What's new

archimage

Happy
Grand Master
Reaction score
Hello,

I was thinking about JVS and it's possibility to link to multiple IO boards through USB.

Would it be possible if someone has skills to create a software that emulates JVS IO and connect users through internet ?

The idea everyone has his client and can start a master session, then hosts a session while playing a game by connecting it's IO board to the PC or even a RPI with the software, then would be visible by other persons who connect to this software ?

I don't personally have the skills, but I think the idea would be great for arcade community.

First, JVS is not USB. It use a USB cable but that's where the similarities end.

Also I think the timing requirements on JVS would prevent you from streaming JVS data over a network connection; it's just too laggy.

you could potentially have a remote player that gets audio and video output streamed to them and then they stream back their input data, but that wouldn't use JVS at all, it'd be no different than allowing network control over a JAMMA edge... and it would likely be too laggy to be worth playing.

you'd have lag from the video being streamed to the remote player, then lag on the return trip for their controls. Normal network games don't have this because they're able to render the video and audio locally for the remote player and just send markers to ensure the both ends are in sync. A lot of the games with really good network play also use predictive measures which don't exist in the arcade versions of the game.

Last edited:
yes basically jvs is made of usb is for inputs, analog vga for video and and analog rca for audio it needed to be clarified, so it's no different from jamma except the hardware for inputs is easier to handle, but an usb encoder with jamma would be the same after all.

with emulation we can achieve a correct level of net playing, how does it work in comparison ?

is the master game delayed to be synced to the slave game ? two instances running at the same time to reduce data streaming to inputs ? or is video streamed too ?

Last edited:
To my knowledge video is not streamed when using the emulators that allow for net play. You'd have to ask someone who is more familiar with the code on those. I do know that I've done generic (non-gaming) network streaming of audio, video and button inputs and it's simply way too laggy to be useful for gaming, you'd need to do some optimization and I'm skeptical that it could be done simply attached externally to the game hardware.

Back