What's new

doccaz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, if you've followed my repair log, you know that it worked for a while, then stopped for good when one of the BGAs crapped out.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought another one from a questionable source, "guaranteed tested", for a fair price.

It arrived yesterday and indeed, after setting it up, it worked fine with my Netdimm. Ran all diagnostics, all good.

Ran it for a few hours while I wrestled with the MP07-IONA JVS board (that firmware upgrade process + setup button sequences are crazy, I tell you). Finally got it recognized, got my WiPi netbooter from the previous setup attached, speaker connected games loaded.... all was great for most of the day.

I decided to open it up to change the main fan (which was noisy as hell). It was also a bit warm. When I opened it, I found this hot-glued to one of the heatsinks UPSIDE-DOWN:

IMG_20220917_170712809_HDR.jpg

It seems the person lost the proper screws, spread the fins, shoved this fan in there, hot-glued it and called a day. Took a while to clean the messy goo, as it was soft due to the heat. Replaced this and the main fan with the ones from my (now deceased) first Naomi 2. Took a good look around, everything else looks okay. No bulged caps, nothing resoldered, no flux residues.

Reassembled it, ran for a couple of hours, all fine, quieter (and cooler). Then my Netdimm started acting up. Got timeout errors on the network setup screen. Took it apart, cleaned all connectors, reseated the RAM stick. It's working again. It gets detected by the Naomi, I can set the network address. DIMM Test runs perfect. Ethernet port on the Pi shows activity and a valid link. But now the Pi cannot find it.

Checked the address, set it to 10.0.0.2/255.255.255.0 as it was before, same problem.
Tried changing the network cable, the Pi itself (I had another one lying around anyway). Same problem.

So everything appears to be working and testing fine, except that the Netdimm cannot communicate at all. Anyone seen this before?

Decided to hook it up to the PC and fire up Wireshark. No traffic at all. Tried changing my address to 10.0.0.1/24 (the netdimm is set up for 10.0.0.2/24) and ping it. Nothing.

Then, out of nowhere, I see a single ARP packet from the Netdimm coming from... 10.109.30.1
Configured my PC to 10.109.30.2 and tried pinging it... nothing.

Connected it back to the Pi and tried adding a new Dimm setup for 10.109.30.1... and suddenly the other entry for 10.0.0.2 shows up as online.

It's working now, I can load games. But the IONA JVS seems to have got messed up again...

... and it appears that the JVS connector is a bit loose. Finnicky.

Played Border Down for a couple of minutes, turned around and it rebooted with an error 33: Gateway not found.
It never ends!

... and it appears that the JVS connector is a bit loose. Finnicky.

Played Border Down for a couple of minutes, turned around and it rebooted with an error 33: Gateway not found.
It never ends!
Ok, found out the cause for the error 33: wrong PIC image was burned to my zero-key. Got the correct one (checksum: 0x0006 F8F4), and programmed it with my TL866II with the following settings:

tl866ii-zerokey.jpg

My XGECU program is much newer than this -- screenshot is not mine. Pay attention to the config word: 0x3F82.

It's been running Beach Spikers for half an hour now without dropping.

Also upgraded my Net-Dimm to 1GB of RAM with two PC-133 512MB sticks. I can load Melty Blood successfully now!

Now does someone have a proper way to configure the MP07-IONA-US board with a XBox 360 controller? I've been wrestling with this thing for hours. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I have another JVS board from Tucson Logic that works flawlessly every time, but I'd like to have the option to use my wireless controller (actually it's a GameSir T1S that fully emulates an XBox 360 controller).

Ok, I gave up on the MP07-IONA for good. I wired up the Tucson Logic board and it's working great.
I noticed that its USB port can be used to send commands via serial (!) and that they included a Linux daemon just for that in the source code(!!!)

I compiled it on my WiPi Netbooter image, created a systemd service for it, customized the map for my home-made USB arcade joystick.... and now it's perfect! :thumbsup:
I can just plug this and other USB controllers anytime.

I also made a case for the board: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5526720

Next step will be to add an analog wheel to it.

Okay, after everything working fine for a few days, I started to get an error 22 on the boot. The Net-Dimm is not recognized. And just as I was trying to help someone else with this exact problem.
I guess I'll have to look into recapping this Naomi. Does anyone have a parts list? What's the best way to do this?

So, using the information from the wiki, it totals up to 81 capacitors! 8|

Looking at Mouser right now, I shared a project with the BOM with all Nichicon-branded capacitors:

Quantity
Value
Voltage
Manufacturer​
Part #​
3​
100uF​
6.3v​
Nichicon​
UUQ0J101MCL1GB​
13​
100uF​
10v​
Nichicon​
UCD1A101MCL1GS​
18​
10uF​
16v​
Nichicon​
UWG1C100MCL1GB​
1​
220uF​
16v​
Nichicon​
UUX1C221MNL1GS​
7​
220uF​
10v​
Nichicon​
UCD1A221MCL6GS​
11​
22uF​
16v​
Nichicon​
UZG1C220MCL1GB​
2​
330uF​
10v​
Nichicon​
UCL1A331MCL6GS​
4​
330uF​
16v​
Nichicon​
UUL1C331MNL1GS​
1​
4.7uF​
25v​
Nichicon​
UCQ1E4R7MCL1GB​
4​
4.7uF​
35v​
Nichicon​
UCD1V4R7MCL1GS​
6​
470uF​
10v​
Nichicon​
UUQ1A471MCL1GS​
8​
470uF​
6.3v​
Nichicon​
UWT0J471MNL1GS​
1​
47uF​
16v​
Nichicon​
UCB1C470MCL1GS​
2​
47uF​
6.3v​
Nichicon​
UCB0J470MCL1GS​
Total:
Link​

Still deciding if I really want to inflict all that work upon myself. I also still need to verify if I got the BOM right.

