What's new

SF2 Pinball

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello,

First-time poster. I'm in the midst of a somewhat unique project – building a fully functional Street Fighter II: Champion Edition arcade machine using a Street Fighter II pinball cabinet.

I've been working on this for a while and have been documenting the pinball aspects of the build over on Pinside. But now I'm finally getting to the arcade guts of the thing, and it's been a learning curve. This is my first arcade machine, and I'm aiming to use genuine arcade hardware as much as possible. The LCD screen is the only exception for now. I'm considering building a custom head to fit a CRT eventually, but that's more of a phase two goal.

Right now, I'm just focused on getting the game up and running, but I've got a few questions and some things I need to sort out. I'll be digging through the forum archives to see if I can find answers, but thought I'd also post here to see if anyone has any advice or thoughts. I'll be sure to document everything as I go.

I'm planning to create custom decals to better tie the pinball and arcade elements together. I may try to do a backglass similar to the SF2 arcade glass surround decals. Eventually, I'll powder coat and decal everything, but that's down the road.

20240514_233605.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UDzuGlZ79sE

Got some youtube videos if you're interested: PLAYLIST

Of course there's a little mini arcade cabinet on the playfield too.

20240501_222551.jpg

I'm committed to using genuine arcade hardware, which includes building my own JAMMA harness. I initially tried to match the wiring colors to the pinball cabinet's scheme, but that turned out to be more complicated than I anticipated.

20240415_225021.jpg

I've made some costly mistakes on the arcade side of this project due to not researching the CPS1 hardware thoroughly enough. My goal is to have Champion Edition, but I initially bought a World Warrior board thinking it was a CE. Then thinking I could just swap the ROMs, only later realizing that wasn't possible with genuine roms. So I bought another board set, making sure it was a "dash" version. But now it turns out I've ended up with Hyper Fighting instead. I've read that I can use CE ROMs in this board, but I'm having trouble finding genuine ones so far.

20240510_194832.jpg

I've created a combined service panel with working credit and test buttons. However, I need help figuring out how to wire a rheostat into the amplified audio coming from the JAMMA harness to control the volume. I believe a 3W, 25 Ohm rheostat is appropriate, but I'm unsure of the specific wiring and don't want to damage any components.

20240415_225011.jpg

That's it for now. I work on this at night randomly when I have time. There will be long period of no progress but I'll keep the thread updated.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Back