What's new
Huh, it was getting blocked by my PiHole DNS ad filter for some reason. Thanks for the correction!
Yeah it's weird, I have to open in a new tab on my mobile for it to work. Clicking just shows a screen quickly closing.

I thought that they are most likely all the same for the S32 games. So I thought I might just be able to use the GA2 list in this thread and match the ROM file sizes to the GA2 set, thus, telling me what ROM types I need. Will this work or do they have different ROM types on an original?

The Sega System 32 Mame driver is your best friend for questions like these:

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blo...bd9946e13c8b657044f/src/mame/sega/segas32.cpp

Open it in two tabs. Search for 'ga2' in one tab and 'arabfgt' in the other. Find the line where it says 'ROM_START' in front of the rom name. Compare the two.

The only difference is ic36. On Golden Axe: RoDA ic36 is 64kb, on Arabian Fight it's 128kb. You just need to write the one for Arabian Fight as is to a 27C1000. Otherwise the two are identical for chips used.

The Sega System 32 Mame driver is your best friend for questions like these:

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blo...bd9946e13c8b657044f/src/mame/sega/segas32.cpp

Open it in two tabs. Search for 'ga2' in one tab and 'arabfgt' in the other. Find the line where it says 'ROM_START' in front of the rom name. Compare the two.

The only difference is ic36. On Golden Axe: RoDA ic36 is 64kb, on Arabian Fight it's 128kb. You just need to write the one for Arabian Fight as is to a 27C1000. Otherwise the two are identical for chips used.
Awesome, thank you so much!

Looks like the only difference is IC36. GA2 is 64kb and Arabian Fight is 128kb.

What ROM works for rhis file?

@nem put it in the spoiler, above. Just click it!

Is there any update to the System 32 multi? Did it ever get finished? I have a Spider-Man ready and waiting!

I have a Rad Rally PCB that I would like to convert to Spiderman.
After research I noticed that only Rad Mobile and Rad Rally use this exact romboard.
Spiderman use a slightly different romboard with different IC IDs
I'm stuck with these 2 racing games with just this romboard?

Is there a way to convert the numbering of the ICs of Spider man to put on this board?

I already bought a bunch of eproms I'm thinking it was for nothing

Has anyone successfully converted a Rad Mobile? I picked one up with intentions of converting it to Spiderman but the rom board is slightly different. I wanted to check before I order all the eproms.
20210725_101800.jpg
Did you succeed converting this to another game ?

Yesterday i tried to put Slipstream on that roms board, blank screen.

I moved the jumpers but the roms board for this game has more jumpers than this one, i didn't find any information of what each jumper does, such information might be able to solve the problem of using this rom board that is not the same as those games.

Did you succeed converting this to another game ?

Yesterday i tried to put Slipstream on that roms board, blank screen.

I moved the jumpers but the roms board for this game has more jumpers than this one, i didn't find any information of what each jumper does, such information might be able to solve the problem of using this rom board that is not the same as those games.

You could probably down convert (spiderman to rad mobile) fine, but going up is more difficult.
There are two (and potentially one more) big things you will have to do to convert up (834-7739-0x -> 837-7429-0x)

- Jumper values don't match for the same jumper (even though you find the associated jumper, like rad mobile jumper 15 matches spiderman jumper 22) the Up position may be switched with Down. So a direct table specifying this jumper on this board matches a jumper on that board will not just work, you would need to know Jumper 28 on Rad Mobile is equivalent to reversed jumper 25 on spiderman.
- The other issue, mentioned in your post is the extra 4 jumpers. These missing jumpers work out to Jumper 10, 11, 24 and 26. I don't know where these go off hand, and there is a chance that they are tied properly, but that chance is pretty low. This may require some cut traces and bodging if you were dead set on getting it to work.
- The other one I am uncertain of is the CNJ connector (not present on rad mobile). With decrypted roms, this may not be needed, but I am very uncertain how this connector behaves.

I might try this conversion as a pet project here in the next month, no guarantee's though.