I had flaky behavior with my Naomi 2 (still do sometimes). Some of it was coming from the ram in my net dimm. The test mode ram test never showed errors but I was able to diagnose my ram problem using these tools which have a checksum step. That might be worth checking out. I'm not familiar with the pi stuff though, maybe it already does a checksum. I only really used TransferGame.exe before using netboot tools.

Sometimes I wonder if the net dimm needs a good battery to not risk corruption during reboot.

Here's my similar descent into madness: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/different-behavior-with-4-01-and-4-02-dimm-firmware.20337/

Ok, I gave up on the MP07-IONA for good. I wired up the Tucson Logic board and it's working great.
I noticed that its USB port can be used to send commands via serial (!) and that they included a Linux daemon just for that in the source code(!!!)

I compiled it on my WiPi Netbooter image, created a systemd service for it, customized the map for my home-made USB arcade joystick.... and now it's perfect! :thumbsup:
I can just plug this and other USB controllers anytime.

I also made a case for the board: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5526720

Next step will be to add an analog wheel to it.
Nice! Would you mind sharing how you wired up the USB? My goal is to just use my tournament edition PS4 stick, because it's the nicest one I have.

Nice! Would you mind sharing how you wired up the USB? My goal is to just use my tournament edition PS4 stick, because it's the nicest one I have.

Basically it's like this:
Joystick -> USB port on the raspberry Pi
and
Tucson logic board -> JVS on the Naomi
Tucson logic board -> USB port on the raspberry Pi

On the Raspberry Pi, I created a systemd service and a map file for my USB arcade joystick, see the files here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...oter-compatible-with-pi-3-4.14019/post-351274

The daemon comes from Tucson Logic themselves: https://tucsonlogic.com/jvsbridge/jvsbridge-gpl-20220226.tar.gz
Had to compile the daemon first. Fortunately, the WiPi Netbootar image already has everything in place for that.

Basically, what this daemon does is take ANY joystick that's normally recognized by Linux as /dev/input/js0 or js1, bind to them and redirect the requests to the JVS port using the mapfile provided.

About the error 22: I noticed that the 5V line was WAY down under load, at 4.95V. The 3.3v line reads 3.24V, and the 12V line reads 12.00V. This is a brand-new Corsair 500W ATX power supply. I guess it took a hit and dropped the output just enough to not being able to power everything up.

I tried a few other ATX power supplies over the weeks:
* Corsair TX750W: under load it read 3.28V and 4.98V. Same error.
* picoPSU 300W: under load it read 3.34v and 4.95V. Same error.
* HP rack-server 850W power supply (modded with an ATX connector): it kept SHUTTING DOWN every couple of seconds(!!!)
* random Chinese SFX (?) 350w power supply: 3.32V and 4.84V. Same error.

All these power supplies were tested with a plug-in ATX power-supply tester and read nominal voltages as expected.

So I guess I need a power supply that is able to be manually regulated for the 5V line? The problem is, which one should I use? Can't find one that does that besides some very old Sun PSU recommendations.

The Naomi itself without the NetDimm appears to boot perfectly, run all diagnostic tests without issues. I don't have a game cartridge to test though. Also tried changing the memory modules on it, same problem. If I boot with it without its case, I can see that it simply *shuts down* while initializing (the leds on the Netdimm go off).

Any ideas?

I had flaky behavior with my Naomi 2 (still do sometimes). Some of it was coming from the ram in my net dimm. The test mode ram test never showed errors but I was able to diagnose my ram problem using these tools which have a checksum step. That might be worth checking out. I'm not familiar with the pi stuff though, maybe it already does a checksum. I only really used TransferGame.exe before using netboot tools.
Interesting you mention that. I have 3 memory modules: a 256MB the NetDimm came with, and two 512MB modules I got from an old motherboard.
It was running fine with the original 256MB and also with either one or two of the other modules. It started acting up after running solid for 2 weeks. I suspected it was the low voltage under load (it was reading 4.84V at the JVS connector), so I waited to get a proper MeanWell adjustable power supply (see above).

I'm starting to wonder if something is damaged on the NetDimm itself (it shuts itself off).

Sometimes I wonder if the net dimm needs a good battery to not risk corruption during reboot.
When it was working, I tested with and without the battery. Both times it worked fine. My battery has is good, BTW (7.2V)

Wasn't there a way to enable the onboard serial port for debugging?

Back