What's new

s8n

Student
Reaction score
hi members , i am looking to make my own Pochi and Nyaa MVS cart for personal use. I was wondering if i could use the Pochi and Nyaa in the Darksoft Neo Geo Roll-Up Pack. I believe it is already decrypted and ready to be burned on to EPROMs.

chat soon

The files for the Neo multi aren't 1:1 with what you want to put on a cart.

If you need decrypted C roms they can easily be found with Google. Just search for pnyaad.zip. Then the rest of the files can be taken from the pnyaa.zip.

Reactions: s8n
You also need a suitable donor cart with correct prog + char boards.
If you use decrypted roms, you can probably use a PROGBK1 as prog board, the real carts use PROGBK2.
Char board should be a CHAFIO

Reactions: s8n
I've made this conversion... EVERY ROM is encrypted
you need Decrypted P-ROMs, V-ROMs, C-ROMs, M-ROM and the extracted S-ROM (derived from the encrypted C-ROMs)

None of those will come from the Darksoft roll up packs

The game is small so you can use just about any donor cart but PROG-BK1 is the most versatile donor PROG board (will work for any conversion that's possible) and CHA256, CHA256B, or CHA512Y are the CHA boards that will support any possible conversions.

(impossible conversions are one that use C-ROMs and V-ROMs larger than what can be burned to 27c322 and 27c160 EPROMs).

Since this is such a small game you could also Use PROG-TOP, PROG-GSC, PROG-GSC3, or PROG 4096 as well as CHA 42G-3, or CHA 42G-3B

I don't recommend any other donor boards though as all o the other PCBs used plated through-holes which makes de-soldering a real bitch.

I can help with jumper config and ROM mapping but you're on your own for sourcing ROMs.

wow i wasn't having a great day and then when i woke up the next day i got the messages from you guys , thank you. Roger that on all points you all made , i have found on ebay a World Heoroes 2 Cart , the boards are CHA 42G-3 and PROG 4096 B. Let me know if i should go ahead and purchase

I've not personally used those PCBs for a conversion but they should work for this one.

For the PROG Board:
looking at the ROM configuration you'll want to set your jumpers on the PROG 4096B similar to how they are on Super Side Kicks 2:
https://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/File:Super_sidekicks_2_set4_b1_front.jpg
it appears that despite the slightly different ROM config from WH2 it uses the same Jumper settings... so nothing to do there.
The Program ROM will be a 27c800

You will also need to split the decrypted V1 ROM into two files and burn that to 2x 27c160 for V1 (lower half) and V2 (upper half) (you'll need to do this no matter which donor PCB you're using)

For the CHA Board:
There shouldn't be any jumpers changes needed here.

The S-ROM is always burned to a 27c301 (aka a 27c1000 "non JEDEC", by any brand other than Marconix)

The M-ROM is oversized, you'll need to burn to a 27c040 (aka 27c4001) but you'll also need to do a wire mod to support that sized chip basically running a wire from A18 on the EPROM (Pin 31) to A18 on the NEO-ZMC chip (Pin 9). There isn't a single non-encrypted ROM board that has this trace run AFAIK so you'd need to do this on any donor PCB. I've not done this on a CHA 42G-3 but you'll want to check that Pin 31 isn't tied to 5V or ground, on other PCBs where I've done this mod it wasn't which should make it easy. Looking at pictures of this https://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/World_Heroes_2 it appears that pin 31 of the M-ROM is indeed tied to +5V, so you'll want to lift that pin up before soldering it to the PCB so that it doesn't make contact with the 5V connection. this should make soldering a wire to it pretty easy though.

Finally the C-ROMs, this CHA board only supports up to 27c160 sized C-ROMs (16Mbit), and the size of the Pnyaa C-ROMs are very large (64Mbit) this means that they need to be split twice so you'll need 8x 27c160s
C1 will be split into 4ths and become C1 C3 C5 and C7
C2 will be split into 4ths and become C2 C4 C6 and C8

On a whole this should be a pretty straight forward conversion on these PCBs.

Last edited:
massive effort twisted , i have gone ahead and purchased the Cart. I have assembled a parts list from buyicnow..........is this correct ?

P-ROM x1 ST M27C800-100F1
V-ROM x2 ST M27C160-100F1
C-ROM x8 ST M27C160-100F1
S-ROM x1 ST M27C1000-15F1
M-ROM x1 ST M27C4001-12F6

that should work, though if you can try to go with faster S and M-ROMs that's a 150ns S-ROM and a 120ns M-ROM you have specced out... they'll probably be fine but a 100ns or faster ROM is ideal.

roger that ts

........update

best i can find on buyicnow is........proceed and order ?

ST M27C1000-12F1
ST M27C4001-10F1

Last edited:
I was trying to do the conversion...any idea about decrypted rom?is there a program or something similar?

i forgot to say, i have a CHAFIO and a PROGBK2 donor

Last edited:
so the encrypted pcbs read only encrypted prom? if i burn encrypted codes on eproms...dose it work?

if i use the other donor i need S1 rom, is there a waiy to extract to C rom?

so the encrypted pcbs read only encrypted prom?
Yes, As far as I know.

if i burn encrypted codes on eproms...dose it work?
Only if it matches the encryption of the donor game.

So you would need to decrypt pnyaa then re-encrypt in the format of the donor game.

There are other problems too, in that these boards require 64Mbit C-ROMs which do not exist in EPROM format, so you would need to make wire hacks to run 32Mbit ROMs.
the same problems exist for the PROG board and V-ROMs

These boards also have plated through-holes which makes desoldering a lot more difficult.

If you don't know how to solve these problems then you should not be attempting to use these boards as donors

Reactions: nem
So you would need to decrypt pnyaa then re-encrypt in the format of the donor game
so every progbk2 or chafio board read a specific games title?

yes and no, it depends on the Neo-CMC chip.

even if it's the same chip, how will you create 64Mbit ROMs?
uhmm interesting....
for the eprom i was hoping in a correct jumper configuration at last for the progbk2

I haven't researched jumpers on BK2 but every game on that board used the large sized V-ROMs for which there is is no EPROM equivalent so it may not be possible to configure jumpers for smaller ROMs

pochy nyaa v1 si a 4MB prom so it support 27c332 eprom, bu there is a 3rd jumper so maybe con support 27c160 eprom, I have to check the tracks
but CHAFIO only support 8MB prom i think

Back