You could probably down convert (spiderman to rad mobile) fine, but going up is more difficult.
There are two (and potentially one more) big things you will have to do to convert up (834-7739-0x -> 837-7429-0x)

- Jumper values don't match for the same jumper (even though you find the associated jumper, like rad mobile jumper 15 matches spiderman jumper 22) the Up position may be switched with Down. So a direct table specifying this jumper on this board matches a jumper on that board will not just work, you would need to know Jumper 28 on Rad Mobile is equivalent to reversed jumper 25 on spiderman.
- The other issue, mentioned in your post is the extra 4 jumpers. These missing jumpers work out to Jumper 10, 11, 24 and 26. I don't know where these go off hand, and there is a chance that they are tied properly, but that chance is pretty low. This may require some cut traces and bodging if you were dead set on getting it to work.
- The other one I am uncertain of is the CNJ connector (not present on rad mobile). With decrypted roms, this may not be needed, but I am very uncertain how this connector behaves.

I might try this conversion as a pet project here in the next month, no guarantee's though.
Spiderman is my next conversion , maybe this weekend I do.

Most eeprom sizes matches RAD Rally only the four tiles eproms are bigger.

Maybe just move a few jumpers and its done.

To convert Slipstream that i did yesterday it was just one jumper.

oh nice, you did slipstream on a 834-7739-0x?

Also, OBJ and SLC roms should be fine, it's more the SND and CPU ones that might be a bit trickier.

I've validated that the new jumpers will have no impact on a Spiderman Conversion (they all set certain pins to vcc, that were previously vcc anyways). So we look to be in luck here. The hookup of the 74F139N has been changed (and minimized due to lack of CPUP2 and CPUP3 on the newer boards). Hopefully this doesn't cause issues, I still have to look into that though.

I need to do some more vetting on this, but I'm currently thinking that this jumper configuration might work based on some tracing I've done (RM = Rad Mobile, SM = Spiderman). Let me know if you have any luck with it!

2023-09-02 13_58_59-System 32 Rom Board Configs.xlsx - Excel.png

Also, unlike Rad Mobile, you will want to put the CPUP ROMS in CPUP0 and CPUP1 (leave CPUP2 and CPUP3 empty)

UPDATE: SLC Jumpers do not need to be updated upon further inspection. Leave as is. Down to 4 Jumper changes now

Last edited:
I've validated that the new jumpers will have no impact on a Spiderman Conversion (they all set certain pins to vcc, that were previously vcc anyways). So we look to be in luck here. The hookup of the 74F139N has been changed (and minimized due to lack of CPUP2 and CPUP3 on the newer boards). Hopefully this doesn't cause issues, I still have to look into that though.

I need to do some more vetting on this, but I'm currently thinking that this jumper configuration might work based on some tracing I've done (RM = Rad Mobile, SM = Spiderman). Let me know if you have any luck with it!

2023-09-02 13_58_59-System 32 Rom Board Configs.xlsx - Excel.png

Also, unlike Rad Mobile, you will want to put the CPUP ROMS in CPUP0 and CPUP1 (leave CPUP2 and CPUP3 empty)

UPDATE: SLC Jumpers do not need to be updated upon further inspection. Leave as is. Down to 4 Jumper changes now
Here spider man did not work.

To be sure, I changed the position of the eproms Prog0 and Prog1 , Data0 and Data1, in the hope that they were in the wrong socket,

I think the problem is in the jumpers, it needs to be set for smaller eproms.

Data0 and Data1 are only 1Mbit and in Rad Mobile/Slipstream they are 4Mbit.

In the pics I saw of the Spiderman PCB the DATA eproms are AM27C100 they are non-JEDEC, so when the jumpers are set correctly, probably the eproms in the DATA0 and DATA1 slots will have to be non-JEDEC too.

I can burn 27C100 eprom , but I don't have two at the moment to do this test.

Here spider man did not work.

To be sure, I changed the position of the eproms Prog0 and Prog1 , Data0 and Data1, in the hope that they were in the wrong socket,

I think the problem is in the jumpers, it needs to be set for smaller eproms.

Data0 and Data1 are only 1Mbit and in Rad Mobile/Slipstream they are 4Mbit.

In the pics I saw of the Spiderman PCB the DATA eproms are AM27C100 they are non-JEDEC, so when the jumpers are set correctly, probably the eproms in the DATA0 and DATA1 slots will have to be non-JEDEC too.

I can burn 27C100 eprom , but I don't have two at the moment to do this test.

Here's all the jumper settings in a table I did up today, and their respective JEDEC vs Non JEDEC settings. Seems like you know what to look for, pins 2 and 24 swapping.
I got my spiderman board already decrypted, so my board is a blend of JEDEC and non JEDEC settings, which probably really messed up the help I gave earlier. Here's my entire table for the 834-7739-01. Hope this helps! (Ignore the r3 and r1 in the column headings).

