What's new
For Sale

Joko3

Enlightened
Reaction score
Part of my moving sale. Due to time constraints, this is one of those things where I'd either like to get rid of the whole thing or just keep it all. Any game that has a battery has had it replaced in 2022, and the time/labor for doing this is reflected in the price. Some titles are more valuable, some are a little more common. Everything works. Again, not looking to break up the list. All or nothing.

PRICE: $300

Shipping via Yamato Express size 80
Use https://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/ytc/en/search/payment/ to run a quote to your country.

Titles: (CARTS ONLY)
Assault Suits Valken (uncensored version of Cybernator)
Chrono Trigger
F-Zero
Final Fantasy 6 (Final Fantasy III)
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Gradius 3
Gun Hazard
Harvest Moon
Kunio-kun
Megaman X
Oshaberi Parodius
Puzzle Bobble
Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana)
Seiken Densetsu 3
Super Bomberman 3
Super Donkey Kong (Donky Kong Country)
Super Donkey Kong 2 (Donkey Kong Country 2)
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Momotaro Dentetsu 3
Tales of Phantasia
Yoshi's Island
Zelda 3
IMG_8090.jpeg

Last edited:
Carts only, or complete?

I have most of these, but I noticed it does not say in the description and it may save you many PM's asking :)

Note on the RPGs for anyone learning Japanese; at about the JLPT N3 reading level the games will become playable (ie passed N3 studying for N2). This is about a year to two years of serious regular study if starting from nothing depending on the speed in which you learn. You'll still need to do plenty of lookups, but you won't have to painstakingly decipher every single sentence slowly. Due to many of the games using similar vocabulary once you tackle one the others will become easier. Nothing is cooler than when it finally clicks though : )

I bought many JRPGs with the intention of learning Japanese... Truth is it never went very far with family, work, etc.
What about apps like DuoLingo? Are they any good? Can you rely solely on those to learn to read Japanese?

I bought many JRPGs with the intention of learning Japanese... Truth is it never went very far with family, work, etc.
What about apps like DuoLingo? Are they any good? Can you rely solely on those to learn to read Japanese?
My learning experience may differ because I was able to attend full-time language school; however, I do have some recommendations. From nothing to basic communication level I think the Genki 1 and 2 textbooks are really good. You could probably do both within a year even with a normal busy life. Fill in the holes with other resources such as JLPT Sensei to fill in the JLPT N4 grammar points that Genki is missing and you could no doubt pass N4 within a year. JapanesePod101 is an excellent resource for listening practice as well; they have specials around New Year's to purchase a year of access for $100. After that beginner hurdle is done I recommend Tobira combined with the Kanzen Master N3 set (five books); that will take six months to a year depending on schedule. Once studying for N2 you'll be opened up to a lot more native material, so from there, do whatever you enjoy. The vocabulary and kanji jump from N3 to N2 is pretty huge so honestly you need to just read A LOT of native materials that interest you to build up reading speed and comprehension. This high beginner to solid intermediate jump is without a doubt the hardest one there is because it messes with your ego. Up until this point, most study materials are academic so they are geared towards somebody learning the language, but from this point on you are introduced to materials that are more like what you'll see here in Japan. It's probably like being the best Street Fighter player in your city to getting mopped at a national tournament in the first round. Like, "Ah crap...I still have a ways to go, don't I?". What is good about it though is that it knocks out any complacency that you might have entered and sends you back into a routine of climbing up the mountain.

As for conversation practice, there's only one way to do that, so outside of moving over here you'll need to get on an app like HelloTalk and practice with a lot of middle-aged to elderly folks who have nothing else going on than to help you practice (a lot of younger people on it can be flakey and treat the app more like Insta). The sooner you get over the fear of conversation the better. There are MANY people over here who have WAY better reading comprehension than me but can't have a conversation to save their life; they spent so much time chasing passive ability they never practiced output. Certs like JLPT N2/N1 mean nothing if you can't talk during the job interview or make friends that don't speak English...or even more importantly in my case: talk to the in-laws!

Last edited:
Will co-sign the Genki textbooks. They were the ones I too used at uni a decade ago when attempting to minor in Japanese. Very straight forward. The cartoons and CD were great.

Never met a “John Wang” in Australia though, lol.

9A6431BC-0189-4A34-9D0D-D5589D627A99.jpeg

Just a note on Puzzle Bobble. This is not an arcade port; it's an original Super Famicom game with different backgrounds and some gameplay changes. It's pretty damn cool : D

I d be interested in a few of the carts but I'm sure you want to sell as a bundle if you can! Good luck w the move!

Since you guys are asking talking about practicing JP, I can tell you that I ve used Duolingo for a year ish but IMO it's trash if that's all you're using.

I had a year of Japanese private tutoring over Skype and it gave me a foundation in forming conversational sentences and it really helps burn stuff into your brain.

Kanji was always why I never thought I could become fluent, but I use this online site called Wanikani ($10/mo after level 3) to learn kanji/vocab, and it's REALLY effective. Anyone struggling w Kanji or interested in JP, I would check it out. You practice on your own time and it has a time limit on what and when you learn.

Joko actually recommend the genki books to me, and they're a nice supplement but wanikani is chiefly what I use. On level 13 after maybe 8 months, which is 400+ Kanji and 1200-something vocab, and I'm ready shocked I can remember this shit while running a biz and with 2 small kids.

Here’s an example of homework from a couple months ago. We’d pick a news article and write a short summary of it, then write about the problems or key factors presented within in, and then our opinion about it. After it was checked we had to present it from memory in front of the class. Due to the last part it was important not to sabotage yourself by using vocabulary and grammar you didn’t fully understand 😆😂🤣

My article was about inflation in Japan and how it affects overall household comfortability/ability to raise children.

IMG_7726.jpeg

For self-study I think Genki vols. 1 and 2 are decent.

I think Minna no Nihongo is good IF you also buy all the extra supplemental books in English (or Chinese or other local language translations) that explain the grammar, the exercise drills book and more. Going through MnH Chuukyuu vols. 1 and 2 will get you to between N3 - N2.

I think for someone dedicated and has the time to study an hour or two a day getting from zero to N3 is doable in a year. It all depends on how well you can study and how much chance you have to use the language (whether interacting with people, watching and listening to content in Japanese, etc.). 使えば使うほど上手くなります! The more you use it the better you'll get.

For kanji, I really like Remembering the Kanji vol. 1. The method is teaches to remember the meanings (doesn't teach readings) and recognition doesn't work for everyone, but it definitely got me to learn and remember ~800 kanji in just a few months. Then I got distracted and didn't finish the other 1,200 in the book. ^^;;

Sale canceled. No interest was shown from anyone; too much trouble to separate. Going to keep it all.

Back