house, everything is in storage), which I assumed was long dead anyway.

So my noob questions; how does one go from an original cart to the Ultra BIOS? Is there any way to test the board to see if it is working before buying the Ultra SIMMs? I would love to have the CPS-III working, but paying $649 to find out the motherboard is dead, would not be fun!

EDIT: Okay, after doing some reading here, I think I know how the Ultra BIOS works. The 29F400 chip needs to be de-soldered from the cart and erased/re-programned with the Ultra BIOS using a TSOP-48 adaptor. Hmmmm, should be fun.... I guess getting the chip off with a hot air gun should not be TOO hard, but could be delicate programming and re-soldering to the cart.

I guess I also have to hope that there is another run 😩 They are no longer in stock in @djsheep's shop.

Last edited:
Contact some australian users, maybe they can do the job for you for a small fee.

Also notice that you can test the MB just with the MB and the UltraBios cart. You can go to the BIOS MEnu and test some things from there.

Good idea! Would be great if I could get the cart done by an expert :D I bought the NG CD/Cart/full art years ago and it was about ¥9000. Would be looking at much, much more these days so I do not want that cart being damaged.

Back