2023-09-02 22_37_11-System 32 Rom Board Configs.xlsx - Excel.png

Here's all the jumper settings in a table I did up today, and their respective JEDEC vs Non JEDEC settings. Seems like you know what to look for, pins 2 and 24 swapping.
I got my spiderman board already decrypted, so my board is a blend of JEDEC and non JEDEC settings, which probably really messed up the help I gave earlier. Here's my entire table for the 834-7739-01. Hope this helps! (Ignore the r3 and r1 in the column headings).

2023-09-02 22_37_11-System 32 Rom Board Configs.xlsx - Excel.png
Further more to all of this.

I confirmed that the PAL is hooked up identically between both boards, then I confirmed that the connector CNJ does not do anything with decrypted ROMS. So then in the process of elimination I moved on to the 74F139N. This is where things got a bit more interesting.
The 74F139N is the chip that determines the CE pin of the CPUP chips (CPUP0, 1, 2, 3). Since we only have 2 CPUP chips on the Spiderman board, I expected that this might be less on the output side, however, it is more than that. Here's the wiring table I did up showing the difference of the 74F139N between both boards

2023-09-03 22_27_08-System 32 Rom Board Configs.xlsx - Excel.png

First off, the pins 13,14,15 are useless. looks like a half baked implementation of something that didn't go anywhere since there are no outputs to these (unless someone can tell me otherwise). Pins 6 and 7 have been removed since CPUP2 and CPUP3 have been removed, and because of that, A1a is set to ground. Nothing shocking there.
However, Pin 2 has been changed from C6 to B7. This is the pin that essentially is selecting which memory to pull from on the CPUP bus. By tying pin 2 to B7, that might fix this conversion. If you are able to try this, let me know if it resolved the issue.

It was killing me to know if this would do it, so I did the conversion myself...... and it worked!

I believe my jumper settings in the above table are wonky (my reverses aren't correct after jumper 13 (the CPU and SND bank)). You can see what jumpers I used in my attached pictures. I'll come back tonight and fix that table up. (At least you will be able to determine the JEDEC vs non JEDEC jumpers and work it out yourself)
For a quick hit job, you could clip the pal wires if you want a more permanent solution, instead I opted to socket the 74F139N so I could go back, as I will want to return my spiderman roms to their original board tonight..

Anyways, picture or it didn't happen..... right?

Attachments

• PXL_20230905_114715621.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230905_114715621.MP.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20230905_114842861.jpg
    PXL_20230905_114842861.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20230905_114904661.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230905_114904661.MP.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: nem
It was killing me to know if this would do it, so I did the conversion myself...... and it worked!

I believe my jumper settings in the above table are wonky (my reverses aren't correct after jumper 13 (the CPU and SND bank)). You can see what jumpers I used in my attached pictures. I'll come back tonight and fix that table up. (At least you will be able to determine the JEDEC vs non JEDEC jumpers and work it out yourself)
For a quick hit job, you could clip the pal wires if you want a more permanent solution, instead I opted to socket the 74F139N so I could go back, as I will want to return my spiderman roms to their original board tonight..

Anyways, picture or it didn't happen..... right?
Good job !

I'm curious why this game requires this modification, it must be something in its programming code that didn't accept the rom board as it is.

Since I didn't own the other model ROM board, I was at a dead end, I had nothing to compare and think of what mod to fix.

My Slipstrem conversion was 99% luck, not much brain work involved, for the same reason.

I just thought why not try it, I tried it and it worked.

Good job !

I'm curious why this game requires this modification, it must be something in its programming code that didn't accept the rom board as it is.

Since I didn't own the other model ROM board, I was at a dead end, I had nothing to compare and think of what mod to fix.

My Slipstrem conversion was 99% luck, not much brain work involved, for the same reason.

I just thought why not try it, I tried it and it worked.

Yeah, I saw your slipstream conversion. Awesome job on it as well.

I totally agree with you, I can't figure out the logic/reason for why the two rom boards have two separate pins to enable the CPUP chips, when the chips are the same capacity.
I was doubting that this would do it as well after reading your slipstream conversion thread, since that could be ported with relative ease, but spiderman couldn't. Anyways, glad we've got it. Let me know if you run into any more troubles.

I'm also wondering if slipstream would work with this modification without splitting the rom.

Back