What's new

Kundi

Student
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a problem with my NetDIMM... I'm currently on version 3.03, booting games with Raspberry Pi and Piforce Tools is working fine.

When I try to update the firmware, I get a "Fail to write" error:

It doesn't matter if I try the 3.17, 4.01 or 4.02 update, the error is always the same.
After the failed update I can powercycle the machine and everything is still working fine.

The Dimm board itself seems to be fine, at least that's what the test says:

I already did a lot of research regarding this problem but nobody else seems to have that issue :/

Does anyone have a clue what's preventing the update? Is there a write protect jumper I did miss? Could this be a damaged flash chip?

Attachments

• writeerror.JPG
    writeerror.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 24
  • dimmtest.JPG
    dimmtest.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 23
It could very well be a bad flash chip but also could be a bad ram stick. They tend to test good in the dimm test even when they are bad.

Try using only one ram stick in the dimm during the update. If that fails try the other ram stick by itself. If both tests fail then your flash may be bad. It does happen. Especially if it is a Sharp chip.

I'm assuming your zero key pic is good?

Failed to write makes me think the flash chip is bad. ;(

Can these be replaced with a easily available component if need be?

Wow...
Ok, I got it!

I opened up the Dimm-Module removed one ram stick, fired up the update and it worked straight away!

Now all I have to do is test whether it's the stick or the ram slot that's causing problems.
Today's lesson: Never trust the dimm test!

Thank you very much, guys!

Last edited:
Make sure also that both RAM sticks are the same type. It can be pc100 or pc133 but you cant mix the two. This will also give you the same errors you are having.

Back