What's new
Item has been found

Lallander

Student
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a Sega Astro City. I plan to turn it into a MiSTercade. I'm potentially open to other similar candy cabs if the price is right. I think I'm wanting a two stick, twelve button setup. Looking for one in good working condition. I am no good with rewiring electronics. One close to East Tennessee would be best to save on shipping costs. If cheap enough I would want two of them to set up in Versus mode.

Thanks.

I was able to get in touch with GndZero on Facebook. He's wanting $2,100 to import an Astro City plus shipping costs. I'm relatively close so final delivery shouldn't be that expensive. Still going to be another few hundred at least though. He also won't be able to get that in until sometime next year.

A lot more than I was hoping for. If someone has one stateside already that would probably cut the expense down considerably.

I'm still not sure if the Astro City is the best option for what I am wanting to do. He has a few Blast City cabinets coming in, same price. I don't know enough this though. Would a MiSTercade setup benefit from the higher resolution monitor?

I believe in the current state of candy cabs, the price you've listed is about the median price of normal sega candies.

I would personally go with the Astro City as they are work horses and they have amazing picture in 15khz, a number of folks can fix the chassis on them (nanao/hitachi or toshiba variants).

The blast city is a great versatile cab, but the monitors on them tend to be a ticking time bomb and not many people work on the 2930/2931, you can swap over to an ms8/ms9, but you will lose the 31khz ability and you will have gaps in your bezel (if you decide to go down that path)

I can't really comment about the mistercade running at 31khz as I don't have one, but imo, you're better off running games at the resolutions they were designed for ie. run all your cps1/cps2/neo geo etc @ 15khz

Is there any benefit to going with the Astro City 2 or New Astro City? I don't really like the way the speakers look on those.
Are there any less expensive candy cabs with a similar look that might do the trick?

Astro City: $2,100
Shipping: ~$600
MiSTercade: ~$600

Add on any additional expenses such as replacing buttons, sourcing coins, ashtray, stools. This is going to be a pricey addition.

That slams right up against my maximum budget though. I was really hoping to be able to get two units for that kind of cash.

There's still a chance I might find a local seller with a lower price. Sounds like I shouldn't hold my breath though.

Be open to the idea of learning about arcade cabs and slowly developing the knowledge and skillset for some repairs if you can. These things are decades old, served in public settings, and the need for repairs, whether cosmetic or functional, won't a case of if, but when.

mr_caesar touched on the points for Astro vs Blast pretty well, which is basically that Astros are more reliable while Blasts are more versatile. Finding parts for Astro is probably easier, especially the monitor since there are various drop in replacements compared to the more unusual glass curvature of the Blast. From my personal experience, monitor removal for the Blast is also a massive pain compared to Astro if you plan to occasionally rotate for vertical games.

31khz is cool, but if your focus is MiSTer arcade gaming, probably not hugely important since it's unlikely that a significant library of 480p arcade games will make it to the current iteration of the MiSTer project, if any ever does. There might be some interesting edge cases like playing PS1, 486, X68000, but even then you can probably force the resolution to 480i should you have the infrequent need for high res.

Edit: Just saw the Astro 2 and NAC question. Astro 2 is quite rare so it will probably command a higher price. It's main feature besides better speakers is a stronger PSU for Virtua Fighter 2 back in the day. The main benefit of the NAC is better speakers and stereo support. Stock Astro Cities are stuck with mono. Best of luck on your search. COVID really pushed prices up and cab owners are keenly aware of this.

If I want to do any more modern gaming I'll either just use a modern screen or get something similar to a Viewlix later on. I would love to build a gaming PC into one of those. That will be some time from now though with the current cost of cabinets.

Sounds like one of the older cabinets is exactly what I need then. Especially if replacement parts are easier to source. Makes me feel better about going this route. I also just adore the look. I spent endless hours on various old candy cabs. I would of course love a Versus City / New Versus City, but I do not have the room for back to backs without dedicating a large space to just that.

I seriously doubt I will ever try to rotate the monitor. I had hoped to get multiple and have one permanently set in vertical mode.

Last edited:
Is there any benefit to going with the Astro City 2 or New Astro City? I don't really like the way the speakers look on those.

If you're putting in a Model 2 board at some point, then the Astro City 2 is the one you want due to the extra room at the back. I'm with Lallander, I don't really like the look of the speakers on the Astro City 2's. I personally prefer the OG astro, but if stereo sound is a factor then the NAC is the better option. NAC's also normally have MS9's in them which is arguably one of the best 15khz arcade monitors out there - I personally prefer the thicker scanlines on the MS8's so the OG astro is perfect for me :D

Are there any less expensive candy cabs with a similar look that might do the trick?

The OK baby's or the Storm City or any other clone would be cheaper, but you will end up costing more because you will buy it for the cheaper rate, and then get frustrated with it and end up buying a Japanese candy anyway :D

My motto is, buy once and save

Add on any additional expenses such as replacing buttons, sourcing coins, ashtray, stools. This is going to be a pricey addition.

Don't forget this is a hobby, you don't have to get everything straight away. You accumulate over time. If the CP isn't great but you can live it with, save up and over time, buy from alberto or Raf. Buttons/sticks will probably be an "immediate" purchase if the they are inoperable, but in my experience they will usually be sufficient albeit not the colour scheme you are after.

Coins/tokens/ashtray's are trivial things that can be purchased WAY later.

Stool wise, I would personally invest in taito stools - if you're going to be purchasing from Matt, ask about Taito stools - you'll need 43cm ones. They are, in my personal opinion, one of the best investments in this hobby to really give yourself that comfortable experience whilst playing. You can get substitute stools from Ikea or your local Target, but you will eventually gravitate to the Taito stool and once you sit on them, you'll realise what the fuss is about :D

Be open to the idea of learning about arcade cabs and slowly developing the knowledge and skillset for some repairs if you can. These things are decades old, served in public settings, and the need for repairs, whether cosmetic or functional, won't a case of if, but when.

