What's new

Coyo5050

Professional
Reaction score
Do we have a thread anywhere of just recommended maintenance on boards, systems, etc? Seems like it would be useful so that lets say we pick up a board to know to remove this cap or reflow this connection etc etc.

Good idea, we can share how long last batteries (e.g. for CPS2), too.

I don't know if there is an official maintenance of arcade boards write up somewhere but this is what I generally do;

1) Take out the socketed chips, clean them and brush the legs with a metal brush (a dremel brush tip is excellent tool for this)
2) Use contact cleaner on IC socket pins. Leave it for a while (couple of hours). Examine the IC sockets. If they are too rusted or old style single-swipe ones, replace them.
3) Remove the battery (if exists) from the PCB (Ofcourse if the battery is a suicide one - keeping encription keys - replace it with a new one by following the correct procedure for that specific type of PCB)
4) Wash the PCB under water with dish washing detergent with brush. They are generally filthy.
5) Wash the PCB with baking soda to neutralize the copper oxidation. If oxidation is too much, keep the PCB in baking soda water for a while...
6) Dry the PCB in owen 70 degrees celcius or leave it self-dry.
7) Clean the edge connector with first rubbing alcohol and then metal polish.

Ofcourse the above procedures have their own risk. You know what they say; If something is working, don't touch it! :) But again, if you want to make an omelette, you have to break a few eggs ;)

Please don't take the above items as "expert advice". These are just my routine when I acquire a filthy arcade PCB. Most of the time, if the PCB is clean, I only clean the edge connector, thats all...

Back