What's new

VodkaGobalsky

Professional
Reaction score
Small project I just did getting the Chinese JVS I/O working. I was running initially with just a Sega I/O but the colors on my machine looked washed out. I tried both Rev A and Rev B Sega I/O and both had the same issue. I didn't see the washed out colors with the Chinese I/O however but it was kind of tricky getting the kick buttons working from my CPS2 kick harness. I wasn't able to do it until now but still ran into a bit of small technical issues. I've made a brief video documenting the process. I hope this information will be helpful to people in the future as I noticed there is very very little information on working with these Chinese JVS I/Os.

View: https://youtu.be/o7MePO4c4gE

I have this same board I use on my supergun to play Naomi games on. Had the same issue with the buttons as well, and had to do the same thing to work. Not bad for cheap.

Thanks for the video. I'm new to Naomi and ended up getting the system before the IO board, and now I have the IO board on the way here, but I didn't have much luck explaining even how to hook it up. It's good to be aware of that kick glitch so that I can correct it as soon as it's here.

It seems to be that these boards are clones (if not the same, just without the metal cage) of the Capcom JVS IO boards.

A question related to that board: I saw some pictures of it hooked up and just one power connector being used on the Naomi. Is that alright? All power adapters I see supply power to both connectors, so I just want to make sure I don't slowly kill my filter board. I know this picture seems to be using a Naomi 2 but I think the question still applies.

1657824837869.png

@imfuraisoth I stumbled on this thread and your video after creating my own thread re: poor Naomi 15Khz video quality. It's great that this is potentially another IO option besides the Capcom and Sega boards. In my case, I get crap results using both the Capcom and Sega IO boards. Capcom IO is only slightly better than what the Sega board is putting out but they're both bad on the Astro City monitors.

I couldn't quite get a handle on how exactly it looks for you via Youtube but at least the colors looked like they pop, which is already better than what I'm seeing. If I get this board I can certainly live with having to rewire the kick buttons a bit, that's not a big deal to me in order to achieve a better video solution.

To be clear the linked item below is the right board, correct? And to piggyback on the other question on this thread is it even necessary to plug in the power cable via Naomi filter board? I'm powering the Naomi independently via Sun PSU because it really needs to be done this way with a netboot setup.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373955723610?hash=item57117f815a:g:bsEAAOSwx89iHmxf

And to piggyback on the other question on this thread is it even necessary to plug in the power cable via Naomi filter board? I'm powering the Naomi independently via Sun PSU because it really needs to be done this way with a netboot setup.
You definitely want to have a solid ground connection between the two boards to avoid any ground differential if boards are being powered by different sources. I wonder if the VGA cable, Audio Cable, and the USB (JVS) cable are enough to connect grounds between the IO board and Naomi.

Not sure I follow this reasoning. Sega IO doesn't have this power connector at all, stands to reason that it's not needed when the Naomi is powered independently. I've used it that way without issue in the past. Likewise with the Capcom IO, despite that one having the power connector. I leave it disconnected and it all works fine. I just want to be sure that's still the case with this other IO board. It looks a lot like the Capcom IO, so I'm gonna assume similar results in this case unless other people have different experiences.

Sorry, the only SEGA IO I know is not JAMMA, so it would get power from Naomi, rather then the edge connector. In any case, just ignore what I said. As I posted above, I'm new to this NAOMI thing.

@imfuraisoth I stumbled on this thread and your video after creating my own thread re: poor Naomi 15Khz video quality. It's great that this is potentially another IO option besides the Capcom and Sega boards. In my case, I get crap results using both the Capcom and Sega IO boards. Capcom IO is only slightly better than what the Sega board is putting out but they're both bad on the Astro City monitors.

I couldn't quite get a handle on how exactly it looks for you via Youtube but at least the colors looked like they pop, which is already better than what I'm seeing. If I get this board I can certainly live with having to rewire the kick buttons a bit, that's not a big deal to me in order to achieve a better video solution.

To be clear the linked item below is the right board, correct? And to piggyback on the other question on this thread is it even necessary to plug in the power cable via Naomi filter board? I'm powering the Naomi independently via Sun PSU because it really needs to be done this way with a netboot setup.

Yeah that's the same Chinese board I got.

Let us know how that goes. I thought the Chinese thing is a Capcom clone, so curious what kind of a difference it will make.

I finally setup my Naomi with WiPi using the capcom I/O and thought the picture looks very ordinary as well on my Sega New Astro City 15klhz screen

Back