What's new
Took my board to Ken today and he fixed it! That dude is a legend.

Okay seem to hit a new issue. I’m getting DIMM board timeout when trying to set the net mask values.

Attachments

• 1ACFFC2E-25DF-4C11-925B-ED92EFC198E2.jpeg
    1ACFFC2E-25DF-4C11-925B-ED92EFC198E2.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 107

Okay seem to hit a new issue. I’m getting DIMM board timeout when trying to set the net mask values.
I had the same DIMM board timeout with my NetDimm before and it was caused by insufficient power supply. I changed to a Sun PSU and it fixed the issue.

I keep seeing people suggesting Sun PSU but I don't know which exact type to get. Do you have some sort of reference link to it? Ken also suggested just using official Naomi PSU which I find very hard to come by.

I ordered one from Yaton but it won’t get here for a while though. At least it’s the actual official Naomi psu.

Any idea what he fixed? Unfortunately shipping to him from Europe is not an option due to the high prices.

Any idea what he fixed? Unfortunately shipping to him from Europe is not an option due to the high prices.
My issue was the vga chip was loose. He had to go and reflow solder on the connections. The issue is because of the head sinks on top of the chip, reflowing solder to them is extremely difficult. You can’t just take the heat sinks off either because they’re taped on and any attempt to get them off will most likely destroy the chips.

Shite. Almost thought so. I received a black screen N1 two weeks ago that apparently also lost it's bga connection during shipping. Fan came loose and all attempts with hot air and realigning to fix this didn't work out.

I gotta check pressing the fan down on my N2 though to be sure. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah if you press down on it while it runs and it boots up, then that’s the issue. It should boot in about 12 seconds.

Non booting is very difficult to diagnose if it's not the obvious fans. It can be the rams too. No idea how Ken troubleshooted your one so fast. He is the no.1 world wide naomi expert.

He switched out the ram real fast and that wasn’t it. He tested signals and saw no data getting passed meaning nothing was booting. So his next hunch was the vga. Yeah the man knows the ins and outs of the Naomi for sure. Would be cool to do an interview with him just to get the history on Sega of America back in the 90s.

Well my current issue now is that net dimm refuses to save the IP gateway netmask settings. It keeps timing out. I just replaced the PIC but it may not like the RAM that’s in there. Someone said somewhere else they had the same issue but it went away when they changed psu? I ordered a new set of SIMMs and an official Naomi PSU so I guess I’ll have to wait until those get here.

By the way, while trying to fix my Naomi 2, I was also testing stuff out with the Naomi and trying to rule out problems. I ended up replacing the super cap on the Naomi 1 yesterday and luckily I did cause that sucker was definitely starting to leak on the bottom. It was also a huge pain in the ass getting out. I was about to give up at one point cause I couldn’t wick up all the solder from the hole and I couldn’t stick the new cap in. Luckily I finally was able to do it.

Okay responding to my previous post. I realized I didn’t check to see if there is a battery in the net dimm. Low and behold, there was no battery! Is that the reason why the dimm is timing out on write?

edit: okay I did further research and it seems the battery is only responsible for keeping the game in memory for 3 days while the arcade is powered off. So that's probably NOT the cause of my issue and I don't need to go hunt down old batteries.

884C7CB7-64E5-43EE-91B6-75E97F8D199F.jpeg

Last edited:
It won’t save the network settings if they’re not valid (the network med needs to exist)

You need to have the RPi or computer (whatever you are using to boot from) connected

You don’t need a battery, I don’t have one in mine

My RPi is connected and I’m trying to set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. It refuses to save and times out. I can’t ping the net dimm from the rpi. It just hangs.

Issue: Missing blue output, Naomi 2 board.

a cap was bulgy so I measured it and it returned 0 ... so I used another broken noami board to steal and transplant the offending cap, this one (I bet the other ones are red and green in that line) :

IMG_1368.jpg

and the result

IMG_1366.jpg

so that's one less issue to worry about but I still can't get in the test menu with this board. Tried the buttons on the cab, on the filter board, tried another filter board. Nope. Must be something else on the board. Anyone had this issue?

I have a N1 that boot real slow. System lock up at/before it finish IC9 (IC29/35 test good) Do the ram work in pairs, if so is it front to back (IC9 with IC11S) or side by side (IC9 with IC10)? Replacing IC109 did not fix my issue.

Last edited:
Back