What's new
Want To Buy

decimata

Student
Reaction score
I know this a long shot, but I'm in the market.

I've only ever found one BVM for sale in MA, and I hooked @ekorz up with it.
I have seen a few PVM's come and go over the past 4 years, but BVM only that one time.

I have a BVM-D20F1U, it's great, but I want bigger. I know they're super rare.

It might be easier just to buy an LG OLED C7 series.....

Ive got an XRGB frameister, perhaps an OLED is the route to go.

The Framemeister is a nice scaler, but I wouldn't say you're required to use a OLED with it.
The OSSC on the other hand will not display SNES in 4x-5x mode on great many TV models, but the B6 is AOK.

Personal openion, you do not want a BVM32" for 4:3 content.. what you have is great..the BVM32 is great for 720p stuff like the Wii U and PC..

I want something for 4:3 content bigger than 20". The BVM has spoiled me in terms of picture quality.

Skip the BVM32 and hunt down something else PVM/NEC/Mitsubishi line..I know they are hard to find an expensive but hey.. also, this recommendation might seem strange from a person that likes CRTs, the analog NT mini with HDMI output looks very good on an LCD.. maybe an LCD and the SNES version might be good enough..

how big would the screen in 4:3 be on the D32? Equivelant to around 24” or what?
Want one as well to setup next to my XM29...

Personal openion, you do not want a BVM32" for 4:3 content.. what you have is great..the BVM32 is great for 720p stuff like the Wii U and PC..
This video makes a decent argument for why 16:9 isn't bad for 4:3 content, given that so many 240p signals have weird horizontal widths:

given that so many 240p signals have weird horizontal widths
Ah but this is part of the "magic" pixels are always squaire, however on output they are mashed into a 4:3 frame...
Meaning the actual pixels you see are often times NOT square at all.

Normally we think of this kind of height/width stretching as inaccurate, like displaying a 4:3 image on a 16:9 screen set to full for example.
However in the case of original content, as it was intended to be seen...
The characters on the Sony screen are too tall/thin and IT is actually inaccurate!
teHjJq0.jpg

Too tall/thin Sony vs. Correct 4:3 aspect NEC

The pixels are being represented too closely to squaire, I will say the colors are better on the Sony.
This could be the difference in hours between the two tubes, or even wear on the caps not a true RGB vs Component color comparison...

For that you would/should be using the same tube connected both ways and compare stills, like this test I did on my old Sony 14L5 PVM.
6W3AKRJ.jpg

IMO the XM29 monitor is displaying a more accurate depiction of proper pixel aspect as it would have been viewed originally.

I feel like why bother to get a display showing the scanlines if you aren't going to display the proper aspect?
Both "features" are actually functional flaws of how CRT tech works, love it or hate it these "features" are forever historically associated with these games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly these Sony monitors are too clean for me period. Look like emulation on LCDs, I need a little fuzz on my CRT.

The one on the video is a 24" and you get same size as the "20" BVM went it is at 4:3.. the 32" is a bit bigger.. the man asked for a bigger and that is why I suggest the others.. I have a 32" and used to have the poster monitor and have an L5 PVM and a couple of NECs and a Mitsubishi.. if he wants bigger 4:3 do not look at the BVM line.. My best monitor for 4:3 content is NEC XM29plus.

Darn it I had passed on an NEC XM29 on eBay yesterday..... :(

Darn it I had passed on an NEC XM29 on eBay yesterday..... :(
good monitors do show up on eBay frequently but I'd be super cautious about shipping one that big. The nice thing about the one @jassin000 found for me was that I could pick it up personally (and that it is awesome!!). If you do find one of these huge monitors it'll probably be from SoCal and you should aks for professional packaging, if not actual shipping via freight.

Also I dunno if it's a candidate for RGB conversion but it has component. I think digital sets have some lag but it could hold you over: https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/d/sony-32trinitron-digital-tv/6345791658.html

(About conversion) https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56155

Last edited:
I'd be super cautious about shipping one that big.
I sold an XM37 on these forums and had it shipped from CA to VT without issue. Just be mindful that UPS/FedEx both now refuse CRT shipments of any size, so if you actually want to be insured, it needs to be freight.

looking at the pictures again it was a D model, and also sold now for $400...Wish this was on our side of the world.... :(
Was practically in my backyard. SoCal is pretty saturated with this kind of stuff from the industry, we're spoiled.

I'm keeping an eye out for a 20" ish CRT myself right now, there's a BVM-20F1U available, but like I said earlier, I think it's almost too good for a CRT.

Back