100%

If you don't have or don't know how to use a soldering iron and digital multi meter (DMM), I cannot emphasise enough how much you should learn how to use those two in this hobby. A DMM will allow you to take accurate 12v and 5v readings from you PSU which is something everyone on this hobby should know how to do.

Soldering is probably not as important, but once you start getting into repair work or making components (Fluffy's cave pcbs for example or even installing darksoft multis), then soldering becomes another critical skill to learn/have for the hobby.

From my personal experience, monitor removal for the Blast is also a massive pain compared to Astro if you plan to occasionally rotate for vertical games.

In my experience, the blast is a massive pain in EVERYTHING compared to the astro :D (actually, I lie, the control panel removal thing on the blast is pretty cool). But yes, rotation of the monitor is a real punish, but the worst thing about the blast for me is the speaker removal.

If you're putting in a Model 2 board at some point, then the Astro City 2 is the one you want due to the extra room at the back.
I have no idea what a Model 2 board is. Is the latest version of the MiSTercade too large for the original Astro City?

if stereo sound is a factor then the NAC is the better option.
I would prefer stereo sound. I was under the impression that wasn't hard to do in the original Astro City. It's not a deal breaker though. I like the original Astro City look so much more and all.

I have no idea what a Model 2 board is. Is the latest version of the MiSTercade too large for the original Astro City

Model 2 is an older board for games like virtua fighter and daytona - since you're purely using a mistercade, there's nothing go worry about. The mistercade is tiny

I would prefer stereo sound. I was under the impression that wasn't hard to do in the original Astro City

Nah it's not hard at all, you just have to use a stereo amp

Yup, sounds like you want the astro so just order it and wait rather than compromise.

$2600 for an Astro on the east coast with 1 year wait?

I knew cabs were gonna hit $2500. So what does this mean for cabs in the west coast, ready to go without the 1 year wait? $3,000 market price for convenience? 🤷

I am no good with rewiring electronics.
You're going to have to learn. You're also going to need basic tools like a multimeter, at least a generic crimper, etc. It's not quite like buying a Dreamcast. Things will break, and you will not likely have anyone local to fix it for you. On the up-side Astros are incredibly well-documented. It's a good idea to learn to solder, but you can get away without it if you don't mind forking out.

I will keep pounding the table on the Blasts-are-not-beginner-cabs thing. You will have 4x as many headaches, harder to find parts, and harder to fix parts.

That slams right up against my maximum budget though. I was really hoping to be able to get two units for that kind of cash.
It's simply not going to happen unfortunately. Adjust either your budget or your expectations. I do think 2100 is a few hundred high, but it's hardly egregious. Good news is you're budgeting 600 to ship to begin with, so you're open to buying a cab anywhere in the country as that's just barely under what it costs coast to coast. So you have options!

Aero is probably the only regularly-cheaper-cab you're likely to find. There are of course deals, so any cab could be cheaper. But honestly you're basically at the bottom of the price-range with an Astro.

Lots of excellent advice in here. Only thing I disagree with is OK Babys are surprisingly decent, but you'll struggle to find parts if something cosmetically happens. Avoid all the other clone cabs though, they're a real mess.

Read this before you even think about a Blast City: https://lionsdenarcade.com/sega-blast-city/

tl;dr Don't get it, you're not ready to deal

You have lots of great advice in here, I'll just echo the comments that say this is what it's going to cost you. It's an "is what it is" situation. Prices are up, and you're in Tennessee. You can try and be patient and wait for a local cab to come up, but chances are

1) one won't
2) if it does they'll have paid to ship it in and will try and pass those costs along anyways

That's just the deal with not being near a port, you pay more. Can't be avoided. Your hope for two setups at that price is years behind reality I'm sorry to say.

GndZero is a good option, they'll take care of you.

I knew cabs were gonna hit $2500. So what does this mean for cabs in the west coast, ready to go without the 1 year wait? $3,000 market price for convenience?
Nah, more like half that. Always gonna be an exception for a really nice example and someone impatient and will to pay for it, but Astros on the West Coast still around.

+1 for GndZero/Matt. I've bought a number of cabs from him and they've all been solid. Waiting is the worst part. CRT cabs are naturally pretty dirty and need some TLC. I'm in KY and have driven down to pick up cabs from him before, def a road trip and generally anxiety inducing but you can save a few $ doing that, assuming you have access to a vehicle to haul it in. After that experience I resolved to just pay the shipping cost but your mileage may vary.

Also it's absolutely worth investing in a good set of JIS screwdrivers for working on these since the screw heads are all that spec rather than Phillips. I got a set of Vessel Megadora drivers and they've been really great.

It was some of the first advice given to me so I try to remember to pass it on, heh

I got that Hozan set, one of the shorter ones stripped the coinbox door screws on my Blast. I was able to salvage them with a stubby Vessel Megadora. I got all the other screws (besides one of the two control panel screws that was glued in with a ton of loctite) out with this Vessel Megadora and a bit of penetrating oil for the ones holding the body together.

I got that Hozan set, one of the shorter ones stripped the coinbox door screws on my Blast. I was able to salvage them with a stubby Vessel Megadora. I got all the other screws (besides one of the two control panel screws that was glued in with a ton of loctite) out with this Vessel Megadora and a bit of penetrating oil for the ones holding the body together.
Those coin box screws on the Blast are super easy to strip.

And I echo everyone else here, Blast City cabs are pro expert mode. I thought I got a good deal on my first one. I've quite literally taken every single part out and rebuilt it. And I'm still waiting for a fix on the monitor chassis that was beyond my experience level.

Back