What's new

Jpx72

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello

I am trying to find out if Sega Mega Play actually shows something on the second monitor that is different from the primary monitor.

There is very little information about pinouts of the Mega Play hardware but according to some forum information it should be the same as Mega Tech. On Mega Tech the monitor connectors are JST5P (small, 2nd) and JST6P (primary big display). In attachment are screenshots from both manuals with pinout.

I have managed to get the same video from the JST6P as from the Jamma interface. But nothing from the JST5P. Is my board faulty or there is no secondary monitor output?

I have googled Mega Play cabinets, but either they show the same video on both monitors, or there are pictures with 8 games menu, which is impossible on this system, so these are in fact MegaTech (see attachment).

The website https://segaretro.org/Mega_Play states:
"Like Mega-Tech it was designed with two monitors in mind, one for game selection (top) and one for the game itself (bottom), however once a game is selected the top screen will display the contents of the bottom screen, allowing passers by to see the game in action and hopefully persuade them to have a go."

Can anyone answer this?
Thank you!!!

Attachments

• Megaplay2.png
    Megaplay2.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20230430-085023_X-plore.jpg
    Screenshot_20230430-085023_X-plore.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20230430-085101_X-plore.jpg
    Screenshot_20230430-085101_X-plore.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 41
Mega Play is made compatible with the Mega Tech Cabinet because it was sold as conversion hardware. There was no "Mega Play Cabinet" but rather repurposed Mega Tech cabinets.

I have probed all the signals extensively and you only get video output from CN8, which is directly connected to the JAMMA video. On Mega Tech CN9 would have the secondary video, however on Mega Play, that connector has data signals instead.

Mega Play does not have a choice menu, and this is why the "Take Control" screen shows up before each demo when no credit inserted. And when there's credit inserted it just prompts you to press the Select button to cycle through games. So... no second monitor unless you just want to mirror the first.

@TulioAdriano Thank you so much for this answer!!! I haven't hoped for the exact answer to my question so quickly!

Yes I also measured different signals on CN9 than CN8 but I was confused with the information on some webpages. So that solves it! I'm so glad my board is not faulty nor do I lack the ability to connect the second monitor properly!

Topic SOLVED!

No problem. It just coincided that I have been actively working on the Mega Play for the past month, and the reason why is in the other thread I just posted. I was coming here to post and I saw your message in there. It's nice when the stars align like that.

Back