What's new

buffi

Champion
Reaction score
The backstory here is that I want an arcade stick that I can plug directly into my Exa Arcadia, without a external IO board. Still needs an additional USB cable for power though.
I'm using a Iona USB HID IO board now which is pretty nice, but this is an other option to do it.

Basically, what I wanted is:
- Only P1 controls
- No JVS daisy chaining support
- Need to work for all my JVS equipment
- Compatible with the lower latency JVS' spec that Exa is using for new games
- Compatible with Brook Board wiring cables, so I don't need to make my own cabling.

I have a td-io JVS IO setup for my Naomi, and since that is open source, I made a small scoped down PCB using the tranceiver circuit from there. Since I only care about p1 controls, I removed the shift registers and just wired the inputs to the pico directly, and modifiedthe firmware for this instead.

Turned out like this:
jvsio.jpg

This is the first prototype, and I have some improvements I'd like to make for a v2.

exa.jpg

instick.jpg

Wont be selling this, but dev is open source and will end up at https://github.com/buffis/smol-jvs-io
Note that since this is a WIP, the project there might not reflect the board seen above

Been using this and it works real well.

Made a new ver which should be sized the same as the default pcb in the Hori RAP VX stick, so hopefully I can use it as a drop-in replacement that screws in nicely when it arrives.

Also minor silkscreen fixes, and replaced the left connector types to be compatible with "Brooks 4-Pin Button Harness" cables

Sense now also uses a resistor (like Open JVS) intead of 4 diodes, since that makes BOM simpler.

Assuming this works, it'll be final ver

xx.png

Aren’t there cases where the diode model is preferable to the resistor model for sense? Some systems had issues with a resistor alone…

Really cool project nonetheless!

Aren’t there cases where the diode model is preferable to the resistor model for sense? Some systems had issues with a resistor alone…

Really cool project nonetheless!

Yes. OpenJVS docs indicate that Triforce doesnt work with resistor solution for sense.

Anything I care about should work fine though.

Back