What's new
This doesn’t make sense.
im on the same settings, using the HAS and this is what Darius looks like for me:
E42B506E-A562-4CA3-8D13-E0605214252E.jpeg

What monitor are you using? What version of HAS? (I'm on 4.1). Try cycling through your R5X H.Sampling and LPF?

I'm also using Darksoft F3 Multi and Mini-Din to SCART if that makes any difference.

I bought another R5X for my Vewlix to pair up with @Invzm's Jammafier. Now let's hope the Vewlix C stock screen is up for the task haha.
Be aware you need to attenuate the video signals and sync to do that safely, the tri-sync-helper outputs TTL level sync so you can't feed that directly to the R5X.

Be aware you need to attenuate the video signals and sync to do that safely, the tri-sync-helper outputs TTL level sync so you can't feed that directly to the R5X.

Got it! I plan on using TianFeng’s HD15-2-Scart adapter that’s supposed to attenuate. Well see once it finally arrives.
Jammifer itself output at TTL or pass thru?

What monitor are you using? What version of HAS? (I'm on 4.1). Try cycling through your R5X H.Sampling and LPF?

I'm also using Darksoft F3 Multi and Mini-Din to SCART if that makes any difference.
Oh damn, I'm on v3.2 . I haven't been keeping up with the HAS updates and didn't realize it's up to 4.1 now with added sync changes.
That's probably why. Dammit, that just negates all the testing i've done in the last few days...

I guess my next try is going to be hooking up the Splitfire from my cabinet set-up, to a VGA to SCART solution, into the 5x. That would be my normal use-case anyways. I mainly use the HAS for test, repair and smoke testing purposes.

Anyone know of a good VGA to SCART solution?

Oh damn, I'm on v3.2 . I haven't been keeping up with the HAS updates and didn't realize it's up to 4.1 now with added sync changes.
That's probably why. Dammit, that just negates all the testing i've done in the last few days...

I guess my next try is going to be hooking up the Splitfire from my cabinet set-up, to a VGA to SCART solution, into the 5x. That would be my normal use-case anyways. I mainly use the HAS for test, repair and smoke testing purposes.

Anyone know of a good VGA to SCART solution?

Yep. TianFeng's HD15-2-Scart. Waiting for mine to arrive.

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/rondo-products-hd15-2-scart

Had a play with the RetroTink 5X-Pro, and it is indeed very nice hardware. It's not optimized for arcade at all for the time being though, but this may change in the future.

A safe setup is
Jammafier -> Tri-Sync Helper set to CSYNC -> special scart cable -> RetroTink 5X.

The Tri-Sync helper cleans up weird arcade sync to make life a little easier for the 5X, and attenuates RGB so the 5X can handle them.
I found this scart cable which is perfect https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/analogue-nt-mini-rgb-scart-cable-packapunch , it routes audio, does not touch RGB, but has a 470 ohm resistor on the sync line which is what you need to bring TTL/Arcade sync levels down to scart level.

The issues I found were basically incomplete sampling of horizontal lines, which I think is quite solvable in a future firmware update. It also cuts vertical lines on games that has a high vertical resolution, but I'm not sure this has an easy fix. Shouldn't be a major issue for most games though. Some games showed PLL issues on the 5X, indicated by a top screen being swirly, not sure this can be corrected in a firmware update.

Summary: unbeatable on LCD if the particular game you want works, future firmware could improve compatibility for many but not all titles.

IMG_1796.jpegIMG_1797.jpeg

So I'm also struggling to get my F3 running on an LCD. Current setup is Minigun Supergun > RGB SCART > sync strike > OSSC > Vewlix "C" LCD. But I get the curved image.
IMG_1174.jpg

Not too bad (seen other F3 setups with worse) but still annoying. Looked at the tri-sync helper, but not sure what it would do different than the sync strike. Not yet taken the plunge on a RetroTink5x, but I have some 2x's around. Might try going to component from the SCART and trying that... but if there's a definite solution, using any combination of hardware, I'd love to know.

So I'm also struggling to get my F3 running on an LCD. Current setup is Minigun Supergun > RGB SCART > sync strike > OSSC > Vewlix "C" LCD. But I get the curved image.
IMG_1174.jpg

Not too bad (seen other F3 setups with worse) but still annoying. Looked at the tri-sync helper, but not sure what it would do different than the sync strike. Not yet taken the plunge on a RetroTink5x, but I have some 2x's around. Might try going to component from the SCART and trying that... but if there's a definite solution, using any combination of hardware, I'd love to know.
U'll get the same issue with the tink 5x. It seems in my case, it only does it on elevator action returns too. Even with an extron rgb192. U can get rid of the top wrap but it cuts some pixels off the right side of the display all the way to the 0 in credit 0 on the bottom right corner. Neither way is ideal, but that's arcade sync for ya. Hoping a universal cleaner comes along that will solve these issues as well as the midway and seibu (and other) fucky res and refresh rates.

U'll get the same issue with the tink 5x. It seems in my case, it only does it on elevator action returns too. Even with an extron rgb192. U can get rid of the top wrap but it cuts some pixels off the right side of the display all the way to the 0 in credit 0 on the bottom right corner. Neither way is ideal, but that's arcade sync for ya. Hoping a universal cleaner comes along that will solve these issues as well as the midway and seibu (and other) fucky res and refresh rates.
Ah... thinking on it, I may not have tried any other games. Should do that...

@imbord3rlin3 still see it with Bubble Bobble, if less pronounced than in Elevator Action.
IMG_1176.jpg

This is again going through the rats next of Minigun Supergun > RGB SCART > sync strike > OSSC > Vewlix "C" LCD
IMG_1177.jpg

Last edited:
im not too well versed on it, but i think there might be custom profiles for capturing F3 with ossc. might be worth looking into @Kujako

im not too well versed on it, but i think there might be custom profiles for capturing F3 with ossc. might be worth looking into @Kujako
Yeah... so far I've avoided dealing with any custom profiles. But think I may have to go down that road.

The two specific settings I see called out are...
H-PLL pre-coast: 4
H-PLL post-coast: 4

Games running on this PCB use 240p with constant even field indicator. OSSC's video digitizer chip does not recognize it properly, but there are a couple different workarounds:
  • If the board is connected to AV1, select the input on OSSC before starting up the game and do not change it during game play. Alternatively hook up another 240p source to AV2, and switch from AV2 to AV1 while both sources are active.
  • A more robust method is to hook up the board/Supergun to AV3 RGBS input (TTL-level csync to pin 13 of DE-15 connector) which has slightly different sync processing than AV1/2 analog sync inputs.
  • AV1 connection can be used reliably with a small HW modification together with above H-PLL settings
Will give that a try tonight if I can figure out how to do it.

Don't want to derail this thread as I'm discussing OSSC rather than the RetroTink5x, but wanted to follow up in case anyone else finds this discussion.

The two settings I listed before...
H-PLL pre-coast: 4
H-PLL post-coast: 4
do work, the curve at the top of the screen is correctly adjusted. Even on elevator action. Still a bit off center... but I'll work on that some other day.
IMG_1178.jpgIMG_1179.jpg

Back