What's new

raven_gvda

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here, and glad to see that sites like this are still going strong.

So I have a Nanao MS9-29S (? It is very difficult to read the aged sticker) inside of a pop'n music type B cab. The image was very sharp (though the brightness drifted as it warmed up) until one day it took a dump while playing and the screen now looks like the attached image. No flickering or anything, image is stable in this squished format, and didn't make any weird sounds.

I started by recapping the chassis, reflowing suspicious or otherwise aged looking solder joints, and replaced the vertical IC (LA7838 ) and got...........absolutely nothing. Image looked exactly the same.

I pulled off the yoke to inspect it. There is no glaringly obvious damage, and the H coil reads ~0.7 ohms, and V reads ~13.5 ohms. I currently don't have an LCR meter, but I understand that some can be had for pretty cheap.

Help would be appreciated.

20230629_160439.jpg

Last edited:
The MS9 will display a weird squished image when the remote board is not connected. The first thing I would do is examine your connections on your remote board being connected to the chassis.

Last edited:
It is possible either a scrape or burn in the enamel of the yoke itself has caused it to short between the windings. It may be a lot to ask, but if you can test using another you can eliminate doubt.

Just something like a remote board connection is unlikely to cause such a funky pattern.

Thank you all for the input. A friend of mine has an Egret 2 cab for parts that I'm gonna yoink the yoke off of if it checks out. Vertical resistance should be in the 9 ohm neighborhood, correct?

Just as an aside: If you are using this in a Pop'n cabinet, unless you are playing the absolute oldest versions that run on DJ Main hardware, you might benefit from placing a 31k-capable monitor in there. A Sanwa 29E31s, Wells-Gardner D9200/D9800, Toshiba D29CR55, Nanao MS-2932/MS-2934 would all be decent options that you could install.

A 31khz sounds cool, but honestly when I'm in the zone, sweating and furiously smacking burgers, I don't feel this setup is lacking at all. I will however keep my options open if I ever come across any of those. I'm very new to the cab ownership experience and don't know many people yet, so my resources are limited (´・ω・`)

Also I got bamboozled on the parts cab, turns out it's an Egret 29 and not an Egret 2. Whoops.

A 31khz sounds cool, but honestly when I'm in the zone, sweating and furiously smacking burgers, I don't feel this setup is lacking at all. I will however keep my options open if I ever come across any of those. I'm very new to the cab ownership experience and don't know many people yet, so my resources are limited (´・ω・`)

Also I got bamboozled on the parts cab, turns out it's an Egret 29 and not an Egret 2. Whoops.
Restore that Egret 29! They're rare as hen's teeth and worth a pretty penny!

Update: I got lucky. Found the broken wire on the outside winding, and it was really close to the solder terminal, so I used a fresh wire to patch it up from the terminal. Meter read 6.7 ohms after the patch. Put everything back together, fired it up, and no more wonky squished image! I spent a bunch of time messing with the magnet rings and ended up with acceptable results. Thanks you for your input everyone, and shout out to everyone who believed in me lol.

Attachments

• 20230707_105618.jpg
    20230707_105618.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230707_210216.jpg
    20230707_210216.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 91
Update: I got lucky. Found the broken wire on the outside winding, and it was really close to the solder terminal, so I used a fresh wire to patch it up from the terminal. Meter read 6.7 ohms after the patch. Put everything back together, fired it up, and no more wonky squished image! I spent a bunch of time messing with the magnet rings and ended up with acceptable results. Thanks you for your input everyone, and shout out to everyone who believed in me lol.
It looks like you’re missing a yoke magnet, at least the one on that side. One of mine fell of a while ago and it affected convergence (also got trapped in the magnetic field and caused a lot of noise 🤣):
Post in thread 'Nanao MS8 buzzing sound'
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/nanao-ms8-buzzing-sound.19947/post-313815

It looks like you’re missing a yoke magnet, at least the one on that side. One of mine fell of a while ago and it affected convergence (also got trapped in the magnetic field and caused a lot of noise 🤣):
Post in thread 'Nanao MS8 buzzing sound'
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/nanao-ms8-buzzing-sound.19947/post-313815
That is funny actually, during transport I found what I assumed was a chipped piece of magnet stuck to the back side. It's entirely possible that it was the magnet that used to fit in that little pocket. That little guy is long gone at this point. Now I'm wondering if its worth finding an iron magnet to cut up and fit in there, or if I should just leave it as is.

That is funny actually, during transport I found what I assumed was a chipped piece of magnet stuck to the back side. It's entirely possible that it was the magnet that used to fit in that little pocket. That little guy is long gone at this point. Now I'm wondering if its worth finding an iron magnet to cut up and fit in there, or if I should just leave it as is.
These guys easily fall after so many years, so I wouldn’t be surprised if someone sold replacements 🤔

Back